PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Under Armor

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Under Armor

Postby sacklunch » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:28 pm

This is just me speculating and putting rumors together.

It seems like Under Armour's sponsorship caused Eman's ineligibility and then UA went ahead and put together the deal for him to go overseas.

I'd bet big money he also signs an endorsement deal with them soon.

I'll be curious to see what this NCAA investigation leads to.....not sure how they can punish Under Armor at all....
sacklunch
Varsity

Re: Under Armor

Postby gostangs » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:30 pm

how'd you like to have Larry Brown all over the country talking down your brand
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby chpalmer24 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:54 pm

It'll be telling if the NCAA goes after UA. If they were the source of the violations through High School sponsorship the NCAA might do something to their involvement in NCAA activities
chpalmer24
Recruit

Postby B1GPonyFan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:16 pm

Presuming this is true, Mudiay isn't the victim here even if he wasn't directly involved. His side was a willing accomplice. But this is the ugliness that comes with these types of players. Occasionally it bubbles to the surface.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby SMUer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:52 pm

It's possible to get money for mom and not get caught...only at SMU...
SMUer

Postby gostangs » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:29 pm

the mom thing is an excuse. Not the issue.
gostangs

Postby smusportspage » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:49 pm

How is it that UK, Louisville, Syracuse, Memphis, Arizona, Indiana not seem.to have these issues. Don't their players have Mamas too?
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:15 am

B1GPonyFan wrote:Presuming this is true, Mudiay isn't the victim here even if he wasn't directly involved. His side was a willing accomplice. But this is the ugliness that comes with these types of players. Occasionally it bubbles to the surface.

Baylor seems to do very well going after them as you have reported on the other site.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby Zman89 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:05 am

smusportspage wrote:How is it that UK, Louisville, Syracuse, Memphis, Arizona, Indiana not seem.to have these issues. Don't their players have Mamas too?

The good thing is that the Ponies can go through this season without having eligibility issues creeping up. We have a very good team returning and know what to expect from each player. I don't think the team is worried about the upcoming season. These kind of things sometimes makes a team stronger.
Zman89
Varsity

Postby Treadway21 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:13 am

Zman89 wrote:
smusportspage wrote:How is it that UK, Louisville, Syracuse, Memphis, Arizona, Indiana not seem.to have these issues. Don't their players have Mamas too?

The good thing is that the Ponies can go through this season without having eligibility issues creeping up. We have a very good team returning and know what to expect from each player. I don't think the team is worried about the upcoming season. These kind of things sometimes makes a team stronger.

I agree. We had a tight team before and this only make them more hungry. I suspect that as disappointed as the players are, they will also want to prove they are than a team on 1 guy.

I suspect that this will change the dynamic on the one and done players. If Eman makes this work, others will go the same route and take the money a year sooner rather than going through the charade of going to college for a year.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Zman89 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:27 am

What needs to be done Treadway if the athlete has no intention of going to college put them all in a sports academy and just let them hone their skills in whatever sport they're in. At least coaches won't have to waste time on them. If they don't make it big time that's life.
Zman89
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:46 am

I don't even follow national college basketball that closely and even I know that just about all those schools have had recent eligibility issues with high school superstars -some with multiple players. Now maybe they didn't have a kid decide to abandon college basketball-but maybe it wasn't as voluntary a decision as it appears. Some just focus too closely on their own teams
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonySnob » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:05 am

Zman89 wrote:

Speaking of eligibility, any idea as to how the rest of the roster is looking with being eligible to play this next season?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby smusportspage » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:06 am

Stallion....Exactly my point. These other schools have found away to make it work. How is that? No, this was not a voluntary decision.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:07 am

chpalmer24 wrote:It'll be telling if the NCAA goes after UA. If they were the source of the violations through High School sponsorship the NCAA might do something to their involvement in NCAA activities

Not going to happen. The member schools that benefit from UA sponsorship dollars would go ballistic.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball