PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Mudiay PR

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Mudiay PR

Postby PonyTime » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:10 am

Is highly over-rated. Some on here have suggested that the great PR we received form the commit was worth the scholarship being held until a few weeks before school.

According to the Ticket this morning - the top sports news from yesterday - in order:

1 Homerun Derby
2 Tour De France
3 Unveiling of new BCS trophy

No mention of SMU/Mudiay. Imagine if a lotto pick PG decided not to sign with the Mavericks and went to play overseas...

I am ok with no mention - but I just want to point out that the coverage of Mudiay is not really what some of you think it is...
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: The Mudiay PR

Postby ponyinNC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:13 am

it was on the espn ticker this morning on both sportscenter and Mike and Mike...

I had multiple friends in different cities text me about it, and they do not follow SMU at all, so I think there is some PR - but you are right, nationally this is pretty much a non-story. Just another ineligible NCAA player, like Shabazz before him.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:54 am

I was driving all day and couldn't get away from it. Every station discussed it..maybe not for long, but they discussed it. ESPN guys kept saying how bad they felt for LB
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Grant Carter » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:57 am

Fifth story on PTI yesterday.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby FriscoPMG » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:59 am

I love the Ticket and especially the Musers, but I wouldn't really gauge the hottest sports stories by what they discuss. I suspect Norm will do a much better job of covering it in the next 2 hrs.

But to your point, SMU would've still received substantial PR last year because of what LB was/is doing.
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby Arkpony » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 am

It had good coverage in today's major newspaper in Arkansas.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby FriscoPMG » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:29 am

FriscoPMG wrote:I love the Ticket and especially the Musers, but I wouldn't really gauge the hottest sports stories by what they discuss. I suspect Norm will do a much better job of covering it in the next 2 hrs.

But to your point, SMU would've still received substantial PR last year because of what LB was/is doing.

Well Norm is on vacation this week, but the Sirois brothers are going to talk about it next on the Ticket...
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:33 am

Yeah it's awesome getting publicity about a blue-chip player who ISN'T coming here. I love it. I wish this would happen more often.........
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:44 am

The Ticket is doing a long segment on this now. So far pretty pro SMU
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby FC Pony Galaxy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:49 am

I found out from non-SMU people at work in Los Angeles, a classmate from Kansas, and about 3 or 4 links about the situation were staring at me on ESPN.com, burning into my soul...not sure about Dallas radio but it seemed fairly significant in the sports world yesterday.
FC Pony Galaxy

Postby arekp01 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:50 am

I don't know, I think this is different than the supposed PR we received from getting a token mention from the Harrison twins while they were narrowing down schools. We just got 11 solid months of being able to project to high schoolers that we are good enough for the best guard in the country. If that got our foot in the door with one 5 star player that wouldn't have considered us otherwise, then there's something we can take from the whole ordeal.
arekp01
Recruit

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:54 am

This is the epitome of SMU loser mentality. Hey, we didn't actually get him, but we got some good publicity! People think we're legit now!

We were ranked #18 in the country last year. We beat the eventual national champion twice. We beat the #7 team in the nation (on a fifteen game winning streak) like a [deleted] drum on national TV. We'd already established we could play with the big boys; we needed Mudiay playing for us, not this "good" PR.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby FC Pony Galaxy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:56 am

I think we're still top 25 this year. Maybe not preseason top 25 but we can get there. Call me naive but the squad is more or less the same as last year.
FC Pony Galaxy

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:57 am

The Sirois Brithers are filling for Norm. They are from FLA and do not have any SMU ties but they are pretty dialed into the sports seen here. I thought they way they viewed this is how most in the area do - he's doing this for his family and this is not a negative reflection on SMU. In fact, this shows that SMU can compete with the blue bloods of college basketball in getting a commitment from a kid this talented. Also, the biggest thing I took away from this is they knew about Nic and Markus, and about their games. People outside of SMU know who our guys are now. That's progress.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby arekp01 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:01 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:This is the epitome of SMU loser mentality. Hey, we didn't actually get him, but we got some good publicity! People think we're legit now!

We were ranked #18 in the country last year. We beat the eventual national champion twice. We beat the #7 team in the nation (on a fifteen game winning streak) like a [deleted] drum on national TV. We'd already established we could play with the big boys; we needed Mudiay playing for us, not this "good" PR.

I would also like to argue against the people who think this is better than him actually playing for us, whoever those people are. The OP is saying that the good PR doesn't mean anything/exist. I simply disagree with that point, I would have to think this gave us some extra exposure to 2015 and beyond recruits during the past year. It's now up to our staff to seal the deal on some of those, but if Mudiay served as the impetus for their interest or at least legitimized it, then it's hard to argue that this whole thing had a net zero effect on our program.
arekp01
Recruit

Next

Return to Basketball