PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Mudiay PR

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: The Mudiay PR

Postby PonySnob » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:04 am

LA_Mustang wrote:I thought they way they viewed this is how most in the area do - he's doing this for his family and this is not a negative reflection on SMU.

There is much more to it than just helping his family.........
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:17 am

Of course we know that. I was just trying to give a example of how the general public is viewing it........
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyTime » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:36 am

arekp01 wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:This is the epitome of SMU loser mentality. Hey, we didn't actually get him, but we got some good publicity! People think we're legit now!

We were ranked #18 in the country last year. We beat the eventual national champion twice. We beat the #7 team in the nation (on a fifteen game winning streak) like a [deleted] drum on national TV. We'd already established we could play with the big boys; we needed Mudiay playing for us, not this "good" PR.

I would also like to argue against the people who think this is better than him actually playing for us, whoever those people are. The OP is saying that the good PR doesn't mean anything/exist. I simply disagree with that point, I would have to think this gave us some extra exposure to 2015 and beyond recruits during the past year. It's now up to our staff to seal the deal on some of those, but if Mudiay served as the impetus for their interest or at least legitimized it, then it's hard to argue that this whole thing had a net zero effect on our program.

Only argued that the PR is not really what some think it is. Many on this forum read the bball blogs and tweets on a regular basis. The average Joe does not. Yes - it is better that he signed with us than never signing at all. I get that. But those that want to spin this as something more than it is are over-estimating the impact of the positive Mudiay PR.

We got more positive PR from being snubbed by the NCAA selection committee...
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby FriscoPMG » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:22 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:The Sirois Brithers are filling for Norm. They are from FLA and do not have any SMU ties but they are pretty dialed into the sports seen here. I thought they way they viewed this is how most in the area do - he's doing this for his family and this is not a negative reflection on SMU. In fact, this shows that SMU can compete with the blue bloods of college basketball in getting a commitment from a kid this talented. Also, the biggest thing I took away from this is they knew about Nic and Markus, and about their games. People outside of SMU know who our guys are now. That's progress.

I was also impressed with how in tune they were with the present SMU program. They had nothing but good things to say about the program. As for Mudiay, it was also a different perspective than what we're all seeing (for obvious reasons), but they were all for a player with definite NBA talent turning pro straight out of high school - even if that means playing overseas for one season.
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby Grant Carter » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:47 pm

PonyTime wrote:
arekp01 wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:This is the epitome of SMU loser mentality. Hey, we didn't actually get him, but we got some good publicity! People think we're legit now!

We were ranked #18 in the country last year. We beat the eventual national champion twice. We beat the #7 team in the nation (on a fifteen game winning streak) like a [deleted] drum on national TV. We'd already established we could play with the big boys; we needed Mudiay playing for us, not this "good" PR.

I would also like to argue against the people who think this is better than him actually playing for us, whoever those people are. The OP is saying that the good PR doesn't mean anything/exist. I simply disagree with that point, I would have to think this gave us some extra exposure to 2015 and beyond recruits during the past year. It's now up to our staff to seal the deal on some of those, but if Mudiay served as the impetus for their interest or at least legitimized it, then it's hard to argue that this whole thing had a net zero effect on our program.

Only argued that the PR is not really what some think it is. Many on this forum read the bball blogs and tweets on a regular basis. The average Joe does not. Yes - it is better that he signed with us than never signing at all. I get that. But those that want to spin this as something more than it is are over-estimating the impact of the positive Mudiay PR.

We got more positive PR from being snubbed by the NCAA selection committee...

Who are the people spinning it that you refer to?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU2007 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:33 am

Completely agree ECM.
SMU2007

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:59 am

This whole thing just stinks to high heaven and there is no way NOT having EM could possibly be better than having him.

But, at the same time, we are getting coverage in ways we never thought possible a few years back.

As the saying goes: there is no such thing as bad PR.

We take another step from SM-who? to SMU.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mrydel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:20 am

Certainly is not good news but there are some things that impress me. First, I am not hearing talk about SMU having done anything improper. That alone to me is amazing. Good damage control from a PR stand point. Second, it seems most publicity says we will still be a strong contender in the AAC and most have kept us at the top. Definitely good.

Don't confuse the devastating loss as being considered good PR. The good PR is that we are remaining a respected player in the upcoming season.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:42 am

I don't think anyone is saying this is better then him playing for us. I think this team is a potential final four with him - and just another tournament team (hopefully) without. last year UConn was not considered a national champion contender - so we just have to get in the tourney and hope for a decent pathway to a few levels.

Most people with a brain realize he would not do this for his mom - it doesn't even make financial sense. He got something on the side from some non SMU person (UA or an agent) and either didn't realize it or thought it would go away - and it didn't. This became the only move that could still get him in the NBA in a year.

Its not worth mentioning the benefit of some PR about this to the school - but I guess there is some very small plus to that. The news is already gone today and over so pretty insignificant. Winning at the very top level is the only thing that sustains interest.

That's why our football will never be there in this conference - we cant get to the top level unless we beat our old SWC foes - which we cant do with this staff. But that is for a different board.
gostangs

Postby Nacho » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am

i am very disappointed that someone who professes to be religious won't tell the truth.
Nacho

Postby ponyinNC » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:22 am

Nacho wrote:i am very disappointed that someone who professes to be religious won't tell the truth.

You are setting yourself up for major disappointment for the rest of your life if you think that religiousness = honesty.

Usually, it is quite the opposite:

I give you the Catholic Church, and I rest my case.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball