PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Addition by Subtraction

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Addition by Subtraction

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:50 am

This is in no way to disparage either Eman the player or the person. He is by all accounts a humble and magnificently talented player. He's a lottery pick blah blah blah.

That said, his addition forced our best player, a first team AAC kid as a soph, off the ball. I'm not going to tell you we would have been worse b/c of it, but I will tell you we'll be better in the locker room b/c of Emans absence. Again, not b/c Eman is a bad kid or wouldn't say the right things, but chemistry matters, and this was Nics team last year, this year, and next year. You don't pull a competitor like Nic, a PG his entire life, off the ball, and expect that to be ok anywhere, other than the media. I'm not saying Nic would have pouted either, just that there is a natural order and human nature.

Also, by adding Martin, you have an established natural 3. Gone is the dilemma of what you do w/your best frosh last year, Sterling Brown. He's everything Brown loves, has length, physical defends, knocks down open 3s. Now you jus move Sterling to the 2 and insert Martin.

We're still deep, but things are simplified, and we're asking less elite kids to swallow their pride.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Addition by Subtraction

Postby OhioBrownFan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:57 am

The two transfers are both big contributors, will make practices more competitive and going to upgrade. I like Martin's game a lot, always have.

As for the first part, I really believe Mudiay was going to spend the majority of his time off the ball. Maybe not, but I did feel Nic is the much better decision maker and obviously I saw a high school Mudiay, but I thought Larry would stick with him.

I don't know that it's addition but it's still a top 15 team in my eyes. That's due to the transfers and the core returning a year older. Just my two cents. Good post. I'll hit you with a PM about the Peach Jam.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:59 am

i've been thinking this too. The problem for me was that everyone knew Mudiay was a one and done. At least with guys like Randall and Wiggins, there was a small shadow of doubt left about whether they would leave after one year or not, AND they weren't point guards. To turn the team over to Mudiay for one year only, that had the ability to backfire written all over it. If we was going to stay two years, that would have felt different.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CoxMustangFan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:04 am

Great post X. I've tried to post several times and have ultimately deleted them. Losing E sucks, but his long term value was largely legacy and perception. The team should be top 20 all year (if Nic doesn't get hurt...knock on wood) with some tourney wins.

It's going to be a great year and this upcoming class is going to be salty.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby ideal » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:05 am

Very astute observation, could not agree more.
The ncaa is a R.I.C.O.
ideal
Junior Varsity

Postby JoeKidd » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:12 am

I had said before that my worry going into this season was the chemistry, which definitely matters and this has simplified the roster a bit. We are better this year and definitely a top 20 team.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:15 am

Please explain to me how we're not completely [deleted] when Nic picks up two fouls in first ten minutes (or three early in the second half) against a decent opponent.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:16 am

Hoop Fan wrote:i've been thinking this too. The problem for me was that everyone knew Mudiay was a one and done. At least with guys like Randall and Wiggins, there was a small shadow of doubt left about whether they would leave after one year or not, AND they weren't point guards. To turn the team over to Mudiay for one year only, that had the ability to backfire written all over it. If we was going to stay two years, that would have felt different.

I'm a firm believer in having the most & best talent, let there be no doubt of that. For the most part, I feel it should be naturally slotted. I'm not saying this w/regards to LB, but I know of one other HOF HC who routinely played top 50 kids, local superstars, out of position. It may get you wins, and probably is what's best for the team in some instances, but it has major program wide repercussions.

THe biggest flaw on this board last summer, as well as my PMs on twitter, was SMU fans and Keith Fraziers peeps, blabbering about what type of impact he'd have at SMU right away. Pretty much everyone here thought he'd start, and Fraziers own folks thought he was a lock for SMU leading scorer. To say, w/o question, he was SMUs worst frosh last year is a sizable about face. Mudiay isnt Frazier and his hype far more warranted, but as a few of us have been saying since day 1, he was never going to be a big number guy.

I would have loved to see Mudiay at SMU, but his absence doesn't make us worse. It just makes us different, and make sense chemistry can always make up the difference
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:31 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Please explain to me how we're not completely [deleted] when Nic picks up two fouls in first ten minutes (or three early in the second half) against a decent opponent.

Such a sky is falling, over-reaction. That happened maybe twice last year, once vs the defending national champs. Sure, the offense stagnates, but every team in America suffers when their best player gets in foul trouble. We have several kids capable of sharing the responsibility. It doesnt have to be manned by one guy. Lets matchups dictate
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby OhioBrownFan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:33 am

hoopmanx wrote:
Hoop Fan wrote:i've been thinking this too. The problem for me was that everyone knew Mudiay was a one and done. At least with guys like Randall and Wiggins, there was a small shadow of doubt left about whether they would leave after one year or not, AND they weren't point guards. To turn the team over to Mudiay for one year only, that had the ability to backfire written all over it. If we was going to stay two years, that would have felt different.

I'm a firm believer in having the most & best talent, let there be no doubt of that. For the most part, I feel it should be naturally slotted. I'm not saying this w/regards to LB, but I know of one other HOF HC who routinely played top 50 kids, local superstars, out of position. It may get you wins, and probably is what's best for the team in some instances, but it has major program wide repercussions.

THe biggest flaw on this board last summer, as well as my PMs on twitter, was SMU fans and Keith Fraziers peeps, blabbering about what type of impact he'd have at SMU right away. Pretty much everyone here thought he'd start, and Fraziers own folks thought he was a lock for SMU leading scorer. To say, w/o question, he was SMUs worst frosh last year is a sizable about face. Mudiay isnt Frazier and his hype far more warranted, but as a few of us have been saying since day 1, he was never going to be a big number guy.

I would have loved to see Mudiay at SMU, but his absence doesn't make us worse. It just makes us different, and make sense chemistry can always make up the difference

His biggest asset was always going to be his ability to relieve pressure both by handling the ball and being a threat from the wing, something the team lacked. He's not the guy that's getting 20 a night but his impact comes from having a second PG on the floor that is big, can grab boards, slash to the rim, finish in transition, ect. I think those are the biggest things that were lost.

ECM, I agree. Ryan Manuel is not a championship caliber back-up. Not to rip on him or anything like that, but he's probably not on scholarship if he wasn't a hold-over pre-Brown. There's a lot of time left between now and the season, so we'll see who develops and with a year of experience for everyone, hopefully pressure will be relieved. the only team in the AAC that could really put tremendous on-ball pressure was Louisville anyways and they're gone. It's hard to press good teams, that's why you don't see it in the NBA. It's a gimmick type D reserved for the high school level and when college teams are outclassed by a good team. Man presssure is about the most you see when you have good team against good team and I'm not sure there's another team in the AAC that can really put that on-ball pressure 90 feet from the rim. So hopefully the press is never an issue, getting the team into their offense when Moore is off the floor will be more of an issue in my eyes.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:34 am

hoopmanx wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Please explain to me how we're not completely [deleted] when Nic picks up two fouls in first ten minutes (or three early in the second half) against a decent opponent.

Such a sky is falling, over-reaction. That happened maybe twice last year, once vs the defending national champs. Sure, the offense stagnates, but every team in America suffers when their best player gets in foul trouble. We have several kids capable of sharing the responsibility. It doesnt have to be manned by one guy. Lets matchups dictate

I would feel a lot better if we had a backup that was a natural PG at least.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:36 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:

I would feel a lot better if we had a backup that was a natural PG at least.

Nothing wrong w/that, as would we all. I'm just saying have two all world PGs, one playing out of position, could give more headaches than not having a reliable back-up for one of them.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:43 am

there really isn't any reason Nic should get in foul trouble. Alot of his problems were just being overaggressive or silly at times, this can and should be corrected this year. I don't expect it to be a problem like it was last year. He is the last guy on the floor that should get in foul trouble. Manual is serviceable backup for a top team. Uconn won the NC last year and they had some flaws. i think they even lost to us twice and we are upgrading with the transfers and the extra experience that Sterling, Ben and keith will have this year. i'm really just as optimistic as i was with Mudiay. Again like others, he would have been exciting to have but doesnt mean we can't catch fire and go deep in the tournament.
Hoop Fan

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:58 am

Hoop Fan wrote:there really isn't any reason Nic should get in foul trouble. Alot of his problems were just being overaggressive or silly at times, this can and should be corrected this year. I don't expect it to be a problem like it was last year. He is the last guy on the floor that should get in foul trouble. Manual is serviceable backup for a top team. Uconn won the NC last year and they had some flaws. i think they even lost to us twice and we are upgrading with the transfers and the extra experience that Sterling, Ben and keith will have this year. i'm really just as optimistic as i was with Mudiay. Again like others, he would have been exciting to have but doesnt mean we can't catch fire and go deep in the tournament.

exactly, I dont think it changes the season trajectory at all. By my eyes, the transfers are bigger to all of this than Mudiay ever was.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Treadway21 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:14 pm

Thanks X - I think the best point is that Eman's 1 and done status changes the dynamics of the loss. And it would be different if Moore wasn't as good a player or leader as he is.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Next

Return to Basketball