PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Addition by Subtraction

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Addition by Subtraction

Postby Pony Fan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:25 pm

We are so deep at every other position where I think we are spoiled. 2015 and 2016, we will have quality depth at every position.

I try to keep humble about all of this as I remember three years ago we absolutely sucked in front of 800 people. Look where we are now? Only one team per year wins the national championship.
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby DiamondM » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:27 pm

Well said again, HoopmanX.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:36 pm

Great thread. Great viewpoints. How many college coaches would give their left nut to have problems such as ours? We need 10-12 minutes of backup for Nic. LB will have an answer by December 1.

And the chemistry comments are spot on. You think all of the guys who would have sat while that other guy (damn I forgot his name) played didn't at least giggle a bit on the news?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:37 pm

hoopmanx wrote:This is in no way to disparage either Eman the player or the person. He is by all accounts a humble and magnificently talented player. He's a lottery pick blah blah blah.

That said, his addition forced our best player, a first team AAC kid as a soph, off the ball. I'm not going to tell you we would have been worse b/c of it, but I will tell you we'll be better in the locker room b/c of Emans absence. Again, not b/c Eman is a bad kid or wouldn't say the right things, but chemistry matters, and this was Nics team last year, this year, and next year. You don't pull a competitor like Nic, a PG his entire life, off the ball, and expect that to be ok anywhere, other than the media. I'm not saying Nic would have pouted either, just that there is a natural order and human nature.

Also, by adding Martin, you have an established natural 3. Gone is the dilemma of what you do w/your best frosh last year, Sterling Brown. He's everything Brown loves, has length, physical defends, knocks down open 3s. Now you jus move Sterling to the 2 and insert Martin.

We're still deep, but things are simplified, and we're asking less elite kids to swallow their pride.

My only problem with the entire fiasco is the fact that we don't have time to land someone to help out at PG.

First, Nic plays very hard. We need to take care of him and give him a breather now and then. With our current roster, that will be tough to do against good teams.

Second, I really wanted to see Nic play with a good ball handler. With his shooting ability, I feel that he would thrive in more of a "shooting" role.

Bottom Line: this is nowhere near the worst thing that has happened to SMU since I have been a fan (DP, Larry Johnson, Kenneth Pye).
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKris89 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:50 pm

So we might be a little challenged at the backup Pg, but we have a BAD-ARSE STARTER PG!

Agreed, our transfers and organic growth of the team should have SMU better than ever.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:00 pm

i think nic and em were going to play together a lot with nic at the 2.
Nacho

Postby ponydawg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:01 pm

To this day I have NEVER understood why anyone would choose to disagree or doubt the WDNWHA committee.

They were right about Josiah Turner and they are going to be correct with EM.

I can't wait.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKai » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:06 pm

And, although I'm sure it's been mentioned elsewhere, before the news even went public, LB had already snagged Ben Emelogu, who was Va. Tech's best player (easily, and a low bar), and he'll be in the program for four years total.

It's a kick in the nuts, but hoop is right. And he's about 20,000 times more knowledgeable re. the subject than I am, so I'm a fan of blind trust.
PonyKai

Postby EastStang » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:10 pm

Agree that playing time would have been a premium this year for everyone with Mudiay. That said a six-five point guard is a true bonus. But HoopManx is right that the sky is not falling, we have a great nucleus and the transfers are of more long term value than Eman and quite frankly, the fact that we signed Eman means as much to some degree as if he came here. It signaled to other Texas recruits that this is a great destination location unless you're lucky enough to be one of the super elite who can get an invite to play for $$$$ in China.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Tx_Mustang10 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:13 pm

2012 was tough for Manuel when he was new to PG and the starter, but he improved significantly in his relief position in 2013. If we go into 2014 with Manuel as the backup PG, you have to expect that under LB he will be improved and better able to handle his duties. Sky hasn't fallen yet. Pony Up!!
Tx_Mustang10
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:15 pm

I can't wait to get back into Moody. This could fuel and drive us to prove they don't need Eman to win 30 games
Pony ^

Postby Harry0569 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:10 pm

And remember, we are building a sustainable program that will hopefully be successful for many years to come.

We proved that we can get studs to come, now it's about building that pipeline.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby ojaipony » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:34 pm

ponydawg wrote:To this day I have NEVER understood why anyone would choose to disagree or doubt the WDNWHA committee.

They were right about Josiah Turner and they are going to be correct with EM.

I can't wait.

This!

Never, ever doubt "the" committee.

As for Manuel, the guy's amazing athleticism and solid defense makes up for any ball handling flaws he has which I'm sure he's working on in the offseason. I just wish his fingers were about 2 inches longer (Minnesota!). :-) He'll also be a smarter player this coming year, too, I believe. I don't mind him being the backup PG.

My favorite player is MK (I just like the big dogs), but Sterling is the one I'm most excited to see how he progresses. I feel his upside is through the roof.
ojaipony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:53 pm

bottom line is that SMU still has a very talented and deep roster...and coach still has an issue with finding enough minutes to keep everyone fully engaged. If everyone becomes eligible for this season, it just gets more difficult..but these are the challenges every coach wants, right?
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyscott » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Ok I haven't been on the PF board much lately but this thread is well thought out from all...for the most part anyway. It's all good and we have coaches and staff on the basketball team at the helm that are very experienced and totally savvy. I am not worried and think we will be a top 15 team anyway. The team aspect has changed but think we have so many guys that can step up for us. Thanks for all your thoughts ..especially X man.
ponyscott

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball