PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dement

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Dement

Postby Jim Rome » Wed Dec 19, 2001 2:50 pm

OK, I don't live in Dallas and I haven't seen the Ponies play yet. But when does it become time for us to think about "running" Dement? Met him once, and I've seen a handful of games - from what I know about him, I like him. But how does he allow a meltdown like that last night? Aren't there adjustments that could be made to stop the bleeding?

Not saying Dement should get canned. But I'm not saying he shouldn't. The necessary change was made in football. When does it become necessary to make a change in hoops?
I'm a Pony, and I'm a PonyFan!
Jim Rome
Junior Varsity

Re: Dement

Postby Dement-ed » Wed Dec 19, 2001 4:31 pm

Coach Dement is great, and needs to stay. Give him one big man who can score (from the interior - Simpson is a perimeter guy) and SMU will kill TCU and win the WAC. We need to extend Dement's contract, not replace him.

Besides, what a cool haircut.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby HouStang » Wed Dec 19, 2001 7:01 pm

in Dement's SMU career, he has not once beaten a team that is ranked better than SMU. enough said
HouStang
Recruit

Postby SMUguy » Wed Dec 19, 2001 7:33 pm

I'm getting a little tired of "close but no cigar" against top teams.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu Dec 20, 2001 6:27 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HouStang:
<B>in Dement's SMU career, he has not once beaten a team that is ranked better than SMU. enough said</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct me if I am wrong, but here are some impressive stats...
Under Dement:
Top 25 wins = 0
Post season births = 1 game
WAC Championships = 0
Road winning percentage = below 50%, maybe even below 40%

Don't say give him a big man and we will be there, Dement has had plenty of time to get a big man, and he hasn't. Coaching is about winning, no matter how you win. It is time SMU step into an NCAA bracket, Dement has had the players and the time needed to get us there, at least once and he hasn't. Time to move on.
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Dec 20, 2001 10:07 pm

Good point. I think the road hits us hard. Especially when looking at the NCAA type predictions of last year and the year before.. We lost big to San Jose State, Hawaii...not very good on that west coast swing ever. Maybe it's his inability to motivate and encourage the kids to win..I am lost at this point. Maybe give him Bhop and we'll see but one player isn't going to stop a 19-0 run by Tenn or TCU. Defense wins most games and we ain't got any of that stuff.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dement-ed » Thu Dec 27, 2001 3:37 pm

If Dement gets us off to a winning streak against WAC teams, I think all this "fire the coach" talk will stop.

My prediction is that we win the first 6 WAC games before we stumble against Tulsa. Eric Castro is the secret weapon for the Ponies.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby Dement-ed » Mon Jan 07, 2002 11:26 pm

3-0 and counting.
Dement is a great coach.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Jan 08, 2002 4:46 pm

Jury still out my friend. I'd like to see if we finish strong or collapse.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball