PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

McQuaid reopens commitment

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: McQuaid reopens commitment

Postby Harry0569 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:57 pm

McQuaid blew up at the LBJ camp and probably got a ton of coaches offering him. Best shooter in the class.

I trust that LB has targeted a ton of other guys to replace him.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby B1GPonyFan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:07 pm

I figured the gang of 30 was overdue for self induced PANIC attack.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby ojaipony » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:15 pm

mrydel wrote:Until I hear otherwise I am going to trust Brown. He may have someone else targeted, and be recruiting over McQuaid.

Of course there could be false negative recruiting going on that speculates SMU is being investigated and he should get away from us.

My immediate thoughts as well. As long as LB is here, I'm not going to panic. It's when he leaves, that's when I panic.
ojaipony

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:01 pm

B1GPonyFan wrote:I figured the gang of 30 was overdue for self induced PANIC attack.

I don't sense panic in any of the posts. Just general comments on the situation. Since we have over a year to go to fill his spot we'll be fine.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:55 am

Just another day at the " we're in the big leagues now" office…..better get used to it.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:15 am

Rebel10 wrote:
B1GPonyFan wrote:I figured the gang of 30 was overdue for self induced PANIC attack.

I don't sense panic in any of the posts. Just general comments on the situation. Since we have over a year to go to fill his spot we'll be fine.

That doesn't fit in with his agenda of belittling the members of this board at every opportunity
CalallenStang

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:18 am

I'm not too concerned. I trust Larry and as we all know, the committee is always right.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:03 pm

Had the WDNWHA Committee issued a final verdict on McQuaid after he originally committed, or was he still in limbo?
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

McQuaid reopens commitment

Postby mrydel » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:25 pm

We usually do not announce our decisions until the player has signed. We always allow the player to make the official announcement in order that we do not embarrass them when they hear of our decision. We like it to appear it was their call. These are young men with whom we deal and we do not want to scar them for life. We have met on Mr. McQuaid and will most likely wait until signing day to announce our final decision although we have already made that decision. If we feel warranted we will announce sooner.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Here's the deal, there DOES get to a point of being too deep. As a fan you may trust Larry, and as an instructor of skill, you have to trust Larry. In terms of getting time for your kid, you cant. He plays whoever he damn well pleases, not rankings or press clippings. Most of you and Keith Frazier got a good taste last season. Heck, Lebron & Melo got a great taste in the 04 Olympics. IF he has an option he likes better, he'll use it, politics or not

If I was Matt McQuaid or his Dad, I would have been on the phone demanding an explanation the day Emegolu committed. I'm not saying I would have had my kid de-commit, but you aren't bringing in an established ACC 2, that averaged double digits and was team captain as a frosh,at my kids position, in his same class. Sorry, we got what was coming to us. Just hope they like Ben more than Matt
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Question for you hmx: do you?
RGV Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:54 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Here's the deal, there DOES get to a point of being too deep. \

Great point. You want competition for minutes in practice and in game performance but when you are this deep somebody is bound to get buried. (See Crandall Head, Yannick last season)

It will be interesting to see who he finally commits to with that in mind.

It seems that both McQuaid and Barefield have over-achieved this summer. An indication our staff knows what they are looking for?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:32 pm

my 1st reaction is that this has EVERYTHING to do with the Emelogu transfer and a fear of having to compete for minutes. Just comes with the territory when you are suddenly an "elite" program. Unless something dramatically changes, this program is going to have solid players trying to become part of an 8-10 man rotation. Can't promise any incoming FR a starting job and any certain number of minutes.
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:37 pm

I'll take the guy who is not afraid of competition because the other guy is likely to bail anyway if he has to ride the bench
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby redpony » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:43 pm

+1 totally agree.
redpony

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting