PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hogg Update

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Hogg Update

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:06 pm

“@AdamGrosbard: Hogg puts #SMU on this list "@EvanDaniels: Six are after D.J. Hogg the hardest | Story: http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/14230 ... rdest?s=75"”
Last edited by LA_Mustang on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: A local interview with JJ

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:08 pm

LA_Mustang

Re: Hogg Update

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:45 am

I watched him quite a bit this past weekend, I'm more impressed every time I see him. He's got a real bounce in his step and can get up, he shoots pretty well from the perimeter too. I couldn't tell you the number of times I watched Mitchell or Trout (sp?) spot him up in the corner.

That whole team is impressive and fun to watch. Soso Jamambo is much better than I expected prior to the spring. They fell short in the quarters of the Peach Jam, but I felt they were easily top 3 team there, just had a bad game.

The player who impressed me the most was Tyler Davis without question. He's really come along in his development and understanding of the game down low. He played strong, sealed his man well and understood how to leverage himself to get position. Davis boarded well and ran the floor exceptionally well. One play in particular, Mickey took the ball out against Mokan Elite while they were pressing, Tyler took off and Mickey hit him on a line for an easy dunk without the ball ever touching the floor. His basketball IQ has risen tremendously in the past few months imo.

As for Hogg, no question that he was the go-to scorer. Kid can score it with the best of them. He consistently gets his on a team loaded with scoring options and he's playing within the team, not just jacking the ball to jack it. Going to be a special get for somebody. If you got any other questions from the Peach Jam, let me know, watched and caught quite a few teams. I'm still shocked that Penny beat E1T1...complete disbelief. Didn't think anyone was going to touch them.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby PonyKris89 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:40 am

OhioBrownFan wrote:I watched him quite a bit this past weekend, I'm more impressed every time I see him. He's got a real bounce in his step and can get up, he shoots pretty well from the perimeter too. I couldn't tell you the number of times I watched Mitchell or Trout (sp?) spot him up in the corner.

That whole team is impressive and fun to watch. Soso Jamambo is much better than I expected prior to the spring. They fell short in the quarters of the Peach Jam, but I felt they were easily top 3 team there, just had a bad game.

The player who impressed me the most was Tyler Davis without question. He's really come along in his development and understanding of the game down low. He played strong, sealed his man well and understood how to leverage himself to get position. Davis boarded well and ran the floor exceptionally well. One play in particular, Mickey took the ball out against Mokan Elite while they were pressing, Tyler took off and Mickey hit him on a line for an easy dunk without the ball ever touching the floor. His basketball IQ has risen tremendously in the past few months imo.

As for Hogg, no question that he was the go-to scorer. Kid can score it with the best of them. He consistently gets his on a team loaded with scoring options and he's playing within the team, not just jacking the ball to jack it. Going to be a special get for somebody. If you got any other questions from the Peach Jam, let me know, watched and caught quite a few teams. I'm still shocked that Penny beat E1T1...complete disbelief. Didn't think anyone was going to touch them.

Glad you got to see them all play OBF, is that the first time you have seen all of them in person?

Yes, Davis, Hogg, and Mitchell are all studs IMO… and Jamambo is impressive too. I would take Davis over Elijah Thomas(yes I Davis is a 4 star at the 5, the other a 5 star at the 4), just my opinion.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:22 am

OhioBrownFan wrote:I watched him quite a bit this past weekend, I'm more impressed every time I see him. He's got a real bounce in his step and can get up, he shoots pretty well from the perimeter too. I couldn't tell you the number of times I watched Mitchell or Trout (sp?) spot him up in the corner.

Your thoughts are similar to what I saw at the EYBL Dallas weekend. I was most impressed with Davis and Hogg. Davis is a big kid, in a good way and he can dominate the paint. He's very crafty around the rim and gets in good position for rebounds.

Jamabo's stock has shot up this summer but I'm pretty sure he'll play football instead of basketball. He's a high 4-star RB with offers from every major school in the country (Alabama, ND, Michigan, OU, UT, A&M and USC to name a few). He's an incredibly talent kid.

Give me Davis and Hogg to join Barefield and Emelogu and that is one helluva class.
Last edited by LA_Mustang on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

LA_Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:27 am

OBF, did you get to see Malik Monk? If so, what were your thoughts? I read where Calipari is pushing hard for him now.

LA_Mustang

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14 am

If Plano West doesn't win state this year...
Pony ^

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:19 am

“@D1Circuit: Roy Williams and North Carolina also have called to express interest Tyler Davis (@tyler34davis). Titans big man was dominant at Peach jam.”

LA_Mustang

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:35 am

LA_Mustang wrote:OBF, did you get to see Malik Monk? If so, what were your thoughts? I read where Calipari is pushing hard for him now.

Yeah, I watched Mitchell shut his freaking water off. He had like 8 points on 3/20 shooting. I'm so much higher on Mickey than I was prior to the tournament just because he hadn't been the same since the ACL tear but he's got that explosiveness back and he does so many things that never show up on the stat sheet. Made some very tough entries to Tyler Davis over the top to exploit the weak side help time and time again. Just high level IQ, 11 assists or something stupid against Wings Elite while 3 or 4 assists were blown on bunnies by teammates or it could've been 15 assists.

That said, the following game, Monk went off for 40 or something crazy. I didn't see it out of him but he's a young kid still. I would expect him to figure out how to get his points even when he doesn't have an ideal match-up in the future.

And yes, very high on Tyler Davis, not because of what he is now but the amount of development he's made in the last 6 months or so. Like I said in my OP, his understanding of the game and his position is much better, strength is improving, and the game is coming easier to him. Will never do anything that puts you in awe, but he's going to be a very good college player if he continues his progression and development.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:36 am

LA_Mustang wrote:“@D1Circuit: Roy Williams and North Carolina also have called to express interest Tyler Davis (@tyler34davis). Titans big man was dominant at Peach jam.”

No surprise, COMPLETELY different player than he was even at the beginning of summer. Light bulb has turned on.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:42 am

Pony ^ wrote:If Plano West doesn't win state this year...

Seriously though, quite possibly the most stacked high school team I've seen since Sullinger's down at Northland. Or the Oden/Conley team over at Lawrence North. It's amazing that they were beat last year in all honesty, I don't know a ton about Texas high school ball but considering it is essentially Texas Titans entire team moved over, there is no way they should be taking any losses unless it's to Monteverde or Findlay Prep. I will say it's interesting because some of the inner-city Columbus/Cleveland schools beat the [deleted] out of nationally ranked powers when they come to the Flyin' to the Hoops in Dayton and you sit there wondering how that's possible. Just good teams that play together and are quick as opposed to top prospects with "ideal" size that may or may not be developed yet.

Watched an inner-city Dayton team, Thurgood Marshall, rip the #10 team in the country by 25 and Thurgood never made it out of the 2nd weekend of tourney play...go figure.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:44 am

I was the most impressed with how well he got up and down the court for someone his size. My guess is his injury was holding him back prior to the summer and he is finally healthy.

LA_Mustang

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:48 am

PonyKris89 wrote:

Glad you got to see them all play OBF, is that the first time you have seen all of them in person?

Yes, Davis, Hogg, and Mitchell are all studs IMO… and Jamambo is impressive too. I would take Davis over Elijah Thomas(yes I Davis is a 4 star at the 5, the other a 5 star at the 4), just my opinion.

I've seen each multiple times live for the most part, hadn't seen them since late spring/early summer however. I agree with taking Davis over Thomas at this point. His upside is much higher imo. Both are great players and there's no doubt Thomas will excel in the college game. I just think you have to be intrigued by the progress Davis has shown, I didn't expect much from him at all considering what I saw just 2 months or so ago. He's using his body just so much better to get position, he finally has a "motor," going after balls, bullying people around. Davis was boarding well outside of his zone this weekend, all things you really want to see if you're a college coach. It's not a big deal for someone that 6'10, 6'11 or whatever in high school to grab a high number of boards, those stats lie. Watching him live, he worked for a lot of those boards and got rebounds well outside of his area.

At the Wings Elite match-up, it was a who's who of coaching sitting on the sideline, Scott Drew, Roy Williams, and the Godfather were right in a row on the one sideline. Spoke to LB for a good 5 minutes, seems to be doing quite well, albeit was small talk for the most part. Great dude however.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:49 am

LA_Mustang wrote:I was the most impressed with how well he got up and down the court for someone his size. My guess is his injury was holding him back prior to the summer and he is finally healthy.

You referring to Davis or Mitchell?

If you're referring to Davis, I think the biggest catalyst to his weekend was just him finally understanding how to use his size to exploit defenders, he hadn't done that well in the past from games/tape I've seen of him. Complete 180. And yes, ran the floor exceptionally well too and allowed the Titans to get out in transition quick with his outlets.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:55 am

Side note: Anyone know how SMU is sitting w/ Hogg and Davis? Tough to get reliable information this weekend for whatever reason and I really don't know what to take away from what I've heard. They both have seemed to tighten it up on info getting out period.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Next

Return to Recruiting