PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Surprise backup PG

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Surprise backup PG

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:04 pm

:shock:

“@OmarMaz34: Biggest takeaway from #SMU practice this morning: Ben Moore is getting a real look as some sort of backup point guard with Mudiay gone (1/2)”
“@OmarMaz34: (2/2) I say "some sort of" b/c I think Larry Brown just needs the ball-handling and loves having flexibility. Ben won't actually be real PG”
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Surprise backup PG

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:13 pm

I love Ben, but, that's still a terrifying thought
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:37 pm

Point Forward concept, several NBA teams mess around with it.
JasonB

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:44 pm

For 6-8 minutes a game why not?
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SMU15 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:51 pm

LB recently said in the interview that Ben has phenomenal ball-handling and could easily bring the ball upcourt against bigger guys. Since usually the other team would have someone bigger guarding him
"And as long as they're keeping score, there will always be people who try to do everything they can to put up more points than the other guy." -Brent Musberger
SMU15
Varsity

Postby Harry0569 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:00 am

I'd be perfectly fine if Ben became Hedo 2.0 (Orlando 2009 version)
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Completely cool with that...

Postby Maryland78 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:56 am

I don't think everyone realizes how good Ben's handle is...He would dominate any big man bringing the ball up the court!!! That dude has a lot of potential and was a monster get...plus benefiting from Coach's teaching.
Maryland78
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:57 am

Top two or three dribbler on the team plus it gets him more minutes...I'm fine with it
SMUer

Re: Completely cool with that...

Postby CoxMustangFan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:16 am

Maryland78 wrote:I don't think everyone realizes how good Ben's handle is...He would dominate any big man bringing the ball up the court!!! That dude has a lot of potential and was a monster get...plus benefiting from Coach's teaching.

He was my favorite freshman last year. If he stays healthy, I bet he has a monster career at SMU.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPride » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:38 am

PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby ojaipony » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:12 pm

The key is if they jump him with a big, it opens up the floor. If they jump him with a smaller, quick guard, it should open up Nic or Ryan or Justin to easily get open. It's about mismatches. I trust LB, but I don't recall seeing any great displays of handles from him last year (maybe I just wasn't paying attention and/or there weren't many opportunities for him to showcase). The thing that I really liked about him was his skill around the rim and felt "man, if he just put on about 20 pounds of muscle this dude would KILL it" . . . same thing I say about Cannen . . . they both have tremendous versatility but can't really bang inside like MK can - which is what makes Tolbert so unique because it seems he CAN do both -- REALLY hope he gets eligible).
ojaipony

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:49 pm

ojaipony wrote:The key is if they jump him with a big, it opens up the floor. If they jump him with a smaller, quick guard, it should open up Nic or Ryan or Justin to easily get open. It's about mismatches. I trust LB, but I don't recall seeing any great displays of handles from him last year (maybe I just wasn't paying attention and/or there weren't many opportunities for him to showcase). The thing that I really liked about him was his skill around the rim and felt "man, if he just put on about 20 pounds of muscle this dude would KILL it" . . . same thing I say about Cannen . . . they both have tremendous versatility but can't really bang inside like MK can - which is what makes Tolbert so unique because it seems he CAN do both -- REALLY hope he gets eligible).

I'm pretty sure there was one time at least I saw him in person running the fast break / breaking the press. Given that I only had the chance to see the Cincy and UCF games at Moody, I'm assuming it was one of those. During at least that one display, he just looked like a big PG, not like a clumsy SF/PF. The dribbling through traffic just looked natural to him. Pretty sure he finished with either a contested layup or a foul and 2 free throws.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Killen » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:43 pm

I may have a few games of eligibility left...

-Point Guard Emeritus
Killen
Recruit

Postby gostangs » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:51 pm

Ben Moore is my favorite player on our team. I just like guys that height that can do it all, including defend. They create havoc because you cant really defend them. If you have at least 4 of those on the floor it is going to be a long night for the other guy.
gostangs

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:07 pm

Killeen wrote:I may have a few games of eligibility left...

-Point Guard Emeritus

We could use you in the PG rotation, Jon.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Next

Return to Basketball