PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

D.J. Hogg Set to Cut List; Baylor, UT, TAMU Working Hardest

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

D.J. Hogg Set to Cut List; Baylor, UT, TAMU Working Hardest

Postby Harry0569 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:57 am

http://zagsblog.com/articles/d-j-hogg-s ... g-hardest/

D.J. Hogg Set to Cut List; Baylor, Texas, Texas A&M Working Hardest
July 23rd, 2014 10:07 pm

4_2916783

By JACK LeGWIN

Special to ZAGSBLOG

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – After a fantastic performance at Peach Jam, D.J. Hogg is looking to build on a recruitment that has multiple high-major schools showing interest.

“I’m looking to cut my list sometime after Peach Jam,” Hogg told SNY.tv. “Baylor, Texas, Texas A&M are probably the schools that are working the hardest right now, texting me everyday.”

Ranked No.28 in the class of 2015 by 247 Sports, the 6-foot-8 Hogg put on a shooting clinic against the Peach Jam champions New Jersey Playaz, starting out the game scoring 11 points in the first 3 minutes, ending with 27 points and knocking down five 3’s.

“I love my team,” Hogg said. “I feel like we all complement each other, we all like to play with each other. Doesn’t matter who likes to score a lot, we just care about the win. At the end, we’re just all about the team and brothers.”

Hogg has a couple points he will be focusing on his senior season.

“Probably getting stronger,” Hogg said. “Defense and attacking the basket better.”

Hogg has offers from Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, Arizona, SMU, Iowa, Kansas State, Houston and TCU

With Hogg’s length as a shooter, it will be very hard for teams to guard him at the next level on the perimeter.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: D.J. Hogg Set to Cut List; Baylor, UT, TAMU Working Hard

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:58 am

I think he's going to Baylor
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby ojaipony » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:10 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:I think he's going to Baylor

I think he and Davis will go Baylor along with McClure (and Thomas will go somewhere else also). Not that there's any reason to have any kind of specific connection whatsoever, but I think the Mudiay thing has spooked some recruits (remember that we were a backwater for most of their "rise" . . . we are only getting looks because of LB - we need a deep run or 2 in the tourney to start getting commitment from these guys). I think we should all set our expectations that we will continue to get solid transfers and 150-200 type guys (MAYBE we get a top 150 guy in 2015). But, in 2 years, I think we get some elite guys but LB will probably be gone by then. Typical SMU.
ojaipony

Postby smusportspage » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:14 pm

You may be right but never, never underestimate The Godfather.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:52 pm

ojaipony wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:I think he's going to Baylor

I think he and Davis will go Baylor along with McClure (and Thomas will go somewhere else also). Not that there's any reason to have any kind of specific connection whatsoever, but I think the Mudiay thing has spooked some recruits (remember that we were a backwater for most of their "rise" . . . we are only getting looks because of LB - we need a deep run or 2 in the tourney to start getting commitment from these guys). I think we should all set our expectations that we will continue to get solid transfers and 150-200 type guys (MAYBE we get a top 150 guy in 2015). But, in 2 years, I think we get some elite guys but LB will probably be gone by then. Typical SMU.

Thanks for that depressing contribution
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby gostangs » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:09 pm

I could see him maybe think about Austin - but hanging in Waco or college station (at least Baylor has a good team) is baffling if you have a choice. Dallas with LB, our support and Moody craziness would be hard to beat.
gostangs

Postby PonyFan32 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:23 pm

The idea that the Mudiay situation has spooked recruits is premature speculation. Why exactly would anything that happened with Mudiay scare away elite talent? I think the fact that we haven't done much yet (in nationally-relevant terms like making the Dance or putting a player into the NBA lottery) would be more of a concern to 2015 recruits than a guy not coming to SMU due to amateurism issues.

I still think we're going to get a Top 100 recruit or 2 in 2015 whether McQuaid signs with us or not. And I attribute that belief not only to LB's name but to the work KT and Ulric are putting in where it matters on the recruiting trail. Since I'm not well-connected at all, that's speculation too, but what's a good forum without a little irrational speculation?!?!

In Godfather We Trust.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:27 pm

smusportspage wrote:You may be right but never, never underestimate The Godfather.

Certainly have more faith in LB's recruiting that whatever June is doing for football recruiting.........
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby PonyKris89 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:33 pm

Well, Tyler Davis has been more enthusiastic in his comments on SMU than any other school. Saw one comment on another site that he wanted to stay close to home, and that Baylor might even be a bit far, being that SMU is right down the road… we shall see.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:07 pm

We need a big time commitment in the next 2 months to have a chance to capitalize on a great 2015 class. We have had too many set backs and I am surprised so many of the local kids that we have had in our sights are not mentioning SMU. I still do not fully understand the appeal of Baylor.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby B1GPonyFan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:40 pm

By its rapid rise -- IMO the Mudiay situation has nothing to do with this because he's the exception -- SMU served notice that it's a player for the top talent both in Texas and in the nation. With that established, this program/coaching staff has been viewed that way and is now smack dab in the middle of the game. People are taking SMU seriously.

The gloves have come off and now this staff has to fight to not only recruit but maintain its commits or those who are leaning toward them. This is what we all wanted. But with that comes a cutthroat journey. It's definitely a better situation than when we were landing the likes of JFrog. But the stakes are higher.

SMU just has to make sure it gets the right ones.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:58 am

Once we get playing again and Moody is rocking, the recruits will be lining up. guaranteed
Pony ^

Postby PonyFan32 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:25 am

B1GPonyFan wrote:It's definitely a better situation than when we were landing the likes of JFrog.

Hey, no need to demean the indomitable JFrog! Haha... but I get your point.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:37 am

Pony ^ wrote:Once we get playing again and Moody is rocking, the recruits will be lining up. guaranteed

The magic begins Nov 14th! I predict a preseason ranking of #19 in the AP.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:27 am

I just can't believe with all of the top local guys, SMU may not sign one. Wtf?
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Recruiting