PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

D.J. Hogg Set to Cut List; Baylor, UT, TAMU Working Hardest

Discuss SMU recruiting in this forum.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: D.J. Hogg Set to Cut List; Baylor, UT, TAMU Working Hard

Postby ponyboy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:58 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:
ojaipony wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:I think he's going to Baylor

I think he and Davis will go Baylor along with McClure (and Thomas will go somewhere else also). Not that there's any reason to have any kind of specific connection whatsoever, but I think the Mudiay thing has spooked some recruits (remember that we were a backwater for most of their "rise" . . . we are only getting looks because of LB - we need a deep run or 2 in the tourney to start getting commitment from these guys). I think we should all set our expectations that we will continue to get solid transfers and 150-200 type guys (MAYBE we get a top 150 guy in 2015). But, in 2 years, I think we get some elite guys but LB will probably be gone by then. Typical SMU.

Thanks for that depressing contribution

Not to pick on Ojai, but it's a loser mentality. Ignore the past. We have a helluva great program right now and don't need to listen to that "here it comes again" kind of crap.

Was anyone aware that we have a legitimate Top 25 program here? That all signs point upwards? It takes a special kind of sick individual to revert to bouts of depression and complaining when it comes to this program. Wow.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby lwjr » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:50 am

This program is light years away from where it was before Larry Brown arrived. A remodeled Moody, the hottest ticket in Dallas, people are talking SMU basketball around the water coolers, big time recruits are interested in SMU. The Mudiay situation hurt but I don't think it is a recruiting killer. It's more of a Prime Prep issue in my opinion. I agree with previous comments, SMU needs to start making strong runs in the NCAA tournament to help with recruiting.
I look at Gonzaga as a model for SMU. They play on the west coast, late night games,in a conference that is comparable or maybe a little below the AAC and they field ranked teams year in, year out and are able to recruit top kids. SMU has the potential to to become a stronger program than Gonzaga. I do hope some of the lower tier teams in the AAC will be able to up their quality of play to make our conference stronger. This program is on the rise, locally and nationally. LB and company will land their share of quality recruits. Rome was not built in a day.
A side note, does anyone know what the status is on the kid that is transferring in from Virginia Tech?
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:40 pm

I'm not sure there are huge reasons to be negative, but as I said above I'm surprised. With the local crop of top 100 kids to include Elijah Thomas (guess, UNLV), Austin Grandstaff (tOSU), Tyler Davis (KU or Baylor), Hogg (Baylor), King McClure (Baylor), Admon Gilder (OSU), Mickey Mitchell (tOSU), & McQuaid (TBD), I just can't believe SMU may go 0-fer.

I have little doubt that HCLB will close out with a good/great class of freshmen, transfers, and Jucos, but if you would have told me six months ago that none of the incoming kids would include any from the list above I think I would have laughed at you.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby Ponyneighbor » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:59 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:I'm not sure there are huge reasons to be negative, but as I said above I'm surprised. With the local crop of top 100 kids to include Elijah Thomas (guess, UNLV), Austin Grandstaff (tOSU), Tyler Davis (KU or Baylor), Hogg (Baylor), King McClure (Baylor), Admon Gilder (OSU), Mickey Mitchell (tOSU), & McQuaid (TBD), I just can't believe SMU may go 0-fer.

I have little doubt that HCLB will close out with a good/great class of freshmen, transfers, and Jucos, but if you would have told me six months ago that none of the incoming kids would include any from the list above I think I would have laughed at you.

Nailed it. This is certainly not a knock on LB (Lord knows no one has worked harder) - just a big disappointment given the strength of the local class, how we were in on all of them, and how almost none is going to a superior basketball program
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:54 pm

So it takes awhile longer to rebuild an outdated, broken local pipeline? Look at the three guys joining us this year. LB will find quality no matter where it is. It ain't how (or in this case where), it's how many. Eternal fatalism is just not cool anymore. We're pretty freakin' good.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby hoopmanx » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:20 pm

We essentially traded out McQuaid for Emegolu. Its never a matter of who you miss, its who you sign who cant play. Barefield & Emegolu are both scores for the program. I would have liked us to have one additional kid at this point, but I'm pretty sure we'll get two more this period, minimum.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gostangs » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:53 pm

exactly right hoopmanx - we traded an excellent prospect for an excellent known producer in the ACC That is an upgrade.

Lets see who we end up with at the end of the day. LB has a truly national reach - so if the Texans are listening to the siren song of Waco then we have other choices
gostangs

Postby lwjr » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:58 pm

Any word of idea if the Emegolu kid is going to be granted the hardship waiver
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:58 pm

lwjr wrote:Any word of idea if the Emegolu kid is going to be granted the hardship waiver

Bet we won't find out for awhile. We're still waiting to hear about Tolbert too
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby lwjr » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:13 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
lwjr wrote:Any word of idea if the Emegolu kid is going to be granted the hardship waiver

Bet we won't find out for awhile. We're still waiting to hear about Tolbert too

Thanks, ECM
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby smupony94 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:47 pm

Keep Tolbert until 2015
smupony94

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:30 am

smupony94 wrote:Keep Tolbert until 2015

I'm with you 94.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:48 am

Agreed, much rather have Tolbert in '15
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:21 am

CoxMustangFan wrote:I'm not sure there are huge reasons to be negative, but as I said above I'm surprised. With the local crop of top 100 kids to include Elijah Thomas (guess, UNLV), Austin Grandstaff (tOSU), Tyler Davis (KU or Baylor), Hogg (Baylor), King McClure (Baylor), Admon Gilder (OSU), Mickey Mitchell (tOSU), & McQuaid (TBD), I just can't believe SMU may go 0-fer.

Just curious as to why you think Thomas favors UNLV over SMU...I may have missed something.
CalallenStang

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:37 pm

CalallenStang wrote:

Just curious as to why you think Thomas favors UNLV over SMU...I may have missed something.

Just stuff I'm hearing. Honestly, I was deaf to the chatter for some time as I thought he and Gilder were locks for SMU, but something happened that I'm not privy to (and frankly probably shouldn't be discussed on the boards). Also, I said UNLV as a guess. The proper way to say it would be "Not SMU".
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting