PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Report: Mudiay cleared by NCAA clearinghouse

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Report: Mudiay cleared by NCAA clearinghouse

Postby ponyinNC » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Nothing good? I love your opinions X, but I have to hear how that is
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:00 pm

There is nothing abnormal about the NCAA clearing student athletes-especially basketball players in July-Many football players won't even be cleared in August. They can't get cleared before the school year is over and complete transcript is submitted. Back to conspiracy theories
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Its simple really, it was never a Prime Prep issue. They already had precedent of not only getting kids qualified, but winning appeals. Name profile non-qualifiers from Prime? Tough to do.

Its an amateurism issue, no matter what anyone says. That leaves three possible parties, Under Armour, Deion Sanders, some combo thereof or SMU. I've done a ton of work for UA grassroots over the years, and know how they operate. I've known intimate details of their pursuit of kids, and it never smelled like straight greasing. Would they prop up Prime via Deion, since he's been on payroll for a minute, sure. Would they launder through Deion, doubtful. Would they offer Mudiay a shoe deal now, that starts the day after SMU season ends, absolutely. Would they ink the deal or put a down payment on it now, no way.

Also, IF it was UA, they'll have Eman under contract now that he's going to China, not a year from now, so we'll see. They'd give him the Brandon Jennings treatment in a market that big and eager. Especially, w/Nike trying to block their build of factories over there. You have no idea how bad they want that expansion and could use that exposure

I'm not saying SMU did anything, but his amateurism situation is a dumpster fire. I have no interest in being around any potential fall-out for maybe 8 or 9 pts a game and a handful of dimes and boards
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AustinPerson » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:40 pm

At least we know the real character of mudiay now. Pretty ugly of him to string SMU along and then flake out. What a loser.
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby B1GPonyFan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:08 pm

It was Mudiay's amateurism that was the problem here. Go back and read the ESPN story when it broke last week and when Mudiay said he was really worried the NCAA was on to him. It had nothing to do with his academic situation. It was how straight this thing was.

Anyway, he's gone. I wish him well. And I'll say it again, he did SMU a huge favor by not coming here. This would have been a disaster. And I'm not talking about what it would be on the court. I'm talking about the fallout off the court that could have crippled SMU's basketball program.

We just dodged a huge bullet, folks.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Ponyneighbor » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:22 pm

That seems shortsighted to me. Having an SMU guy picked #1 overall would be great publicity for the program. On the other hand, if that comes with an NCAA penalty, I'll pass
Last edited by Ponyneighbor on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:28 pm

Anyone who thought it was academics hasn't really been paying attention.

I thought it was Under Armour from day 1 - but I'll trust hoopmanx on this one. We will probably never know.

We will also probably never know if it was SMU or Mudiay who pulled the plug - but somebody thought it was too close for comfort.

Anyway, like hoopmanx said, the potential downfall wasn't worth what we were going to get out of Mudiay for one season.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:42 pm

I'm sorry but can someone explain why this fallout only happened with mudiay but no other top ranked player?
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:44 am

Because we are SMU
RGV Pony

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:59 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Anyone who thought it was academics hasn't really been paying attention.

I thought it was Under Armour from day 1 - but I'll trust hoopmanx on this one. We will probably never know.

We will also probably never know if it was SMU or Mudiay who pulled the plug - but somebody thought it was too close for comfort.

Anyway, like hoopmanx said, the potential downfall wasn't worth what we were going to get out of Mudiay for one season.

It still could be UA, and IF it is, we'll know by the time he gets to China. Seriously, EMan could do more ROI good for UA in one season in China, than by being a top 5 pick here. That's UAs reality in China right now. Its on Phil Knight lockdown
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby alyssa » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:31 am

This is for the time that we lost.
The death of who we thought we were.
alyssa
All-American

Postby smusportspage » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:33 am

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I'm sorry but can someone explain why this fallout only happened with mudiay but no other top ranked player?

This is what is driving me nuts. Yes, I know we are SMU but come on....there are several other highly ranked players at Kentucky, Kansas and Louisville that seem to love to go to college! How does that happen? And don't tell me that they are going to college for the experience. Although, I think that is a valid reason but I am not 18 years old.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:36 am

sounds like we need to beef up our bball reputation a little more so the ncaa can stop picking on us
Pony ^

Postby smusportspage » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:38 am

Sounds about right.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby Treadway21 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:54 am

The further away we get from the actual news the less I care. Yes he would have been great. But since he never set foot on campus or played a minute in a SMU uniform, I just can't get worked up over the loss. Time heals all wounds. This is done.

We have a great team - all those returning starters is what I get worked up about not the loss of unrealized potential.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball