PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ponies top Owls 76-49

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ponies top Owls 76-49

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:58 am

I guess I'll just post to myself...haa haa.
Good 2nd half. I saw a lot of good moves in the 1st but they couldn't finish. Looks like Dement is more confident with Neimi than Castro. Not sure what happened to Castro..looks a little timid now. Damon had a solid game..Q was off tonight. Can't wait for Sat..should be a great game. Team is starting to look a little more balanced and not as much just Damon driving...which is good to see.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Ponies top Owls 76-49

Postby Bballer » Fri Jan 18, 2002 1:59 am

In response to your thoughts, Pony_Fan...
Maybe Dement is giving Niemi an opportunity to shine and be a leader down low since this is his last year. Mike has a lot of enthusiasm and brings a spark to the team. Dement also might be trying to push Castro a little, starting Niemi might be a motivational factor.

I think Damon's patented drive and shoot is starting to wear away a little, although he still does it a lot.

What we are missing is the perimeter shooting. Last year and years before Sasser would consistently drain a couple threes and when he didn't Q would light up or someone else. We need that consistent shooter like Sasser. Miller and Voc might be that answer, but they are hurt. Elsey was the answer, but he is in Waco now.

Overall, good game tonight, but it should not have been so close at times.

Let me guess, the frats and sororities had parties at 7:30, so they took the rain check. Rogers was there with face paint and won a DVD player. He never ceases to amaze me.

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby DiamondM » Fri Jan 18, 2002 2:42 pm

Castro did look a little lost out there compared to previous games. But Niemi looked pretty strong aggressive, albeit against a team with not very much post presence. Castro did take an uncharacteristic shot at a 3. It wasn't a bad shot, but it wasn't HIS shot.

Damon is our MVP right now, but he could be even more valuable if he would kick out to the wings after his very successful penetrating dribbles more often.

As for Rogers' appearance in the American Pie II promotion, I thought that had to be rigged. And what is the deal with promotions being completely out of the building before 9 pm. The band was an American Pie II Marching Band in the first half, but not in the second. The Mavs dancers disappeared quick after their performance too.

And finally, just found out last night that Niemi is an art major. I personally think that's pretty cool. Maybe the person with the Niemi-signed card last night can't sell it on ebay now, but maybe he's a future Picasso.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby rogershealy » Fri Jan 18, 2002 4:41 pm

Hello all,
If you are thinking that the DVD player contest was rigged, you are sadly wrong. I was lucky enough to get a MIKE NEIMI autographed flyer. So, Mustang M, if you would like to join me today in some DVD watching, be my guess. But you are not welcome if you bring your sour attitude. That doesnt fly. Peace
rogershealy
Varsity

Postby RedRiverPony » Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:32 pm

Second half defense was sensational, especially down the stretch. Q struggled with his shooting, but he was all over the place defensively. Jusin Isham also played great perimeter defense (kid is really quick and long for a guard.)

Jibran Kelley looked great with his interior defense, too. Very quick and active under the rim, and the guy hustles every minute he's in there. Very impressive.

BEAT TULSA!
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby DiamondM » Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:58 pm

Calm down Rogers. No sour attitude here, just all tongue in cheek. Many people thought the Superfan thing was rigged when I got it -- the week before you did. I was just teasing.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby rogershealy » Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:51 pm

ok
no worries
who are you diamond m?
rogershealy
Varsity

Return to Basketball