PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Memphis Wing Transfers

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Memphis Wing Transfers

Postby max the wonder dog » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:56 am

Damien Wilson, a top 150 recruit in the Class of 2012, is transferring from the U of Memphis "to be closer to home." No big loss for the team.

According to the Memphis paper, the 6'5" Wilson "played sparingly over two seasons at Memphis, averaging 1.8 points and one rebound over 43 career appearances" and "wasn't expected to see a major increase in minutes this season with the Tigers deep at the wing position."

I think the meta-story is that Coach Pastner doesn't do a good job of developing players.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Re: Memphis Wing Transfers

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:07 am

max the wonder dog wrote:
I think the meta-story is that Coach Pastner doesn't do a good job of developing players.

This. I don't know of a Coach that has failed at developing talent any worse than he has (or wears as much hair product...and for those that know me, yes I am jealous).
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:14 pm

And I thought this was going to be a BBQ thread.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby friarwolf » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:01 pm

Scott Drew is equal to or worse than pastner
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby SMU 86 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:40 am

Where is he from?
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby PonyFan32 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:20 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:And I thought this was going to be a BBQ thread.

Lol. If it was, you'd have plenty of people complaining that it doesn't belong on the basketball board :)
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby FriscoPMG » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Not sure if this was posted already (I didn't see it anywhere), but Memphis also picked up an Iowa State transfer:
Memphis has added transfer Calvin Godfrey to help bolster an already-talented front line, multiple sources told ESPN.

The 6-foot-7 Godfrey began his career at Iowa State before being dismissed for marijuana possession. He averaged 13.1 points and 8.8 rebounds last season at Southern -- and will be eligible this season due to Southern being ruled ineligible for the postseason due to poor APR scores.

"He is a high-major talent," one coach told ESPN.

UConn, according to sources, was interested in bringing Godfrey on board -- but the defending national champs wound up passing due to red flags. LSU also would not accept Godfrey.

Godfrey will add depth to a front line that already includes Shaq Goodwin and Austin Nichols.
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby ideal » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Surprised Colorado didn't pick him up.
The ncaa is a R.I.C.O.
ideal
Junior Varsity

Postby max the wonder dog » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:13 pm

And just when a front court player transfers and is eligible to play at Memphis, another transfers out.

It was just announced that the team released 6-10, 290-pound Dominic Woodson, who played in 20 games for Memphis last season, averaging 2.5 points and 1.9 rebounds.

Godfrey, who transferred in from Southern, clearly had a better stats line that the two players who have left, but I don't how to factor in his playing against SWAC competition. Southern was the only team in the conference with a sub-200 RPI.

Memphis has two solid bigs in Austin Nichols and Shaq Goodwin, but the only remaining players with any size remaining are 6'10", 209-pound Kuran Iverson, who played 9 minutes per game last year, but most of those minutes came in blow-out wins; and 6'8", 245-pound Hippolyte Tsafack who sat out last year and played a total of 40 minutes as a freshman and sophomore.

When Austin and Shaq leave the game it's going to be party time inside for the Mustangs.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Dutch » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:07 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:
max the wonder dog wrote:

This. I don't know of a Coach that has failed at developing talent any worse than he has (or wears as much hair product...and for those that know me, yes I am jealous).

or flails his arms angrily during games.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby max the wonder dog » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:06 pm

TigerJ wrote:
max the wonder dog wrote:And just when a front court player transfers and is eligible to play at Memphis, another transfers out.

It was just announced that the team released 6-10, 290-pound Dominic Woodson, who played in 20 games for Memphis last season, averaging 2.5 points and 1.9 rebounds.

Godfrey, who transferred in from Southern, clearly had a better stats line that the two players who have left, but I don't how to factor in his playing against SWAC competition. Southern was the only team in the conference with a sub-200 RPI.

Memphis has two solid bigs in Austin Nichols and Shaq Goodwin, but the only remaining players with any size remaining are 6'10", 209-pound Kuran Iverson, who played 9 minutes per game last year, but most of those minutes came in blow-out wins; and 6'8", 245-pound Hippolyte Tsafack who sat out last year and played a total of 40 minutes as a freshman and sophomore.

When Austin and Shaq leave the game it's going to be party time inside for the Mustangs.

Woodson is suppose to enroll in a juco close to Memphis and come back the following year. This frees up a scholly for this year and we are suppose to be getting a PG that played at Vandy. Our frontcourt will feature Shaq Goodwin, Austin Nichols, Kuran Iverson(stretch 4), Chris Hawkins, Nick King(pinch 4), and Calvin Godfrey. Dom would have trouble getting minutes over these guys this season anyway. Woodson wants to come back to Memphis but has to transfer for year because of a fight with a football player. It will not be a party when Shaq and Austin are out of the game. Our frontcourt is still stout. Also if it means we add this veteran PG then Dom's one year transfer was a good trade off.

http://247sports.com/Player/Kedren-Johnson-1094

An all SEC first team his sophmore year and averaged 13 and 4

Goodwin and Nichols are first rate big men. Iverson and Godfrey are a little light. Hawkins is only 6'5" and Nick King is more a 2/3. Unless Godfrey plays up to his potential and Iverson makes a big jump from last year, there is going to be a big drop at the 4-5 when Goodwin and Nichols leave the game. I see the updated Memphis roster has Hippolyte off the team.

Now Johnson is a great get, especially if he is eligible this year when the Tigers are inexperienced at the point.

Josh is a great recruiter, he's getting better as a bench coach, and you can't ask for a better face for the program. Unfortunately for Memphis, his players don't show much improvement from year-to-year.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:23 am

Will Barton was a McDs AA. The worst he's ever been, in high school, AAU, NBA was college under Pastner. Not up for debate

Joe Jackson was a top 40 kid, a hometown hero, and mostly a disappointment, despite being playing well as a junior/senior.

Austin Nichols was an elite recruit. He's playing to the level expected of such a kid

DJ Stephens improved, cause he was awful at SMUs elite camp his junior year.

Stephens is the only kid who exceeded expectations.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby TigerPony » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:41 am

The question you have to ask is whether it is Pastner or the players or both that are responsible for player development. Pastner has had success in developing some players. He has had some players not live up to their hype. To lay the blame solely at Pastner's feet seems a bit much. Now, has Pastner recruited Derrick Rose level talent? No. But, then people forget that prior to Rose, Calipari's high level recruits usually didn't pan out either.
TigerPony

Postby ojaipony » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:43 am

TigerPony wrote:The question you have to ask is whether it is Pastner or the players or both that are responsible for player development. Pastner has had success in developing some players. He has had some players not live up to their hype. To lay the blame solely at Pastner's feet seems a bit much. Now, has Pastner recruited Derrick Rose level talent? No. But, then people forget that prior to Rose, Calipari's high level recruits usually didn't pan out either.

Memphis will be solid as usual and gunning for us at Moody. I suspect we'll split with them again, and I'd take it. Of course, I prefer a sweep but . . .
ojaipony

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:03 pm

TigerJ wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Will Barton was a McDs AA. The worst he's ever been, in high school, AAU, NBA was college under Pastner. Not up for debate

Joe Jackson was a top 40 kid, a hometown hero, and mostly a disappointment, despite being playing well as a junior/senior.

Austin Nichols was an elite recruit. He's playing to the level expected of such a kid

DJ Stephens improved, cause he was awful at SMUs elite camp his junior year.

Stephens is the only kid who exceeded expectations.

Will Barton almost averaged a double double as a guard his sophmore year. He was CUSA player of the year and led the team in rebounding and points. He was only a second round pick because he had concerns about his weight and three point shot.

Joe Jackson broke school records while at Memphis. He was up there with some of our greats in points and assist. The NBA was always going to be a hurdle for Joe Jackson given his height as a PG. Most teams in the NBA have no place for a 5'10 PG unless they are abnormal like Ty Lawson or Nate Robinson.

People are so quick to bash Pastner that they will jump on the smallest things. If he is so horrible tell LB to stop losing to him and make it to the NCAA tournament with SMU. It would also help if you could get your commits to stick.

LOL, Will Barton was as good entering Memphis as he was leaving. I know, Charm City is my wheelhouse. I've seen that kid and his brother since they were 10.

Joe Jackson had a good career, not great. His accolades were larger than his production, no matter how decent his career was. Be real..you think you could get even 3 college hoops & recruiting junkies to say Jackson lived up to his hype?

As for the SMU bashing, we're just fine. Bring it
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Basketball