PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Basketball Scholarships

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Basketball Scholarships

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:12 am

Free Chicken Dinner for OBF
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby diamond_tom » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:12 pm

Thanks OBF.
diamond_tom
All-American

Postby GiddyUp » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:19 pm

thanks for clarifying. I was thinking the same thing. You send out 10 offers for a PG and then 5 of them say they are ready to go in the same couple of days.
GiddyUp
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:10 pm

GiddyUp wrote:thanks for clarifying. I was thinking the same thing. You send out 10 offers for a PG and then 5 of them say they are ready to go in the same couple of days.

It's rare to have 10 offers out. Like I said, with basketball, you really need to be ready to take that commit on the spot if they want it. It's really bad to tell a kid he can't commit, especially when he's playing for a power like Plano West, or a top AAU team. It's hard to go back to that well or pipeline after you've f'd the kid over, coaches (AAU/HS) talk and they remember these things. I'd say with bball, wouldn't be uncommon to recruit 10 PGs hard, but maybe only have a few offers out at a time. Would be shocked if LB has more than 20 offers out period for the entire 2015 class. One other key that really gets overlooked is the compatibility. It's so much more important to a bball team than football because every player is that much more important. Gotta be very careful about who you "admit" to the family so to speak because you can really throw off the team chemistry if you bring in a kid that is an [deleted] or doesn't have the same values/interests as the rest of the team simply because he's good. That's why it's borderline amazing what Cal is doing at UK.

[deleted], and where do I pick-up my dinner? I'm all over that one.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:01 pm

AusTxPony wrote:Could someone explain how these scholarships work? It seems as though we have offered many more players per position than we could ever take on scholarship. Does the first kid in each position who pulls the trigger get the scholarship or are these scholarship offers only committable if SMU says so? That would be like a game of chess, wouldn't it? If so, how are they worded? As you can see, I am in the dark about this.

Works just like when SMU football offers more scholarships than the 25 they are allowed to sign each year. Same basic concept.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball