PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tulsa Game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tulsa Game

Postby No Cal Pony » Sun Jan 20, 2002 2:29 am

Hate to be negative, but couldn't listen to the end of the game. It seemed like we were not playing well at all. Can somebody please explain?

Go Ponies!
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Re: Tulsa Game

Postby Bballer » Sun Jan 20, 2002 3:05 am

17 turnovers
10 missed free throws

Really other than that I cannot explain the loss. Look at these stats...
Points in the paint-TULSA 40,SMU 36. Points off turnovers-TULSA 18,SMU 16.
2nd chance points-TULSA 12,SMU 13. Fast break points-TULSA 8,SMU 6.
Bench points-TULSA 5,SMU 15.

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:00 am

Explaination:

1. Their frontcourt made us look silly.
2. We need a true PG. TU has one, we don't.
3. They hit 3's. we can't ever defend them
4. FT's down the stretch.
5. Their big men schooled ours.
6. Refs sucked on both sides of the ball.
7. They are a better team - period.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponystudent » Sun Jan 20, 2002 3:10 pm

Realisation...

Another big game lost.
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Postby WildHorse » Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:03 pm

Actually, Tulsa doesn't really have a point guard either. They played as many as three guards at once who were between 5-10 and 6-2, and lightning-quick. None is a true PG, though, as they all rotate the ball-handling duties, and all shoot fairly well. I guess Antonio Reed was the closest to a true PG they had, as he was most productive of the three in driving through the defense, either for a lay-up or kicking the ball outside to one of the shooters. And despite the fact that none of their guards are very big, they were quick enough to be effective defensively.

We, on the other hand, were NOT effective defensively. And it's not because of Hancock and Q and Isham being unable to keep up with the Tulsa guards. They kept up fine. The thing that drove me nuts was that we had a big man in front of Davis all night, and they just lobbed the ball over the top, where Davis got easy buckets. I realize that we were behind, and if Davis is the guy killing us, you want to deny him the ball. But he was working Eric Castro, sealing him off and holding him away from the hoop, then breaking away from Castro to go get the lob pass for an easy 2.

We never forced Davis to show that he could play with his back to the basket, and he is shorter than Castro, Niemi, Kelley and Simpson, each of whom took a shot at guarding him. The guy's listed at 6-7, and we made him look like Melivin Ely.

Speaking of which, guess who's up next for the Ponies? Got to get some interior defense issues worked out - in a hurry - or Ely's going to go nuts against us.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby Bballer » Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:05 am

I totally agree with that lob pass statement. I meant to post that but forgot.

------------------
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyGirl » Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:11 am

Eric Castro needed help guarding Davis down low. He was helpless down there. Maybe Simpson, with his long arms and jumping ability, would have had more luck preventing the lob passes.

Simpson might be our best bet against Fresno, covering their big guy.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby DiamondM » Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:16 pm

Tulsa is the better team. I would have liked us to play better though. First half was full of lazy passes and laziness in getting back on defense, allowing them some easy baskets. Simpson was exposed against a stronger interior presence. He's still quick and he will be very good, but I hope he puts a little muscle on over the summer so he can better bang it out inside.

Second half was a bit better, and the team fought back from a large deficit. Had Q hit that 3 with under 3 minutes to go instead of it rattling in and out, we would have cut the deficit to 2, and we wouldn't have had to foul -- they were solid at the line. Also if the darn refs would have called that obvious carry on Harrington, we would have had the ball back down 5 instead of 7 or 8 with a little over a minute left.

Overall, the Ponies could have played better, but they didn't give up. I like the fight in them.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby No Cal Pony » Mon Jan 21, 2002 8:01 pm

Thanks fellow Pony fans for your thoughts and assesments. Listening to the game, it seemed that we were as good as tulsa, just not quite there though. Yes, the guys seemded to hang in there, but that was just it. They were just hanging in there. Can't say to much about the refs, but ny past experience when at a game is we always seem to get the short end of the stick. Been that way in all sports since 1987.

I look forward to the development of the team as the new recruits come in. If Dement can continue to recruit like he has, look out. Let's hope he can continue to develop the kids too.
No Cal Pony
Varsity

Return to Basketball