PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Updated CBS Top 25 - SMU #24

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Updated CBS Top 25 - SMU #24

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:34 am

Sporting News - Markus Kennedy on the cover.

@SN_Yrbks: .@SMUBasketball is riding the rocket into our top25 thanks to legendary coach @LarryBrownSMU and star @mark_kennedy5. http://t.co/YKlsrUteUf
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:54 am

VERY COOL!
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby Treadway21 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:14 am

I agree with both OBF and Hoopman - is that possible. Mudiay was a big loss, but wasn't really a loss since we never had him. Seems we are ranked about right - we were on the cusp of the top 25 last year and didn't lose much from that team.

I have never been so exceed for basketball so early in the year.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Zman89 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:51 am

hoopmanx wrote:I disagree w/OBF. It's simplistic to say Mudiay is worth a certain number of games. Who's to say he would have been a bigger difference make than say Martin or Tolbert? Who's to say chemistry won't be a ton better w/Emans absence? I get why we were dropped by noobs, but to those that know the roster, how exactly are we worse this year than last/ What Emegolu gets cleared too?

The reality is that this was a top 20 type team last year that got better. Don't factor in Eman, he never player here. Look at what we return and what we added, should 2 of 3 get cleared. That's a top 20 program this year

It's a situation that we'll never know how it would have turned out. The cupboard is not exactly bare for the ponies.
Zman89
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:58 am

Bottom line is we've got a very talented team. Nic and Markus were all-conference last year and both will be two of the best in the AAC this season. The chemistry with these guys seems to great, and that shouldn't change. Also, we've got several guys who have only scratched the surface in Sterling, KF, Yanick and Emelogu.

That Zags game should be big time. A borderline top 10 oppontent in their soldout arena going bonkers on ESPN. I think the game is very winnable. It's our chance to announce to the bball world we're are for real. Just over 90 days away!

LA_Mustang

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:11 pm

BTW, get ready for a late Monday night. The Zags game is a 10p CST tip. Hopefully, there will be an organized watching party somewhere.

LA_Mustang

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:19 pm

hoopmanx wrote:I disagree w/OBF. It's simplistic to say Mudiay is worth a certain number of games. Who's to say he would have been a bigger difference make than say Martin or Tolbert? Who's to say chemistry won't be a ton better w/Emans absence? I get why we were dropped by noobs, but to those that know the roster, how exactly are we worse this year than last/ What Emegolu gets cleared too?

The reality is that this was a top 20 type team last year that got better. Don't factor in Eman, he never player here. Look at what we return and what we added, should 2 of 3 get cleared. That's a top 20 program this year

I'm not putting it simply on Mudiay alone but to act as if it's not a blow to consider in the preseason ranking is not being fair to the situation. A lot of the top 10 ranking was based on the fact that SMU was acquiring an elite guard that provides either a) a PG or b) depth at the very least at PG. He also provided the wing scorer that can slash and finish in transition through traffic which SMU lacked last year. So I do think it is fair for them to drop in an updated preseason ranking 10 spots knowing what we know now. Preseason rankings aren't always correct either but on paper, he was supposed to make the team much better by filling holes and providing scoring.

That said, there's still question marks that need to be proven with this team. The core of the roster is intact. Like I said before, I think it is a top 20 team but until this group gets a win away from Moody that is worth something, I think the ranking is fair when comparing SMU head-to-head vs the other teams ranked between 15-30. Let's also be clear that the difference between being ranked #15 and #30 is very small as opposed to top 5 versus top 15.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:48 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:I'm not putting it simply on Mudiay alone but to act as if it's not a blow to consider in the preseason ranking is not being fair to the situation. A lot of the top 10 ranking was based on the fact that SMU was acquiring an elite guard that provides either a) a PG or b) depth at the very least at PG. He also provided the wing scorer that can slash and finish in transition through traffic which SMU lacked last year. So I do think it is fair for them to drop in an updated preseason ranking 10 spots knowing what we know now. Preseason rankings aren't always correct either but on paper, he was supposed to make the team much better by filling holes and providing scoring.

That said, there's still question marks that need to be proven with this team. The core of the roster is intact. Like I said before, I think it is a top 20 team but until this group gets a win away from Moody that is worth something, I think the ranking is fair when comparing SMU head-to-head vs the other teams ranked between 15-30. Let's also be clear that the difference between being ranked #15 and #30 is very small as opposed to top 5 versus top 15.

Every program has certain question marks heading into the year. Eman addressed many of those, but his presence, as w/most every one & done, isn't w/o drawbacks. From a prognostication standpoint, it should never be about losing a player, it should be about what's on the team. SMU was a top 25 club last year who lost Russell & Williams, only to replace w/Tolbert & Martin. That's your reality, and what this team should be judged by now. When you look at what SMU brings back and adds, can you really name 17 or 18 teams better on paper?
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:58 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:I'm not putting it simply on Mudiay alone but to act as if it's not a blow to consider in the preseason ranking is not being fair to the situation. A lot of the top 10 ranking was based on the fact that SMU was acquiring an elite guard that provides either a) a PG or b) depth at the very least at PG. He also provided the wing scorer that can slash and finish in transition through traffic which SMU lacked last year. So I do think it is fair for them to drop in an updated preseason ranking 10 spots knowing what we know now. Preseason rankings aren't always correct either but on paper, he was supposed to make the team much better by filling holes and providing scoring.

Every program has certain question marks heading into the year. Eman addressed many of those, but his presence, as w/most every one & done, isn't w/o drawbacks. From a prognostication standpoint, it should never be about losing a player, it should be about what's on the team. SMU was a top 25 club last year who lost Russell & Williams, only to replace w/Tolbert & Martin. That's your reality, and what this team should be judged by now. When you look at what SMU brings back and adds, can you really name 17 or 18 teams better on paper?

No.

As I said, was never my argument. It's a preseason ranking and I understand the justification of the ranking. The team choked some bad games and only got one quality road/neutral floor win with 7 or 8 chances. Until that changes, it's also hard to justify them being in the top 15 in a preseason ranking either without addressing the deficiencies from last year. For the record, I think they are a top 15 and will prove to be a top 15. My biggest concern is getting a great seed in the tournament due to a perceived weak conference schedule. SMU won't have the luxury of a benefit of the doubt with bad losses and lack of quality OOC wins as we saw last year.

I do think the roster was upgraded but the original ranking took the upgrades into account I believe (Martin and Tolbert). Emannuel enhanced the roster even further to really solidify a justification of a top 10 ranking. Good team, returning 90% of contributors, adding best HS guard in the country with two very quality transfers that played significant roles at their previous institutions.

That's my two cents.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:26 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:As I said, was never my argument. It's a preseason ranking and I understand the justification of the ranking. The team choked some bad games and only got one quality road/neutral floor win with 7 or 8 chances. Until that changes, it's also hard to justify them being in the top 15 in a preseason ranking either without addressing the deficiencies from last year. For the record, I think they are a top 15 and will prove to be a top 15. My biggest concern is getting a great seed in the tournament due to a perceived weak conference schedule. SMU won't have the luxury of a benefit of the doubt with bad losses and lack of quality OOC wins as we saw last year.

I do think the roster was upgraded but the original ranking took the upgrades into account I believe (Martin and Tolbert). Emannuel enhanced the roster even further to really solidify a justification of a top 10 ranking. Good team, returning 90% of contributors, adding best HS guard in the country with two very quality transfers that played significant roles at their previous institutions.

That's my two cents.

I just like to gauge on what we know, there is too much grey area elsewhere. Go by rosters, additions and subtractions, talent levels and coaching. We know last years team had problems on the road, but they hadnt played a legit program in 10 years prior to that. Not sure how any of that applies to this year, where the core is now experienced. We have a competitive schedule, certainly not one that keeps you out of the tourney, unless you lose garbage games. The roster is better.

FWIW, I think we should move down 4 or 5 spots b/c of Mudiay, just not 12 whatever.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:55 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:As I said, was never my argument. It's a preseason ranking and I understand the justification of the ranking. The team choked some bad games and only got one quality road/neutral floor win with 7 or 8 chances. Until that changes, it's also hard to justify them being in the top 15 in a preseason ranking either without addressing the deficiencies from last year. For the record, I think they are a top 15 and will prove to be a top 15. My biggest concern is getting a great seed in the tournament due to a perceived weak conference schedule. SMU won't have the luxury of a benefit of the doubt with bad losses and lack of quality OOC wins as we saw last year.

That's my two cents.

I just like to gauge on what we know, there is too much grey area elsewhere. Go by rosters, additions and subtractions, talent levels and coaching. We know last years team had problems on the road, but they hadnt played a legit program in 10 years prior to that. Not sure how any of that applies to this year, where the core is now experienced. We have a competitive schedule, certainly not one that keeps you out of the tourney, unless you lose garbage games. The roster is better.

FWIW, I think we should move down 4 or 5 spots b/c of Mudiay, just not 12 whatever.

I think the team falls into that 10-15 range but just need to prove some things before voters give them the vote of confidence. Gotta remember that most media and talking heads didn't even know SMU had a bball program prior to last season. Most still have not seen the Ponies play one game I'm sure.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:12 pm

I agree with OBF. And I also think the Tolbert eligibility is HUGE. Also, how Martin plays will be huge (hard to tell from the limited tape I've seen - he's big and experienced but is he competitive/a "winner"? Don't know . . . Russell wasn't the most athletic/skilled guy in the world, but he had maturity/leadership/experience in spades and had some clutch moments - is Martin an equal "trade"?). Anyway, I love this team's chemistry and experience and hope they learned some things last year. I agree that that Zags game is huge (so is Michigan). It won't really help, though, if we win 1 (or 2 of those) and then lay an egg or 2 to inferior conference teams and not win a conference tourney game. Just sayin'.
ojaipony

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:31 pm

Just have to see how the chemistry is with Martin and Tolbert (if cleared) with the team. Right now they are kind of paper tigers to a degree until we see how they play with the other players in Coach Brown's system. Should be fun to watch.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:43 pm

EJ picked that title for the updated ranking that don't even count?? So much for a positive spin for your alma mater....

“@dallasnews: SMU drops 12 spots in latest CBS Sports preseason basketball rankings http://d-news.co/AfYmI http://twitter.com/dallasnews/status/49 ... 92/photo/1”

LA_Mustang

Postby smupony94 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:55 pm

He also said SMU to the SEC
smupony94

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball