PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kentucky

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Kentucky

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:56 pm

Why is Kentucky already getting to play games? I didn't realize that schools could play unofficial games in August? Is this common?

“@RobDauster: Five thoughts on Kentucky after their third straight win in the Bahamas http://wp.me/p1aWjM-274c http://twitter.com/RobDauster/status/49 ... 73/photo/1”
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Kentucky

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:01 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Why is Kentucky already getting to play games? I didn't realize that schools could play unofficial games in August? Is this common?

“@RobDauster: Five thoughts on Kentucky after their third straight win in the Bahamas http://wp.me/p1aWjM-274c http://twitter.com/RobDauster/status/49 ... 73/photo/1”

Every four years, team can leave the country to play games. If you've seen the Fab Five 30 for 30, you might remember their Europe Trip? That was their trip for the four years. It basically in theory is to allow every player to travel once in their college career, every 4 years=cycle to graduate. Ohio State also played some pro teams in the Bahamas just a week and a half ago. They're just exhibitions...SMU will do the same when LB wants to. SMU may be in the middle of the cycle, not sure when they played exhibitions out of the country. Just kind of a cool way for players to see other parts of the world. My friend played at Weber State and she got to play in Italy for a freaking month, was so jealous.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:09 pm

Okay. That makes sense. I guess I've just never noticed schools doing this in the past. Thanks. BTW, it does seem like a great opportunity for the players, and for coaches to get their guys extra practice.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Stallion » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:18 pm

SMU did it when they played the African tour when Papa Dia was around-we should be about ready for another tour
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:32 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Okay. That makes sense. I guess I've just never noticed schools doing this in the past. Thanks. BTW, it does seem like a great opportunity for the players, and for coaches to get their guys extra practice.

Most aren't highly publicized. I doubt you knew Ohio St was down there a week ago playing the Bahamas All-Stars and another pro team. Just happens that UK is the #1 team in the country and it's Calipari...

At any rate, definitely a good opportunity to get the freshmen mixed in and have extra practices against real competition.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby PoconoPony » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:19 pm

ESPN has actually carried highlights and scores for this UK tour.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Smerkins » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:26 pm

PoconoPony wrote:ESPN has actually carried highlights and scores for this UK tour.

They have carried more than highlights... They are airing the games with Jay Bilas commentating. BBN loves their Cats.
Smerkins
Varsity

Postby ponyswim » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:21 pm

Larry talked about going on a trip before last year - giving a chance for all the transfers to play together in the summer. He wanted to go to Europe. I would think that next summer would be a really good year to go, to try and get all the freshmen on the same page, since we should have a really big freshmen class.
ponyswim
Varsity

Return to Basketball