PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Requirements to Join The Mob

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Requirements to Join The Mob

Postby Smerkins » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:10 pm

Hey guys. Figured I would let you know what's going on with The Mob this season after its success last season. We got emails from the athletic department today that details how to gain membership this season. We have to get 130 points by going to select athletic events in the fall to become eligible to join. Gaining those points though does not guarantee you membership as it will be capped.

Reaction has been mixed from students (because the system is more complex than last year), but I don't really see an issue with it. Should weed out the students that are lazy and don't make a very good fan presence.

Here's the email:
SMU Athletics and Men’s Basketball would like to thank you for being part of the historic first year of The Mob. We thank you for providing Moody Coliseum with one of the best home court advantages in all of College Basketball! We hope the momentum from last year will carry over into 2014-2015 as The Mob enters its 2nd year.

How to Join The Mob for 2014-15:

Full time undergraduate and graduate students will need to earn Student Loyalty Points by attending Fall SMU athletic events to become eligible to purchase their Mob membership. Students will need to earn 130 points by attending the games/matches below.

Previous members of The Mob will automatically start with 30 points towards their Mob eligibility.

Football - 30 Points Each
9/20 vs. Texas A&M
9/27 vs. TCU
10/18 vs. Cincinnati
10/25 vs. Memphis

Men's Soccer – 10 Points Each
9/5 Men's Soccer vs. Duke
9/26 Men's Soccer vs. Tulsa

Women’s Soccer – 10 Points Each
8/29 Women's Soccer vs. Texas Southern
10/12 Women's Soccer vs. UConn
Volleyball – 10 Points Each
9/6 Volleyball vs. OU
10/10 Volleyball vs. Houston

*As a reward for being a member of The Mob last year, past Mob members will be credited with 30 points towards their Mob eligibility for the 2014-15 season. The 30 points will be added to your account before the first home event.

How to Earn Points
The Student Loyalty Point Program will be run through the mobile application ‘Varsity’
· Students MUST download and sign up for the app ‘Varsity’ using their SMU ID# before they can start earning points. Games/matches attended before downloading and checking in through ‘Varsity’ will not count towards Mob eligibility.
Click here to download ‘Varsity’ in the Apple iTunes Store.
Click here to download ‘Varsity’ in the Google Play Store.
· Using the mobile app ‘Varsity’, students will check in at select SMU athletic events
· Students can check their point totals and an overall student leaderboard on ‘Varsity’ or by visiting http://www.smuvarsityrewards.com
· Earning 130 points does not guarantee a Mob membership. Memberships are limited and must be purchased before available spots are full.

Benefits of your $79 Mob Membership:
· Guaranteed Men’s Basketball Tickets
· Post-Season Ticket Priority
· Exclusive Nike Apparel and Giveaways
· Exclusive Events with Coach Brown and Team
· Mustang Club Priority Points That Help Determine Basketball Season Ticket Eligibility After Graduation

Student Loyalty Point Program (.pdf) Student Loyalty Point FAQ Sheet (.pdf)

Any questions about the Student Loyalty Points or The Mob please email themob@smu.edu, or go to http://www.smumustangs.com/themob

Thank you again for your support!

Go Mustangs!
Last edited by Smerkins on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smerkins
Varsity

Re: New Requirements to Join The Mob

Postby bubba pony » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:18 pm

clicked on the mob web page and there is a kid with the hook 'en horns sign. my god, how stupid can SMU mob be?

bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Planter's Punch » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:25 pm

Lots of schools use points from going to other team events for getting tickets to the more in demand games/sports. Given the low attendance for football games in October this is a great idea. I still can't believe what LB has been able to accomplish with school spirit.

For the above picture, at least he is at the game wearing the right colors. Baby steps. :roll:
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:29 pm

I have no problem with this.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Smerkins » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:30 pm

NM
Last edited by Smerkins on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smerkins
Varsity

Postby Grant Carter » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Alumni have to make donations and students have to attend some other games. Seems fair on both counts.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:36 pm

Seriously, all you have to do is go to FOUR of the football games and ONE of the "other sports" games - when they picked really good ones for you?

It's somewhat shameful SMU students aren't already going to all of these games anyway - especially those who purport to be big SMU fans.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Junior » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:39 pm

bubba pony wrote:clicked on the mob web page and there is a kid with the hook 'en horns sign. my god, how stupid can SMU mob be?

he's not doing hook 'em. he's doing the "i wanna rock" sign. no one does hook 'em unless they're wearing burnt orange or are matthew mcconahey.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby StallionsModelT » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Good freaking grief. The tickets to football games are free and we play Texas A&M, TCU, Cincinnati, and Houston. That's four quality home opponents. God forbid some of our students actually walk into Ford.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Planter's Punch » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:02 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Seriously, all you have to do is go to FOUR of the football games and ONE of the "other sports" games - when they picked really good ones for you?

It's somewhat shameful SMU students aren't already going to all of these games anyway - especially those who purport to be big SMU fans.

Given where SMU has been fan wise, this is still a herculean leap forward. Imagine having the MOB during Doherty, it would have been a joke. LB is transforming/creating SMU fans, if only we had a coach in FB to match.
Planter's Punch
All-American

Postby Smerkins » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:08 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:Good freaking grief. The tickets to football games are free and we play Texas A&M, TCU, Cincinnati, and Houston. That's four quality home opponents. God forbid some of our students actually walk into Ford.

No one I know is complaining about actually going to the games, so I'm not sure why you would jump to that conclusion.
Smerkins
Varsity

Postby ponyinNC » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:26 am

Every school around me (UNC, Duke, NC ST, Wake, Clemson, USC) does this exact same thing.

And most of the time it does not guarantee tickets - it is simply a condition precedent.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:57 am

Smerkins wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:Good freaking grief. The tickets to football games are free and we play Texas A&M, TCU, Cincinnati, and Houston. That's four quality home opponents. God forbid some of our students actually walk into Ford.

No one I know is complaining about actually going to the games, so I'm not sure why you would jump to that conclusion.

I believe it's because in your original post you mentioned students had mixed reactions. Go to 4 football games and you get your membership renewed. I'm not sure how there could/should be any mixed reactions over that.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:17 am

I like how it ties into MC priority points post-graduation, too. Get em started early.
smusic 00

Postby smusportspage » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:52 am

I like it. I especially like that there is a necessity for this. Great job LB and Great job MOB!
smusportspage
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball