PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Requirements to Join The Mob

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: New Requirements to Join The Mob

Postby DiamondM » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:00 am

Personally, I would make them check in with their app in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarter to earn their points to prevent them showing up, checking in, and turning right around to go back to the Boulevard. So you get 15 points for showing up, but if you want your full 30, you have to check in and get 5 points for each additional quarter you stay.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Smerkins » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:23 pm

PonyPlayer4 wrote:
Smerkins wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:Good freaking grief. The tickets to football games are free and we play Texas A&M, TCU, Cincinnati, and Houston. That's four quality home opponents. God forbid some of our students actually walk into Ford.

No one I know is complaining about actually going to the games, so I'm not sure why you would jump to that conclusion.

I believe it's because in your original post you mentioned students had mixed reactions. Go to 4 football games and you get your membership renewed. I'm not sure how there could/should be any mixed reactions over that.

Yeah I just realized that, sorry I wasn't exactly clear.
Smerkins
Varsity

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:53 pm

good and easy rules
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GiddyUp » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:53 pm

most will check in and leave but it's definitely a start. might even be able to check in outside of the gate.
GiddyUp

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:10 pm

GiddyUp wrote:most will check in and leave but it's definitely a start. might even be able to check in outside of the gate.

They really need to require a scan out for the points somehow.

(so sad we have to think this way...)
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby whitwiki » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:03 am

Why would we expect to force them to stay if we are getting our asses kicked? How about we field a competitive team so people want to stay?
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby Pony Fan » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:52 am

whitwiki wrote:Why would we expect to force them to stay if we are getting our asses kicked? How about we field a competitive team so people want to stay?

Exactly
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby redpony » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:27 pm

I may be the only one that feels this way but I think it is a travesty to stuff a crappy fball program down the students throats if they want to belong to a bball spirit group. There is now way you can get enough points without being forced to go to some fball games. Sort of smacks of 'subtle extortion'.

If casper and his boss, who are totally mired in mediocrity with the fball program, want to increase attendance at the fball games they needed to get a coach who cared, who interacts with the students, and respects the school and it's traditions.
LB has proven that a coach who cares, who builds a winner and recruits can create attendance and excitement not just at SMU but with the entire Dallas community. Tiki has had over 6 years to do this and has totally failed to bring us a league championship, to get us to a top 25 level and has even failed to make us competitive with our old conference foes. Now casper sees there is little interest in supporting that kind of program so he attempts to stuff it down the throats of the fans and students.
JMHO.
redpony

Postby coloradoStang » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:29 pm

They need to advertise this way more. I'm a student who follows SMU sports pretty heavily and this post is the first I've heard of the program. I'd say the huge majority of kids know nothing about this. Hopefully they make a big push when school starts.
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby Smerkins » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:00 pm

coloradoStang wrote:They need to advertise this way more. I'm a student who follows SMU sports pretty heavily and this post is the first I've heard of the program. I'd say the huge majority of kids know nothing about this. Hopefully they make a big push when school starts.

You didn't get an email? I thought you were a Mob member man.
Smerkins
Varsity

Postby coloradoStang » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:07 pm

Smerkins wrote:
coloradoStang wrote:They need to advertise this way more. I'm a student who follows SMU sports pretty heavily and this post is the first I've heard of the program. I'd say the huge majority of kids know nothing about this. Hopefully they make a big push when school starts.

You didn't get an email? I thought you were a Mob member man.

Yeah I know Idk why I didnt get it, i'll look again. Regardless this is a great idea, it will keep the mob full of the most dedicated smu sports fans.

But I do think it needs to be sent out to more then just last years mob members
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby SMULaxer » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:50 pm

This is great. Show up to pony up
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:43 pm

redpony's vitriol against Rick Hart is laughable. Who was going to write the $2M check to buyout June after last year? No one, and the people paying June's salary are apparently OK with him so what is Rick supposed to do?

Sorry redpony but unless you're stroking six-figure checks to the athletic department your opinion isn't that important. I agree with your points about getting a coach who engages the community, but if you want to complain, complain about the CoC members who are content with the status quo. Rick answers to them, not you or me.

The requirements to join The Mob are perfectly fine, implemented at many other schools across the country, and should increase student attendance at games- if we get them in the door they just might buy a soda and a hot dog and check out the game, which is a lot more than can be said about previous seasons. The A&M and TCU games should pique students' interest anyways- now it's up to JJ and company to put on a respectable showing so they're not out the door before halftime
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:51 pm

I think it was closer to 5 million
RGV Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:09 pm

RGV Pony wrote:I think it was closer to 5 million

Whatever the figure, the check wasn't getting written, so JJ was coming back.

Rick has voiced his displeasure with JJ about recruiting- see the "Recruiting Blitz" that was promoted on Twitter and a good (albeit small in numbers) recruiting class shaping up for 2015: 4-star QB Kearns, 3-star (probably getting bumped to 4-star soon on Rivals) WR Proche, 3-star WR McCrary, 3-star OL Marvis Brown, and the Scott twins from Irving who both hold numerous P5 offers.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball