PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Requirements to Join The Mob

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: New Requirements to Join The Mob

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:14 pm

I don't disagree
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Junior » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:52 pm

I think ECM is right.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby redpony » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:11 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:redpony's vitriol against Rick Hart is laughable.
The requirements to join The Mob are perfectly fine,

ECM- first, my comments were directed at both casper and RGT (please re-read the comments). IMO if RGT ( our great fund raiser) had really wanted a change and if casper had urged him to do so then I believe he could have pushed the envelope and gotten a change made. At this point in time it probably doesn't make any difference that we have lost a year in trying to catch up as we most likely won't be invited to the 'party' anyway.

Regarding the mob requirements: If casper had structured it so that potential members could have gotten all of their membership points through other sports activities I would have had no problem with it. My issue is forcing them to go to a game to see a crap product just to belong to a bball spirit group is a poor idea. It is obvious that he is desperate to get people to Ford this year.
BTW- I seriously doubt his comments that we have sold a record number of tickets this year.
An old saying- figures don't lie but liars figure seems to ring true here. We will see how full the stadium is after the TCU and A&M games.

As a former professional manager I always felt that people reacted best to positive motivation as opposed to what has been presented to join a bball group. Obviously, since you are in strong disagreement with me your manner of motivating people differs considerably from mine. To each his own. :)
redpony

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:17 pm

redpony wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:redpony's vitriol against Rick Hart is laughable.
The requirements to join The Mob are perfectly fine,

ECM- first, my comments were directed at both casper and RGT (please re-read the comments). IMO if RGT ( our great fund raiser) had really wanted a change and if casper had urged him to do so then I believe he could have pushed the envelope and gotten a change made.

Where would the $5-6M have come from? If most of the C of C is satisfied with Jones, where would Turner and Hart find the money? Is there an untapped group of supporters willing to spend millions to change football coaches immediately? It is easy to discuss pie-in-the-sky scenarios, but how about some specifics? Would you donate a significant amount to pay for a coaching change?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby blackoutpony » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:02 pm

I'm with red on this. I don't see why you need to stuff crappy football games down their throats. Let them go to a bunch of womans volleyball games to get their points if they want.

It just reeks of desperation
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Fresno Mustang » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:09 pm

blackoutpony wrote:I'm with red on this. I don't see why you need to stuff crappy football games down their throats. Let them go to a bunch of womans volleyball games to get their points if they want.

Who cares if it reeks of desperation? Take a look at our student sections at football games in the fourth quarter, we have less students in the stands than a 2A high school team...we are desperate for attendance. Besides, give membership to the mob based on commitment. As a mob member last year that was one of the first ones to join, it was awesome to see the mob reach full capacity but a lot of students that had been there since day 1 were annoyed when people that had joined yesterday were sitting in the front row against Cal and not being loud / just wasting space to kids that had been there since Uconn or garland. Im all for seeing kids having to go to football to be able to go to basketball, get the true smu fans into the mob first and then bump membership prices up to 150$ during the basketball year for kids that didnt meet the point requirement and make some profit off it for the athletics program.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby ponyte » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:38 pm

Thank you LB. In just two short seasons you have changed attending a SMU MBB game from the desire of the insanely devoted student to the desire of the hyper insane turbo-devoted student.

One has to love it. Now students have to earn the most respected and desired seats. As it should be in a top 20 system.
ponyte

Postby coloradoStang » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:20 pm

Fresno Mustang wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:I'm with red on this. I don't see why you need to stuff crappy football games down their throats. Let them go to a bunch of womans volleyball games to get their points if they want.

Who cares if it reeks of desperation? Take a look at our student sections at football games in the fourth quarter, we have less students in the stands than a 2A high school team...we are desperate for attendance. Besides, give membership to the mob based on commitment. As a mob member last year that was one of the first ones to join, it was awesome to see the mob reach full capacity but a lot of students that had been there since day 1 were annoyed when people that had joined yesterday were sitting in the front row against Cal and not being loud / just wasting space to kids that had been there since Uconn or garland. Im all for seeing kids having to go to football to be able to go to basketball, get the true smu fans into the mob first and then bump membership prices up to 150$ during the basketball year for kids that didnt meet the point requirement and make some profit off it for the athletics program.

totally agree
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby Junior » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:22 am

i see absolutely nothing wrong with making sure that MOB members are SMU fans, not just SMU basketball fans. i find it laughable that we complain about not having kids in the stands, but when we do something to promote that exact thing, we criticize the school for it.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby couch 'em » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:35 am

Suffering breeds loyalty. That's why hazing is effective. Think of it as hazing.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby TDMustang » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:49 am

couch 'em wrote:Suffering breeds loyalty. That's why hazing is effective. Think of it as hazing.

^^^
TDMustang
Junior Varsity

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:52 am

Junior wrote:i see absolutely nothing wrong with making sure that MOB members are SMU fans, not just SMU basketball fans. i find it laughable that we complain about not having kids in the stands, but when we do something to promote that exact thing, we criticize the school for it.

I have no problem w/the rules, cause every program worth a lick, in the entire country, does it. That said, you aren't making sure MOB members are SMU fans. Possibly the exact opposite. Beyond that, who cares if they are SMU fans or just SMU hoops fans. Its irrelevant. You don't have to like football or waste an entire weekend day watching garbage football just to prove your merit. Get the kids to games, have them scan, deal w/them leaving, roll over everyone in hoops. Tweak the policy next year
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby NewAgeMustange » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:39 am

So I don't have a problem with the theory but what about the application. I'm not a student anymore but what about students that either don't have a smart phone ( I know rare) or have don't have an android/ iphone. (blackberry, amazon)? For a while I knew a couple people that used go phones because of losing their smart phones. How would the point system work for those people? Would they have to log in to a website/ borrow someone elses phone to "check in"? Or can they take the swipe from entering the football games as points (do they still do that)?

*edit* I looked at the Program Form and it says that a secondary measure of the swiping in can be used if points didn't show up on the app only, still doesn't answer my problem.*
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:57 am

Well, I know that a requirement for incoming Meadows students is to own a MacBook, so a smartphone probably isn't an uncommon possession these days. And I remember having to buy an Ethernet card for my 386 when I got on campus.
smusic 00

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:17 pm

couch 'em wrote:Suffering breeds loyalty. That's why hazing is effective. Think of it as hazing.

Good point. I'm on board now.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball