PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UConn with 2 big H&H series - Ohio St & Arizona

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UConn with 2 big H&H series - Ohio St & Arizona

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:14 pm

Good for the AAC

“@JonRothstein: UConn + Ohio St will begin a H + H series starting in CT during the 15-16 season, per release. Return game in Columbus the following year.”

“@RobDauster: Arizona and UConn to begin a home-and-home series, per a release. Starts in 17-18 in Tucson. That will be awesome.”
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: UConn with 2 big H&H series - Ohio St & Arizona

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:32 pm

Those would be some serious teams to bring in to Moody. Hopefully we continue scheduling the big name teams to home and home series. 15-16 home schedule is gonna be awesome.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:43 pm

PonyPlayer4 wrote:15-16 home schedule is gonna be awesome.

Yes

LA_Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:14 pm

PonyPlayer4 wrote:Those would be some serious teams to bring in to Moody. Hopefully we continue scheduling the big name teams to home and home series. 15-16 home schedule is gonna be awesome.

will be tough for SMU to draw big names to Moody. More realistic to ink deals that would bring top programs to AA with larger capactity
Charleston Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:52 pm

I know some here don't like the idea of having to play at AA to get a home and home against a major OOC opponent but I like it simply because it gets our guys time against real competition on what's basically a (home-slanted) neutral floor. Good prep the March Madness where the floor is neutral and the crowd isn't all there for anyone.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby OhioBrownFan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:04 pm

That will be nice. I love how I heard Ohio State news here first.... :lol:

I knew they were in the process of getting a home and home scheduled because Marquette is wrapping up this year. Hopefully UConn travels decently, Kansas was an awesome home and home because that place actually had a good atmosphere and people were excited for an OOC game. The Florida game was miserable, it wasn't even a sell-out and it was a top 10 match-up, nobody from Florida traveled and it was over Thanksgiving break.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:48 pm

You're welcome, OBF. :)

Our 2015 OOC home games (Zags, Indiana and Michigan) will be very active on the secondary market. If we do what I think we will this season, they'll easily be the hottest ticket in town.

LA_Mustang

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:37 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Our 2015 OOC home games (Zags, Indiana and Michigan) will be very active on the secondary market.

Indiana was confirmed as a one game series I thought?
Mustangs35SMU

Postby OhioBrownFan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:47 am

LA_Mustang wrote:You're welcome, OBF. :)

Our 2015 OOC home games (Zags, Indiana and Michigan) will be very active on the secondary market. If we do what I think we will this season, they'll easily be the hottest ticket in town.

To my understanding, unfortunately I believe only Gonzaga is a guaranteed return trip...
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Gonzaga is one of the few "name" programs with an arena that seats fewer than Moody, so that's a great home/home deal for us. I'd like SMU to come to the College of Charleston's Thanksgiving season tourney sometime soon. Pretty good field and a nice trip for the guys
Charleston Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Well screw me. I didn't know they weren't coming to Dallas next year. That sucks. I guess we will have to play the bigger programs at the AAC to get them to Dallas.

LA_Mustang

Postby OhioBrownFan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:57 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Well screw me. I didn't know they weren't coming to Dallas next year. That sucks. I guess we will have to play the bigger programs at the AAC to get them to Dallas.

I'm not even sure that will do it, not to be a debbie downer. I just think most programs are going to want to avoid SMU at Moody or Dallas. It's no easy win these days and not a lot to be gained for UNC or something like that. Just my two cents. Same reason nobody wants to play Zaga in Spokane.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:12 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:I'm not even sure that will do it, not to be a debbie downer. I just think most programs are going to want to avoid SMU at Moody or Dallas. It's no easy win these days and not a lot to be gained for UNC or something like that. Just my two cents. Same reason nobody wants to play Zaga in Spokane.

You're right. Our best bet is a home and home with Baylor or Texas, but Texas would probably require the game be played at the AAC.

LA_Mustang

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:00 am

LA_Mustang wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:I'm not even sure that will do it, not to be a debbie downer. I just think most programs are going to want to avoid SMU at Moody or Dallas. It's no easy win these days and not a lot to be gained for UNC or something like that. Just my two cents. Same reason nobody wants to play Zaga in Spokane.

You're right. Our best bet is a home and home with Baylor or Texas, but Texas would probably require the game be played at the AAC.

They need to do a cross-state challenge like all these other states seem to be doing. Iowa is doing it this year with like Iowa State, Iowa, Drake and someone else.

Indiana does it with IU, Purdue, Butler, and ND. A Texas challenge with Texas, Tech, Baylor and SMU would be solid for bball. Wouldn't be much work to get that at the AAC or in San Antonio/Houston, and would be very lucrative for the promoters or the underwriters on the deal. Schools split X% of the gate and the rest goes to the facility and guys putting on the show.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:08 am

OhioBrownFan wrote:They need to do a cross-state challenge like all these other states seem to be doing. Iowa is doing it this year with like Iowa State, Iowa, Drake and someone else.

Indiana does it with IU, Purdue, Butler, and ND. A Texas challenge with Texas, Tech, Baylor and SMU would be solid for bball. Wouldn't be much work to get that at the AAC or in San Antonio/Houston, and would be very lucrative for the promoters or the underwriters on the deal. Schools split X% of the gate and the rest goes to the facility and guys putting on the show.

I think it would be a very successful weekend event. Bring in eight schools - SMU, UT, Baylor, A&M, Tech, Houston, TCU and SFA. That would be a fun weekend of Texas hoops.

LA_Mustang

Next

Return to Basketball