PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mickey Mitchell de-commits from Ohio St

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mickey Mitchell de-commits from Ohio St

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:04 pm

“@BSnowScout: Well per a tweet from Mickey Mitchell, he has de-committed from Ohio State”

Not sure if it means anything for SMU.... OBF?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Mickey Mitchell de-commits from Ohio St

Postby stangsup4 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:12 pm

Would expect Tech to be the front runner but don't count us out.
stangsup4
All-American

Postby OhioBrownFan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:55 pm

Yeah, can't say I'm surprised, more surprised by the timing and that it has lasted this long. When Mike transferred, it was a foregone conclusion that Mickey wasn't going to stick at Ohio State. Then Grandstaff committed and Mickey still was in, I really thought at that point it may stick. He has for sure decommited however. I'll know more shortly...

As for schools, I'd expect Tech to be in on him big, he follows Mike and Mike was a big part of why he was going to OSU in the first place. After that, I really don't know. This is pretty fresh, but his father is still sick so I'd expect local schools to have the inside track. SMU certainly being one of them, we'll see what happens. Going to be a great get for wherever he lands. Love watching him play.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:59 pm

“@jerrymeyer247: #Bolt: Ohio State loses 4-star recruit. SMU, Baylor, Florida, Texas Tech n #Crystalball http://bit.ly/VHn9Jr @Bearstruth247 @GatorBait247”

LA_Mustang

Postby OhioBrownFan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:16 pm

I truly believe that SMU needs to land one of the blue-chippers from Dallas soon to really get some of these guys on board. There's too much talent in the DFW Metroplex not to land a couple guys.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby B1GPonyFan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:43 pm

Given Mitchell's recent health history, one has to wonder the kind of risk involved here.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:52 am

B1GPonyFan wrote:Given Mitchell's recent health history, one has to wonder the kind of risk involved here.

His recent health history is an ACL. Looked fine all summer, explosiveness was back, I'd say it's a non-issue.

FWIW LA, follow Brian if you don't already, guy knows his stuff. I actually am out with him at a quite a few tourneys, great dude, bit of a nerd. Used to work over at Buckeye Grove, Rivals affiliate for OSU. Brian covers Ohio State primarily but he sees a ton of prospects and he's pretty good at identifying talent.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby PonyKris89 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:06 am

Agree OBF.

since the late playoff appearance Mitchell made, I have been excited about his prospects. Looks good this summer.

Mitchell and Tyler Davis, anyone? I am all in!

Can't remember where, but I think I read that Davis had said he would like to decide before school starts. Dominoes could start falling...
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:30 am

PonyKris89 wrote:Agree OBF.

since the late playoff appearance Mitchell made, I have been excited about his prospects. Looks good this summer.

Mitchell and Tyler Davis, anyone? I am all in!

Can't remember where, but I think I read that Davis had said he would like to decide before school starts. Dominoes could start falling...

Davis was looking like a flat-out stud at the Peach Jam. Just stupid good, he might be getting a nice bump when the re-ranks come out....deserves it imo. But I freaking love the versatility Mitchell brings to a team and the number of line-ups you can throw at a team offensively. He does so many things that just don't show up on a stat-sheet, whether is triggering a fast-break or making a high-level entry pass over the top to exploit the weak-side defense. He's just a high IQ, good basketball player. His turnovers half the time are because he's playing on one level while the others are sitting on another level and not ready for the pass or whatever it may be.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby PonyKris89 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:00 am

you nailed it there OBF, every bit of your analysis on MM. Love his aggressiveness and leadership. He will fill the stat sheet and then some, another Matrix.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby lwjr » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:42 pm

Be great to land this kid but since his brother left Ohio State I would think he would follow him Tech? Or at least Tech has the advantage at this point. Am I wrong?
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:51 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:FWIW LA, follow Brian if you don't already, guy knows his stuff. I actually am out with him at a quite a few tourneys, great dude, bit of a nerd. Used to work over at Buckeye Grove, Rivals affiliate for OSU. Brian covers Ohio State primarily but he sees a ton of prospects and he's pretty good at identifying talent.

Thanks, will do.

LA_Mustang

Return to Basketball