PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OT: Favorite college bball teams to watch outside of SMU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OT: Favorite college bball teams to watch outside of SM

Postby ponyboy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:57 am

LA_Mustang wrote:As for not understanding how people watch other teams/games, it's called being a fan of the sport.

That's not it. I love hoops. I love college football. It's an immersive thing -- live and breathe Mustangs, really get to know the teams. Post on ponyfans 9480 times. But when we're not playing, pay a little attention to other interests such as faith, wife, kids, wine, hammocks, picking up an occasional book.

That's how it works for me anyway. Glad you've got it worked out for you.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:30 am

ponyboy wrote:That's not it. I love hoops. I love college football. It's an immersive thing -- live and breathe Mustangs, really get to know the teams. Post on ponyfans 9480 times. But when we're not playing, pay a little attention to other interests such as faith, wife, kids, wine, hammocks, picking up an occasional book.

You were the one who posted that you couldn't understand how people can care about teams other than their own?? Honestly, I'm not sure what you're trying to say in this thread - you love basketball but you only follow SMU basketball, and you don't understand why people care about other teams. Then you list your personal life resume, I have idea no why or where you're going with that, but I believe most people have very busy lives and have multiple interests. It is possible to care about/follow multiple sports teams and still have a well-rounded life.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby ponyinNC » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:52 am

Tar Heels...

...really, any ACC games.

i loathe watching B1G basketball.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:01 am

LA_Mustang wrote: It is possible to care about/follow multiple sports teams and still have a well-rounded life.

Glad you've got it worked out and glad to be wrong.
ponyboy

Postby smusportspage » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:59 pm

I will follow Syracuse a bit and Mich. St. because of Izzo. I have a special liking for UTEP BBall because of their history with the game and fan support.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:00 pm

Vandy - I love to see a smaller private that can go toe to toe with UK and those SEC teams. They had a great run a few years ago and have held onto a great coach throughout. Got to love their unique home court advantage as well (unless you are any one of the other SEC teams - and then you hate it).

Last Vandy vs. SMU hoops game - anyone? anyone?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:39 pm

VCU 40 minutes of pain is fun to watch. UVa was good last year to watch. I also liked watching some of the CAA teams, William & Mary, George Mason and Towson last year. GW is fun to watch now. DC area has lots of good hoops.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:34 pm

PonyTime wrote:Vandy - I love to see a smaller private that can go toe to toe with UK and those SEC teams. They had a great run a few years ago and have held onto a great coach throughout. Got to love their unique home court advantage as well (unless you are any one of the other SEC teams - and then you hate it).

I know we played them in my era - early 70's at Moody.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU 86 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:28 pm

It's fun to watch other teams during the season.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby mrydel » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:03 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
PonyTime wrote:Vandy - I love to see a smaller private that can go toe to toe with UK and those SEC teams. They had a great run a few years ago and have held onto a great coach throughout. Got to love their unique home court advantage as well (unless you are any one of the other SEC teams - and then you hate it).

I know we played them in my era - early 70's at Moody.

I like Vandy. My brother went there. We played them while I was there 68-72. I know we played them after that but I lost track of when.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Harry0569 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:11 pm

Half of my friend group went to VU. I would love to play them and kick the crap out of them. Stallings is starting to feel that seat warm up .
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:10 am

ponyboy wrote:
LA_Mustang wrote:As for not understanding how people watch other teams/games, it's called being a fan of the sport.

That's not it. I love hoops. I love college football. It's an immersive thing -- live and breathe Mustangs, really get to know the teams. Post on ponyfans 9480 times. But when we're not playing, pay a little attention to other interests such as faith, wife, kids, wine, hammocks, picking up an occasional book.

You are assuming (and you know what happens when you assume) everyone is married with kids. But even they are a person can still watch other teams and have a balanced like. Good grief.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:25 am

I won't speak for the unmarried masses w/o kids, but I will say its nearly impossible to have more than one team, if you're married w/kids. I can't even imagine having a college and pro football team and actually watching 8 hrs or football over two days, w/so many damn life activities. There is no way.

Two teams in hoops mean you play like 4-5 times a week. That's brutal on a wife/kids
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:40 am

Not that you have to watch another teams entire game to be a fan of multiple teams.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby CoxMustangFan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:39 am

hoopmanx wrote:I won't speak for the unmarried masses w/o kids, but I will say its nearly impossible to have more than one team, if you're married w/kids. I can't even imagine having a college and pro football team and actually watching 8 hrs or football over two days, w/so many damn life activities. There is no way.

Two teams in hoops mean you play like 4-5 times a week. That's brutal on a wife/kids

Gotta love DVR.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball