PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Yanick Has Double-Double

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Yanick Has Double-Double

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:02 pm

Senegal was crushed by Argentina, 81-46. Mohamed Faye had just 2 points and 2 rebounds, Luis Scola (Pacers) led Argentina with 22 points and 14 boards.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby friarwolf » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Good for Yannick. Sounds like his chronic knee is being managed..........
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:47 pm

friarwolf wrote:Good for Yannick. Sounds like his chronic knee is being managed..........

Who said anything about a chronic knee?
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby max the wonder dog » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:02 pm

Through four games, he is averaging 12.8 pts and 6.5 rebs in 17.5 minutes.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:25 pm

Here is a breakdown of Group D, and what Angola needs to happen for them to advance. Taken from FIBA's site:

Group D
Australia, Lithuania and Slovenia are guaranteed to fill places 1-3, while Angola, Korea and Mexico will finish somewhere between 4-6.

Slovenia: Can take first place if they defeat Lithuania or lose by eight points or less. Should they lose by more than eight points, they can finish in either second or third place.
Lithuania: Can take first place with a win over Slovenia by nine points or more. A loss will guarantee third place, while there is also a chance of finishing second with a narrow win.
Australia: Regardless of whether or not they beat Angola, their placing will rely on the result of the Slovenia-Lithuania clash. If Lithuania lose, Australia will finish second.
Mexico: A win over Korea will secure fourth place, while a narrow loss coupled with Angola losing to Australia will also guarantee a place in the Round of 16 in Barcelona.
Korea: Must beat Mexico by more than 17 points to have any chance of progressing to the Round of 16. However, that result becomes void if Angola defeat Australia.
Angola: A win over Australia will see them advance to the Round of 16 if Korea beat Mexico.

Australia is missing 2 of their best players, Patty Mills and Andrew Bogut, out with injuries, and without them the Boomers are not considered medal contenders. Still, they have a great deal of size, 5 current NBA players, and 3 more who have played in the League before. There has been some speculation that Australia would prefer to finish 3rd in group phase, to avoid having to play the US until the semi-finals, but with todays results, their seeding is out of their hands, and everything hinges on the outcome of Lithuania and Slovenia. Australia may choose to rest some players, since the outcome has no effect on their advancing. For angola to advance, Korea would also need to beat Mexico.

Australia vs Angola tips at 12:30 Madrid time, which I believe is 6:30 AM US Central time, and is available on ESPN3.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:30 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
friarwolf wrote:Good for Yannick. Sounds like his chronic knee is being managed..........

Back in february, alot of people did. My guess is that Fw is taking a jab at the people who claimed Yanicks knee was the reason he wasnt getting playing time after he came back from the injury,
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Balatro Diabolus Ex wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:

Back in february, alot of people did. My guess is that Fw is taking a jab at the people who claimed Yanicks knee was the reason he wasnt getting playing time after he came back from the injury,

I'd always heard it was a run of the mill partially torn MCL, nothing chronic. That said, I sure as hell hope his lack of time when he got back was due to being gimpy, cause if not, we mismanaged the bigs
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:18 am

Yanick got his first start of the tournament, and responded with 38 points and 15 rebounds, most of it in the 2nd half as he lead a furious Angola rally to upset Australia. The Aussies lead by 13 at the half, then went completely flat in the 2nd half, allowing Angola to come from behind and get a win they needed to keep their hopes for advancement alive.

Yanick was 17/24 from the field, and also had 1 blocked shot and 1 assist.

Olimpio Cipriano, the leading scorer for Angola in this tournament, did not play and may be injured.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:28 am

Yanicks 38 points, 15 total rebounds and 10 offensive rebounds, are the largest individual totals of the tournament. Pau Gasol of Spain had the 2nd highest scoring game with 33 against Iran. 17 field goals made is also a tournament high, and 24 field goals attempted is tied for the tournament high.

Replay of the game can be seen on ESPN3.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby Harry0569 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:40 am

Balatro Diabolus Ex wrote:Yanicks 38 points, 15 total rebounds and 10 offensive rebounds, are the largest individual totals of the tournament. Pau Gasol of Spain had the 2nd highest scoring game with 33 against Iran. 17 field goals made is also a tournament high, and 24 field goals attempted is tied for the tournament high.

Replay of the game can be seen on ESPN3.

http://www.fiba.com/basketballworldcup/ ... liavAngola
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Harry0569 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:41 am

HE WAS +45 MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDD
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby friarwolf » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:47 am

Who said anything about a chronic knee?[/quote]

Back in february, alot of people did. My guess is that Fw is taking a jab at the people who claimed Yanicks knee was the reason he wasnt getting playing time after he came back from the injury,[/quote]

I'd always heard it was a run of the mill partially torn MCL, nothing chronic. That said, I sure as hell hope his lack of time when he got back was due to being gimpy, cause if not, we mismanaged the bigs[/quote]

I am referring to last year. There was lots of folks saying he had a chronic condition with his knee. I hope it was a run of the mill injury.............
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:49 am

dear Lord Yanick....38pts. He is crushing it.
Pony ^

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:08 am

Despite 20 points and 5 rebounds from Mohamed Faye, Senegal lost to the Phillipines, giving the island nation its only win of the tournament. Senegal was already guaranteed to advance, but is still probably a little embarrassed about losing to a team whose players are mostly under 6 feet tall. The Phillipines were lead by Andre Blatche of the Brooklyn Nets, who was made a citizen of the Phillipines just so that he could play in this tournament. Its worth watching them play just to see Blatche towering over his teammates, many of whom dont come up to his shoulders.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:11 am

Question for those who know more than I...if Yanick were to provide this kind of output for SMU (or anywhere close)next year, how does this change things? Does he occupy 5 with Kennedy moving to 4 for the majority of the game? How do you see this playing out?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball