PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

On the verge of greatness

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

On the verge of greatness

Postby Hoofprint » Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:34 pm

I'm as disappointed as the rest of you with the loss to Hawaii. But I can't get over how good Patrick Simpson is going to be. He had two of the best blocks I've seen in a long time. First he chased G Mark Campbell down from behind, and slapped Campbell's shot off the glass (Campbell didn't try another shot all night), then he went up and palmed F Phil Martin's shot so cleanly that he brought Martin down with the ball. Simpson already is a major defensive presence, and he looks like he's on the cusp of becoming a major offensive threat, too. This kid is going to be a major star.
Hoofprint
All-American

Re: On the verge of greatness

Postby SMUPonyFan » Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:50 pm

Next year lineup:
PG: BHop
SG: VOC
SF: Q
PF: Simpson
C: up for grabs as usual
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Horseshoe » Sat Feb 09, 2002 6:10 pm

Actually, I see Isham and BHop starting in the backcourt, with neither being clearly defined as a shooting guard or point guard. Baoth can handle the ball, both can shoot, both can defend. And as happy as I am to see Voc get back from his knee injury, I'd rather see Brian Miller get back into the rotation. He's sevearl inches bigger than Voc, and has range at least as long as Voc's. I'm glad to have both of them.

As for the front court, I think the extra spot will be a hybrid forward/center position, with Eric Castro getting every chance to win the job. He and Simpson will be a very productive tandem before they're through.
Horseshoe
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 09, 2002 7:12 pm

Jibran Kelley and Nigel Smith are going to see a lot of playing time (along with Castro) next year. Hopefully there is a big man out there hiding somewhere and our coaching staff will find him. That last scholarship has to go to a low post player.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Kiper » Sat Feb 09, 2002 9:34 pm

Always thought Jibran Kelley has gotten a lack of respect. He's often cited by Coach Dement as the team's best interior defender, he's developed a nice outside jumper and his enthusiasm and hustle are perhaps the highest on the team. He's a quality kid and an underrated player. I like the way he goes full-speed for every second he's on the floor -- just with he got more playing time.
Kiper
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Feb 10, 2002 3:34 am

Indeed -- HE NEEDS MORE MINUTES. It's very obvious to me.
Pony_Fan

Postby GrapevineMustang » Mon Feb 11, 2002 8:51 pm

Simpson and Kelley had better be great, now that Castro is done for the year. That hurts.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby ponytalk » Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GrapevineMustang:
<B>Simpson and Kelley had better be great, now that Castro is done for the year. That hurts.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AMEN
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby DreadHead » Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:37 pm

Don't forget about my good friend Mr. Pharis. He'll be back and ready to prove something, mon.
DreadHead
Scout Team

Postby PonyTales » Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:56 pm

You're kidding, right? The guy makes Greg Kinzer look like Vince Carter in terms of athleticism.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Feb 16, 2002 4:24 pm

Pharis is a joke
Pony_Fan

Postby ponystudent » Sun Feb 17, 2002 5:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pony_Fan:
<B>Pharis is a joke</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Despite his free throw line performance, I don't think he played that bad yesterday. He looks out of shape, but he probably played 40 times his usual amount yesterday. He is slow, but he is a smart player. He has a good shot, it would be better if he got more PT. I think he took three charges and he provides us with a big body that can go outside. I think with more playing time he could develope. I also think against teams that do not run and gun, he is a decent player.
Go Ponies!
ponystudent
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball