PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tolbert sitting out this season

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tolbert sitting out this season

Postby GiddyUp » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:04 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:I think by LB redshirting him that we could be trying to make a run at the national championship in 2015. If Emelogu isn't declared eligible it may hurt this year but next year we could be loaded depending on how recruiting goes. I think we are just trying to get to the dance this year and make a little noise. Next year we go for the whole enchilada.

For someone who follow hoops the way you do, your reasoning escapes me w/consistency. LB realizes '15 recruiting isn't going the way they wanted, and they have a bird in hand. This is so calculated and predictable its scary. We return or add Nic, Sterling, Frazier, Moore, Tolbert, Emegolu, Barefield, Kennedy. That's not as good as last years team or this years team, much less a title contender. This is an effort not to be average after being good for two years, not a move to win a natty.

If you're including kids like Elijah, do yourself and ask around about that kid. The biggest local heads will tell you he's an unabashed headcase that believes his hype. That fatty thinks he's one and done.
so we are heading downhill and not uphill? Hard to keep up with bball recruiting and who we are actually in on. Need a stud at some point before LB decides to leave. Thomas does seem a bit lazy.
GiddyUp
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:24 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:
If you're including kids like Elijah, do yourself and ask around about that kid. The biggest local heads will tell you he's an unabashed headcase that believes his hype. That fatty thinks he's one and done.

Would you not want Eli on the team?

Personally, no. That said, I'll always defer to LB and crew. I've just heard he's one of the biggest head cases in DFW in years. That said, if you polled people, they'd have Frazier on that list as well.

There are lower ranked kids on the board who have far more drive, and only a slightly lessor skillset

That is encouraging. Could you name a couple that we might have a decent shot at getting?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:32 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:
Harry0569 wrote:
CoxMustangFan wrote:
My beer $ is on MK being gone. Sad, but true.

It would suck to lose MK, but if he were to jump it would hopefully mean that he balled out of control.

...or he took door number 2.

not sure what you mean by door number 2, but he's been an absolute bear to keep eligible. In fact, he was ineligible much of the Spring/Summer and it took a grade change or two to keep him on the team
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GiddyUp » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:36 pm

Oh lordie, that would totally blow to lose one of these guys to books
GiddyUp

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:39 pm

GiddyUp wrote:Oh lordie, that would totally blow to lose one of these guys to books

He came in reading at like a 5th grade level, not sure what people expect. Its always going to be a process to keep this quality of baller on the court
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Tolbert sitting out this season

Postby GiddyUp » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:42 pm

Good point, AI probably wasnt too book smart
GiddyUp

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:46 pm

Rebel10 wrote:[
That is encouraging. Could you name a couple that we might have a decent shot at getting?

I don't know about decent shot, but I'd much prefer Blackshear or Morrow, even the Christ Koumadje. Two of the 3 have motors, the other has size you can't teach, w/legit mobility. Elijah is just plain lazy, but I'm pretty sure Brown has such cache, he thinks he can get to anyone. I'm not one to doubt that, but I'd prefer some kids who grind. I'm sure they see fat Markus in fat Elijah, and say look how that turned out
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby friarwolf » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:40 am

I don't think we'll ever see Tolbert in a SMU uniform and I agree this is Kennedy's last year - Keith's, too..........
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:16 am

friarwolf wrote:I don't think we'll ever see Tolbert in a SMU uniform

Why would you say that? The young man has very good grades so he is not an academic risk. What other factors are you looking at to draw that conclusion?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonySnob » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:31 am

friarwolf wrote:I don't think we'll ever see Tolbert in a SMU uniform and I agree this is Kennedy's last year - Keith's, too..........

Guess you think Keith will be working the fast food circuit after this year.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:16 am

Rebel10 wrote:

Why would you say that? The young man has very good grades so he is not an academic risk. What other factors are you looking at to draw that conclusion?

Thats kind of the point, he'll finish his degree and wont need to stick around.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:18 am

Balatro Diabolus Ex wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

He needs a profile year, if he wants to get paid more than playing in Syria
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:25 am

He needs 60 hours to complete a degree at SMU per SMU rules so he can't technically graduate this year.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Grant Carter » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:39 am

Balatro Diabolus Ex wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

The point is he needs 60 hours to get a degree from SMU and therefore he will be here 2 years if he wants to get a degree from SMU.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:10 am

you guys listen to the party line a bunch
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball