PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tolbert sitting out this season

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tolbert sitting out this season

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:02 pm

hoopmanx wrote:you guys listen to the party line a bunch

What's your take on the situation?
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:34 pm

Rebel10 wrote:

I think LBs quotes about needing 60 hrs are window dressing. It may be true, but the bigger deal is our front court in '15-'16. His being redshirted has everything to do w/him getting more burn, and being a focal point next year, than having to do w/graduating from SMU.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Grant Carter » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:54 pm

I am not sure if this was in response to my post, but I was addressing the specific poster who said he would graduate this year before ever playing here. I understand the reasons for wanting him here next year and was hoping he would not get to play this year.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:02 pm

I don't see MK here after this coming season. I'm fearful of now losing Tolbert but I think he needs a "marquee" year as hoopman said. I was REALLY hoping to see he and MK on the floor together though.
Last edited by ojaipony on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ojaipony

Postby friarwolf » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:10 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
friarwolf wrote:I don't think we'll ever see Tolbert in a SMU uniform

Why would you say that? The young man has very good grades so he is not an academic risk. What other factors are you looking at to draw that conclusion?

I just don't see him staying around this long. We'll see and I hope I am wrong...............Hey, that's a nice rhyme......... :D
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:40 pm

Friar, where is a 6'7, undersized PF, going?
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:30 pm

Grant Carter wrote:

I am not sure if this was in response to my post, but I was addressing the specific poster who said he would graduate this year before ever playing here. I understand the reasons for wanting him here next year and was hoping he would not get to play this year.

It was probably direct more at me.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:31 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

I think LBs quotes about needing 60 hrs are window dressing. It may be true, but the bigger deal is our front court in '15-'16. His being redshirted has everything to do w/him getting more burn, and being a focal point next year, than having to do w/graduating from SMU.

I see what you are saying and I have to admit that looking at the situation we do need him more next year than this year.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby OhioBrownFan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:25 am

I agree with Hoopman 100%. There's a standard of quality that is going to be set between last year and this year. Need to feather the drop a bit, when you start doubling ticket prices and expectations, you expect the product to do the same. SMU isn't cashing in on the DFW talent in this 2015 class at the moment, I don't see anyone that I would even consider SMU among the favorites to land. Without replacing what they're losing, LB is buying himself another year of being good to hopefully restock in the next cycle.

Don't get me wrong, I think LB is going to land some fine players in 2015, but not players that can replace what is outgoing. The 2015-16 year will have to be a good team in order to show recruits that this is here to stay and pull in the 2016 crop as well as keep the fans happy as they see the price of attendance continue to rise.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby friarwolf » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:00 am

hoopmanx wrote:Friar, where is a 6'7, undersized PF, going?

Its just a long time with a lot of classes in between to have to get through to get to play again.........
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby B1GPonyFan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:01 am

OhioBrownFan wrote: SMU isn't cashing in on the DFW talent in this 2015 class at the moment, I don't see anyone that I would even consider SMU among the favorites to land..

The first part I agree with. On the second, you want to re-evaluate that.
B1GPonyFan
Varsity

Postby ojaipony » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:18 am

Why wouldn't we be very good next year, even with JUST the pieces we have now? (I'm assuming the front court losses is what everyone is referring to - Yanick and MK).

We will still have next year MOST LIKELY:

Nic (will he leave after this coming season?)
Ben Moore (I expect a monster year by then)
Sterling
Sed
Ben E
Tolbert

Add just 1-2 quality front court players (Baptiste?) and I like it. Don't get me wrong, I was REALLY bummed about Hogg and Davis (not sure what's going on, why they passed on SMU, but I still see us being a top 25 type team with that line up).
ojaipony

Postby OhioBrownFan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:09 pm

ojaipony wrote:Why wouldn't we be very good next year, even with JUST the pieces we have now? (I'm assuming the front court losses is what everyone is referring to - Yanick and MK).

We will still have next year MOST LIKELY:

Nic (will he leave after this coming season?)
Ben Moore (I expect a monster year by then)
Sterling
Sed
Ben E
Tolbert

Add just 1-2 quality front court players (Baptiste?) and I like it. Don't get me wrong, I was REALLY bummed about Hogg and Davis (not sure what's going on, why they passed on SMU, but I still see us being a top 25 type team with that line up).

Yanick and MK are going to be huge pieces this year. You don't replace an all-conference caliber player in Kennedy and not have a drop-off, just reality. He may not even be all-conference, he may be the conference POY. He became a very good basketball player over the course of last season. And Yanick is going too, thins the front line out a good amount, and he's having a huge sumer. Fully expect him to get his rotation spot back if not even get his starting spot back. Kid's good.

It's not as if SMU is going to all of a sudden be a lot worse, but front-court is going to seriously suffer those losses. Any team would.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:28 pm

So I have read the rumor mills saying that Kennedy may not be eligible and Yanick may not come back to school. How do we look then.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:42 pm

mrydel wrote:So I have read the rumor mills saying that Kennedy may not be eligible and Yanick may not come back to school. How do we look then.

Is your rumor mill Ponyfans?
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball