PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Completely OT: Need an opinion...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Completely OT: Need an opinion...

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:50 am

Where does the B10 rank in terms of football and basketball? I need something from an outsider, I'm about done listening to ESPiN turn everything into SEC everything...looking for unbiased and honest opinions on where the conference ranks. Sorry for bringing it to an SMU bball message board.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Re: Completely OT: Need an opinion...

Postby ponyboy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:43 am

B10 ended up tops in basketball per Sagarin. SEC was slightly above the AAC at six.

The top conference in football last year overall was actually the PAC 12. SEC second, Big 12, then B10. AAC was of course six.

All this is per Sagarin.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:55 am

Looking at multiple years...

I'd put the Big Ten at 1A in hoops along with the ACC. In football:

1) SEC
2) PAC
3a) B1G
3b) B12
5) ACC
6) AAC
7) MWC
8a) MACtion
8b) CUSA
10) Sun Belt
CalallenStang

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:44 am

I'd say 2 in hoops, maybe 2nd or 3rd in football
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Harry0569 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:03 am

OhioBrownFan wrote:Where does the B10 rank in terms of football and basketball? I need something from an outsider, I'm about done listening to ESPiN turn everything into SEC everything...looking for unbiased and honest opinions on where the conference ranks. Sorry for bringing it to an SMU bball message board.

SEC is #1 in everything. I love throwing out that the B10 hasn't won a NC in FB/BB since OSU in 2002.

Case Closed. Roll Tide.

In all seriousness, I'd say 3rd in Football (behind SEC and Pac-12) and 2nd in Basketball behind the ACC.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby Harry0569 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:07 am

CalallenStang wrote:Looking at multiple years...

I'd put the Big Ten at 1A in hoops along with the ACC. In football:

1) SEC
2) PAC
3a) B1G
3b) B12
5) ACC
6) AAC
7) MWC
8a) MACtion
8b) CUSA
10) Sun Belt

God Bless MACtion

"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby ponyfan37 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:46 am

Probably first in basketball with ACC and Big 12 not far behind.

In football
1. SEC
2. PAC 12
3. Big 12
4. Big 10
5. ACC

I think there's a decent gap between the Big 12 and Big 10, but that's just me.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:03 am

Hoops
1. ACC
2. BIG
3. Big XII
4. Pac 12
5. AAC
6. SEC

Football
1. SEC
2. Pac 12
3. BIG
3. Big XII
5. ACC
6. AAC
mustangxc

Postby Stallion » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:33 am

Big 10 is no better than 4th in Football-and its been that way for a long time. Their atrocious Bowl performance over the last decade and beyond says it all
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:44 am

Okay. At least I'm not the only one then. I think the SEC is very good in football at the top, but as Oklahoma proved last year, it's not like nobody can play with them. It took a complete choke job by Wisky to lose to LSU at what was essentially a home game for LSU yet ESPiN makes it sound like LSU is some great team and just had an off night while Wisconsin played out of their minds which I don't think is the case at all. And yeah, I understand ESPN has a major investment in the SEC.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby Harry0569 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:22 am

Stallion wrote:Big 10 is no better than 4th in Football-and its been that way for a long time. Their atrocious Bowl performance over the last decade and beyond says it all

...not to mention that they haven't won a NC since I was in 9th grade.

Run, Run, Pass, Punt ALL DAY BABY.

I can never move to the Midwest because I just can't stand the B10. Sorry OBF.
Harry0569

Postby leopold » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:26 am

The Big 10 has a claim to being the best basketball conference. They have fallen behind as a football conference compared to the others, and I think it has to do with things like location, weather, culture, budget, and academics.

As far as money and 'investment' is concerned, I think that is balony. If it was all about money it would have been the Big 10 as the dominant conference - they are by far and away the financially most successful, and that was before they had a direct line into NY, Washington, Trenton, and Baltimore.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:43 am

If you go to Rivals right now 9 out of top 10 recruiting teams are from the South or warm weather locations.

The SEC is so far ahead of every other conference in talent that there is no argument for any other conference. The only reason it is not a bigger rout every year is because the top players in the SEC apply for the NFL Undergraduate Draft every year which brings the SEC slightly back toward the pack. Alabama has to rebuild every year kind of like a Kentucky every year in BB

The Big 10 is simply too far down the talent level as a league to compete nationally. Urban Meyer at Ohio St. understands this and now is extending his recruiting search into the South.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby CoxMustangFan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:11 am

Stallion wrote:Alabama has to rebuild every year kind of like a Kentucky every year in BB

Can you really say it's the same? Having kids for three years is very different than only having them for one.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby OhioBrownFan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:32 pm

Harry0569 wrote:
Stallion wrote:Big 10 is no better than 4th in Football-and its been that way for a long time. Their atrocious Bowl performance over the last decade and beyond says it all

...not to mention that they haven't won a NC since I was in 9th grade.

Run, Run, Pass, Punt ALL DAY BABY.

I can never move to the Midwest because I just can't stand the B10. Sorry OBF.

Hey no worries. I should've directed this thread towards the rest of college football, not just the B10. I'm more just sick of hearing how the SEC is so much better than top teams from other conference when I think Oklahoma, Stanford, Ohio State, Florida State, Oregon ect would probably beat the top teams from the SEC very consistently. And considering Wisconsin completely outplayed LSU for 3 quarters while overhauling their roster and have a dogshyt QB start his first collegiate game, I don't think the SEC is anywhere near what it's made out to be. LSU couldn't run the ball on a "slow" B10 team that just replaced their defensive front 7...

For anyone interested, I think this is a great article that somewhat explains why the SEC is so great every year.

http://www.thepostgame.com/commentary/201208/better-without-em-northern-manifesto-southern-secession-chuck-thompson-sec-bcs

http://www.thepostgame.com/commentary/2 ... on-sec-bcs

I'm interested to hear your guys thoughts and whether there is any truth to it.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball