PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dement

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Dement

Postby PonyTales » Mon Feb 25, 2002 2:54 pm

Coach D had some .... curious substitutions against Fresno.

We're down seven points with 15 seconds (or so) remaining, and he puts in Billy Pharis? Was he throwing in the towel already?

I like the fact that Forinash played as much as he did - he played great. But why did Nigel Smith play as much as he did? Where was Jibran Kelley? All year, Dement has said that Jibran is our best interior defender, and our quickest big man. Forinash did a nice job banging around with Ely, but when Big Jon got tired, or got in foul trouble, why not go with Jibran? Ely's a great player, but he's not going to overpower anyone. Jibran is plenty strong to bang with him, and is our best hope to stay with him on quickness. Jibran definitely should have played more.

With Q struggling from the floor, Dement should have called more plays for Kris Lowe. He's never going to put up 30 points, but he's a solid shooter, and Q just didn't have the stroke going. You can't take Q off the floor because he's a strong ball handler and a brilliant defender, and a very underrated rebounder. But Kris Lowe should have gotten more touches, and more screens set for him to get some shots.
PonyTales
Heisman

Re: Dement

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:14 pm

my opinion: Pharis is another 3 pt shooter, and the game was down to making threes and quick fouls.

Why Jibran didn't get more minutes? Maybe "senior" night had Dement giving most minutes to Forinash & Niemi?? They did pretty well.

As for the Q comment, I agree that in a game of high intensity, I'd like to see all our guys get more rest through substitutions. Ideally, nobody should have to go more than 30-32 minutes. Next year we should have the depth to play that way. Q is a much better player (as most are) when not tired.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball