PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dement

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Dement

Postby PonyGirl » Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:13 pm

Would a first-round WAC loss mean Coach D's job is in jeapoardy?
PonyGirl
Varsity

Re: Dement

Postby TheSkelf » Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:40 pm

No. I think Copeland is committed to Dement. No pun intended. Granted, 3 years of 1 and out in the WAC tourny would be bad, but Dement still has a few more years on his contract. Also, we can't afford to pay out Dement's contract. The Commitment does not allow for an extra couple hundred K to pay out a contract and sign a new coach. Dement is here to stay, which I like, and I know all.
....and yes, crap is my favorite word.
TheSkelf
Recruit

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:10 pm

I am afraid the SKelf is correct. I think we are stuck with Dement for a while..

a) they can't afford to buy his contract
b) who the heck would replace him and coach at SMU?
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BoazHoes » Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:45 pm

Surely you didn't ask that question did you??? There are thousands of quality coaches that would love to coach a D-1 program. Your living in a dream world if you think SMU will ever get any proven coach in any sport. SMU is a stepping stone for coaches on their way to the top. Schools like SMU can make or break a coaches career. Caven was a bust for us. Franchine at TCU was a success and thats why he is where he is today. We are in the middle of the road my friends. For every successful coach you'd "like to have" there was already a SMU he went through.
BoazHoes
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Mar 07, 2002 10:09 pm

Your post makes ZERO sense ..Sure there are plenty of coaches wanting to coach a D1 school. But here? Why? A) We can't pay a high profile coach. B) Budget stinks C) no fan support D)no local media support E) terrible Alums - Stepping Stone..? Besides Bliss ..gimme a name. Just 1 name...
Pony_Fan

Postby BoazHoes » Sat Mar 09, 2002 3:17 pm

Obviously I need to explian this on a 5th grade level for pony-talk to understand.... A)My point exactly...established coaches already had "their" SMU they went through. Why would they drop back down. B) Agreed C) Why support a program that stinks this bad D) Not necessarily, the media reports it like it is. E)Yourself included.
BoazHoes
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:16 pm

5th grade level..haa haa. Your 1st post made no sense the way you wrote it MR R.A. from Boaz. Bad Alum? Gimme a break ..I went to every single bball game the last 5 years almost....tell me I am a bad alum..whatever.

I put myself thru misery watching this pathetic, stagnant offense every year. Dement needs to be replace if he doesnt produce next year. I am sick of the "next year" syndrome.
Pony_Fan

Postby 50's PONY » Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:41 pm

For all of you people who don't think there is any money to buy out a coach's contract -- just ask yourselves where you think the money came from to buy out Cavan's contract. If the right people want a coach gone -- there is $$$$$$$$!
50's PONY
Heisman

Return to Basketball