PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

RPI Rankings

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

RPI Rankings

Postby BoazHoes » Sun Mar 10, 2002 8:50 pm

This is an interesting post found on the other board, it is by no means my opinion but I wanted to share it with those of you who haven't seen it, or those who don't visit the other board...
"After a relaxing day at the beach, thought I’d re-look at SMU’s BB record over the past 4 years based on our opponents RPI rankings. It isn’t pretty. First off, can anyone name the 3rd highest RPI-rated opponent we defeated this year?

Here are my findings. Over the past 4 years, our record is 67 – 48. Of our 67 victories, an astounding 43% came from opponents who had RPI rankings OVER 200, or in the case of 3 opponents, were not Division I and therefore had no ranking. During this season (2002) the average RPI of teams we defeated was 166. In 2001 it was 178, in 2000 it was 165 and in the year 1999 it was 160. That means for the last 4 years, the average RPI of teams we have defeated was 168 (excluding our 3 non-Division I victories).

Over the past 4 years, our record against teams going to the big dance is 4 – 20. This includes our 2 victories over Fresno State in 2000 (their RPI ranking was 25), a victory over Hawaii in 2001 (their RPI ranking was 55) and a victory over Lamar in 2000 (Lamar’s was 15-15 with an RPI ranking of 179, but they won the Southland Conference tournament). It also assumes that Tulsa, Hawaii, Texas Tech and Iowa make it this year (Iowa may be a reach).

Finally, the 3rd highest RPI-rated opponent we defeated this year was LaSalle. Their RPI ranking was 144.

I am not advocating the removal of Dement, far from it, but these are still interesting facts that shouldn’t be ignored."

[This message has been edited by BoazHoes (edited 03-11-2002).]
BoazHoes
Varsity

Re: RPI Rankings

Postby PK » Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:12 pm

Hey BH...if you are going to use someone else's material, you ought to give credit for where it came from. I really don't think you are the original author of the message you just posted...are you? Ever heard of plagiarism? It's not a pretty picture.

While I'm at it I will repeat the response I posted to the original of your(?) post on the MM board:

I understand that a win is a win and a loss is a loss, but what your stats do not show is how close we played the majority of the better ranked teams we played this year as well as other years. It is obviously a hurdle we have yet to get over....hanging on to a second half lead or pulling one out at the end, but we have been in striking distance of a big win many times and let it slip through our fingers. The need for a GOOD big man goes without saying, but our team needs to learn to deal with pressure better and get our shooting percentages up. You can't beat the really good teams shooting less than 40%....it just ain't gonna happen. Maybe it is insuffiecent conditioning, but the team just seems to run out of steam by the end of the game.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 03-10-2002).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BoazHoes » Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:39 pm

I am pretty sure I addressed the plagerism issue by letting all know I did not write that post, I assumed loyal ponfans.com would be interested in a great post from the MM.

In responce to your comments that tells me we are not competing. Coming close means very little. If you were a member of a ranked team and SMU was coming to town do you think you would be playing your best??....I don't think so.

Dement has beaten the teams we were supposed to beat most of the time, But has never won a big game at SMU. At the end of every season I try to assess how many 'quality opponents' we have beaten that year, and the answer is almost always ZERO.

Just for the record, Dement is 1-9 vs TCU in the Tubbs era, and we had better athletes in a number of those contests.

[This message has been edited by BoazHoes (edited 03-11-2002).]
BoazHoes
Varsity

Postby PK » Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:52 pm

The only 100% brainchild of your's today is to steal other peoples posts and claim them as your own. You have now ripped off SoCalPony and Diehard Pony from the other board. You will never convince me you are either of those gentlemen as the usual drivel you post on this board dosen't come close to the quality of the post made by the afore mentioned posters on MM.com.

once again I must now repeat my response on the other board to keep this thread balanced:

...coming close DOES mean you are competing....getting blown out means you are not competing. B-ball is a team sport, one or two guys trying to do it all by themselves is not going to cut it. That has hurt us in the close games when our 'stars' have decided only they can win it and stop playing as a team or in some instances start 'showboating' it because we are ahead and then wind up turning it over.

As for TC and U, according to Stallion they are always obviously better because they use JC transfers and we don't. So which is it....who has had the better athletes??

Go back to harrassing Rogers BH...that suits you better.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby BoazHoes » Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:29 am

PK you are so random, can you not read?
BoazHoes
Varsity

Postby PK » Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BoazHoes:
<B>PK you are so random, can you not read? </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're cute BH...interesting how all of your post were edited the day after they were originally posted. You will go far in life no doubt...NOT.

Now go away. You're bothering me kid.
PK

Return to Basketball