PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Recruit

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Recruit

Postby BoazHoes » Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:49 pm

Have you heard SMU is getting a Bad-Ass basketball stud from Houston next year... Scott Gordon, he is 6'5 and a force to reckon with. He graduated high school in '94 and has been playing on the club level and some street ball for the past 8 years. You may remember him honing his skills as a member of the Intramural Champion Phi Delta Theta team in 97' featuring Drew Evens, Brett Heterwick, Brandon "snacks" Myers, Scott Gordon, and Brent Grider. Or as I like to call them.....the Fab Five! Hey Dement your job is in good hands now!!! Long Live Pike!

GO PonIKEs
BoazHoes
Varsity

Re: New Recruit

Postby PX » Sat Mar 30, 2002 4:37 am

Thats cute, but if this guy has been out of high school for 8 years, and he was enrolled 5 years ago, you need to explain why his eligibility clock hasnt expired. What is he, 26 or 27 by now? Unless he's been in the military or on a Mormon Church mission all this time, he cant play D1 ball anymore.
PX
Varsity

Postby BoazHoes » Sat Mar 30, 2002 3:24 pm

I am not sure what the NCAA rules are on this! I am under the impression that your "clock" starts the day you enter as a full time student to a university. Scott was never a full-time student, he went to school part time while he was trying to make it in the Professional Bowling Association.
Go PonIKEs

[This message has been edited by BoazHoes (edited 03-31-2002).]
BoazHoes
Varsity

Postby PX » Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:50 pm

I played football for SMU from 1982-86. When I was in school the eligibility clock started ticking the day you took your first class, not the start of practice. Once you started scchool you had 5 years to complete 5 seassons of eligibility. Military service and religious obligations were the only exceptions to the rule. People with major injuries that cost them more than one season of competition could petition to have another year reinstated. If the NCAA rules have changed since then, I'm wrong, but I'm going to have to either see it in writing or hear it from someone other than you.

By the waay, I dont remember, what sport do you play?
PX
Varsity

Postby PX » Sat Mar 30, 2002 6:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BoazHoes:
<B>Thats even cuter but your wrong, your "clock" starts ticking the day you participate in any NCAA sanctioned sport. I guess you weren't a student-athlete b/c you'd have known this for the NCAA makes you very aware of this.....once you practice with the a team your "clock" starts. i.e. Chris Weikne</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

=======================================

NCAA bylaw 14.2.1, available on their website at <A HREF="http://WWW.NCAA.Org:" TARGET=_blank>WWW.NCAA.Org:</A>

A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation within five calendar years from the beginning of the semester or quarter in which the student-athlete first registered for a minimum full-time program of studies in a collegiate institution, with time spent in the armed services, on official church missions or with recognized foreign aid services of the U.S. government being excepted. For foreign students, service in the armed forces or on an official church mission of the student’s home country is considered equivalent to such service in the United States.

Key phrases here, "within 5 calendar years," and "registered for full-time program of studies" No mention made anywhere about having to practice with the team. Since your pal must have been a full time student to play intramurals in 1997, his 5 years have already run out. There are other rules that apply to athletes over 21, and I think your buddy wouldnt get past those, either, even if the 5 year rule didnt apply.

I guess you weren't a student-athlete b/c you'd have known this for the NCAA makes you very aware of this.
PX
Varsity

Postby D » Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:53 pm

I'm looking forward to Scott coming back. I heard he has been in serious training with Coach Lewis down at Baylor honing his skills for the next level. I expect him to be able to light it up from outside and really dominate on the smaller guards - dunking on them at will (like he has always done).
By the way, I am kind of disappointed I didn't get included in that fab five list having been a member of several intramural teams with Scott.
D
Varsity

Postby BoazHoes » Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:11 am

Your right I should not have left you out Quincy Adams! You had the skills of Scott Eckert and you truely were amazing. Paul Hugg also did an awesome job stepping in, especially when that guy from Nebraska almost got PDT kicked out of the game against IFC. Life is a lot like Basketball... the arena is a square with rounded corners with white diagnal bars across it bearing the greek word Funkinhouser. AKA "MOM" is that you?

Lets not forget the thunder and lightning tandom off the bench Tommy Greer and Temple Brown, they were the best of friends and played B-Ball with the chemistry of Brian DeVoss and Kyle Camilier.

GO PONIES
GO PIKE
GO PonIKEs

We are soldier's! PIKE INTRAMURAL CHAMPS!!!
BoazHoes
Varsity

Postby Eddie P » Tue Apr 02, 2002 1:44 pm

Greer and Temple probably developed that chemistry by spending their freshmen year on the most chaotic dorm floor in the history of SMU: McGinnis 4th floor. Evil things occured there...It's was kind of like that movie, "Event Horizon"

Return to Basketball