PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jimmy Tubbs

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jimmy Tubbs

Postby PK » Mon May 13, 2002 2:14 pm

A post on the other site says Tubbs is accepting a position at OU. Anyone know if this is true and if so, how badly will this affect our team and future recruiting?
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Jimmy Tubbs

Postby PonyPride » Mon May 13, 2002 6:37 pm

From the Dallas Morning News' Rick Alonzo:

SMU assistant Tubbs takes OU job
05/13/2002
By RICK ALONZO / The Dallas Morning News

Longtime SMU assistant men's basketball coach Jimmy Tubbs has accepted a similar position at Oklahoma, Mustangs head coach Mike Dement said Monday.

Tubbs, who spent the last 12 years at SMU, will be an assistant on OU coach Kelvin Sampson's staff.

Before joining the Mustangs, Tubbs coached at Kimball High School for eight years, producing a 232-42 record. He led Kimball to the Class 5A state championship in his final season in 1989-90.

Tubbs had interviewed for head coaching positions at Southwest Texas State in 2000 and North Texas in 2001.

An opening was created at Oklahoma when Ray Lopes was named head coach at Fresno State on April 3.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby The Q » Wed May 15, 2002 2:31 pm

Any rumors about who might replace him?
The Q
Varsity

Postby Guest » Fri May 17, 2002 7:07 pm

It's too bad to lose Coach Tubbs. Everyone knows he's a great recruiter, but he's also a really good Xs-and-Os coach. He'll be missed.

Postby PX » Mon May 20, 2002 12:29 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Q:
<B>Any rumors about who might replace him?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only name I've heard so far is Darren Tillis. Coach Tillis is a former NBA player who was the Restricted Earnings coach here in Shumates final season. Since then he has had stints at Clemson and Wyoming. I dont know which spot he is being considered for (remember that we also need to replace Simon Cote) or if he will be offered a job. I just heard he was going to interview.
PX
Varsity

Postby DallasDiehard » Sat Jun 08, 2002 6:06 pm

I heard Dement is making a hard push to get the head coach from Lincoln to replace Tubbs as assistant coach. Think of the recruiting connections that would bring!
Any truth to the rumor?
Too bad we didn't get him this year - maybe we could have gotten that Chris Bosh kid (center) to go along with the Hopkins brothers.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Rambo » Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:15 pm

I have seen that coach from lincoln a few times. I don't really understand why his teams are so good. I was not impressed at all. I guess he had to do something right. It would be another great recruiting tool for the Pones. It would help with Hop's situation too. I know that he wasn't too happy that Tubbs left. None of us were, but he deserved to move up.
Viva Ponyball!!!!!
Rambo
Junior Varsity

Postby Corso » Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:21 pm

That's true - give me a team with the Hopkins brothers and that Bosh guy in the middle, and I think I could win a few games, too. But to go 40-0 (or whatever their record was) suggests that he must know something about the game. And that there's more talent on the roster. I hear they had two 10th graders this year who look like major studs. Maybe we need to hire him now and get him recruiting those kids.

We've got three assistant coach spots to fill according to PX - it's worth giving him one of them for recruiting purposes alone. Any teaching he can do would be a bonus.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby 50's PONY » Sun Jun 09, 2002 7:12 pm

Wrong on all counts!
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby PK » Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 50's PONY:
<B>Wrong on all counts!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would you care to be a bit more specific? Would like to hear your take on all of this.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Return to Basketball