PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Damon Hancock

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Damon Hancock

Postby Red+BlueDude » Mon May 20, 2002 10:48 am

I'm putting in my plea now for Washington to draft Damon Hancock (or sign him as a free agent). Yes, I'm biased, because I'm an SMU alum. But Washington would be the perfect fit for him. The Wizards' point guards are tiny (Tyronn Lue is 5-10, 180, Chris Whitney is maybe 6-0, 190.) Damon is a big guard (6-4, 205), strong enough to defend bigger guards and quick enough to stay with the little guys. He doesn't need to score a lot, because Jordan (assuming he comes back) will still crank 40 shots a game, and Richard Hamilton and Courtney Alexander need their shots. Kwame Brown will learn to play one of these days, and the others (Christian Laettner, Jahidi White, Brendan Haywood, etc) will help carry the load. With Washington, Hancock's role would consist of playing defense, driving to the rim and rebounding. He wouldn't be counted on for extensive perimeter scoring. He needs to end up in D.C.
Red+BlueDude
Varsity

Re: Damon Hancock

Postby Jim Rome » Mon May 20, 2002 10:58 am

The first Mock Draft I've seen doesn't have Damon getting selected. But props to you, Red+Blue, for calling for your team (you really admit to being a Wizards' fan?) to draft a fine Mustang.
I'm a Pony, and I'm a PonyFan!
Jim Rome
Junior Varsity

Re: Damon Hancock

Postby whatasteve » Mon May 20, 2002 2:27 pm

I've got to agree with Red+BlueDude. As PerunaPunch has told everyone, I also hail from the East Coast, and I admit to also being a Washington Wizards loyalist (since the Elvin Hayes/Wes Unseld/Greg Ballard/Kevin Porter/Kevin Grevey/Mitch Kupchak/Bobby Dabdridge days), as painful as that is to admit.

And I agree, Damon would be a great fit in Washington. Their guards are small and pretty soft, and he would be a huge help in matchups against the bigger point guards out there today. (Next season, watch Tyronn Lue trying to guard Jason Kidd - it ain't pretty.) It's true that he wouldn't be asked to score a lot, but he could be a huge help on defense and with rebounding. He could make easily make that roster. Unless Err Jordan (don't get me started on that) pulls the plug on such a deal.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball