PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hancock

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Hancock

Postby ShanDtheMan » Tue May 28, 2002 11:33 am

I saw a mock draft over the weekend that had Damon Hancock going to the New Jersey Nets in the second round, with the 54th overall pick.
Good luck, Damon!
ShanDtheMan
Scout Team

Re: Hancock

Postby WildHorse » Tue May 28, 2002 6:20 pm

Jersey would be a great place for Hancock. (Not that Jersey is a great place at all, but that's a different argument.) He's a similar player to Jason Kidd. Same size (minus a few pounds), same quickness, same defensive ability, same struggles as a consistent outside shooter - but because Kidd is the team's best player, they run a system in which the point guard isn't asked to score too much. Besides, there's talk that Kidd wants out of N.J., and if he leaves, they're going to be desperate for point guard help. With a little more strength and a more consistent outside shot, Damon could do really well with the Nets.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby PK » Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:42 pm

According to a post on the other site by Dooby, Hancock is going to sign with the Mavericks as an unrestricted free agent. That's a great deal for Damon....hope it works out for him.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponytalk » Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:34 pm

there is a news link on the home page about that.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby PonyExpress » Sun Jun 30, 2002 5:25 pm

Congratulations to Hancock for signing with the Mavericks. I hope he makes the team, and I just wish I still lived in Dallas so I could come watch him play. Maybe I'll get down there at the end of the football season, and can watch SMU football, SMU soccer, and a Mavs game while I'm in town.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyFan » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:53 am

Look at the Mavericks' guards:
Steve Nash
Nick Van Exel
Avery Johnson
Michael Finley
Greg Buckner
Adrian Griffin (also plays small forward)

Can Hancock crack that group? Or would they have to trade one to free up a spot for him? There's talk of trading Van Exel to New York for Kurt Thomas, but in an effort to make the traded salaries match (an NBA requirement), the Knicks would throw in Charlie Ward - meaning the logjam in the backcourt wouldn't be alleviated at all.
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Return to Basketball