PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Saw LB and Recruits out tonight

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Saw LB and Recruits out tonight

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:11 am

or it just reinforces that SMU is a basketball school and that you will be the center of attention
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:32 am

Ponyscott - basketball guys don't talk to anyone who cares about football. It would be nice to have decent football, but is number 100 on their list of concerns.
gostangs

Postby ponyscott » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:15 am

gostangs wrote:Ponyscott - basketball guys don't talk to anyone who cares about football. It would be nice to have decent football, but is number 100 on their list of concerns.

BS--It does come up---and subconsciously it affects decisions, as winners are attracted to winners and no one wants to answer questions about how horribly [deleted] the football team and is a national laughing stock.

Maybe it will reinforce that SMU is a basketball school now... :oops:
ponyscott

Postby couch 'em » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:49 am

We can only hope that the football boosters have been so shamed by this incident, and even more so the success of the bball boosters, that they will do what needs to be done.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:53 am

i don't think the football team's performance matters much at all to bball recruits, what does matter is seeing our stadium overrun with Aggies. May not effect Gilder much because he has been to multiple games at Moody i think, but someone like Blackshear may have a hard time ignoring that. they had to be impressed by the Blvd though and the food at Al Beirnats.
Hoop Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:21 am

Hoop Fan wrote:i don't think the football team's performance matters much at all to bball recruits, what does matter is seeing our stadium overrun with Aggies. May not effect Gilder much because he has been to multiple games at Moody i think, but someone like Blackshear may have a hard time ignoring that. they had to be impressed by the Blvd though and the food at Al Beirnats.

I agree. I think the gameday scene is more important than the actual outcome. Although, when you're as bad as we are it can't help. Terrible football doesn't hurt Kansas bball recruiting but I'm sure they have decent attendance for football games, and a great gameday scene.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:32 am

LA_Mustang wrote:
Hoop Fan wrote:i don't think the football team's performance matters much at all to bball recruits, what does matter is seeing our stadium overrun with Aggies. May not effect Gilder much because he has been to multiple games at Moody i think, but someone like Blackshear may have a hard time ignoring that. they had to be impressed by the Blvd though and the food at Al Beirnats.

I agree. I think the gameday scene is more important than the actual outcome. Although, when you're as bad as we are it can't help. Terrible football doesn't hurt Kansas bball recruiting but I'm sure they have decent attendance for football games, and a great gameday scene.

Kansas is not a great example. Kansas fans are insufferable when it comes to support of football, and the game day experience at SMU is better. Biggest hurdle with KU is they're right in the middle of a campaign to drive the endowment to $2B and the only thing that will get fans excited is an announcement of a $200m+ reno/re-build. The more realistic approach for KU is to do what KSU has done and complete upgrades in stages. Upgrades in stages just don't get fans excited.

To your point though, I've never heard of a single recruit say KU's football struggles are a factor in his decision to attend KU. Ever.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony ^ » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:47 pm

legit. thanks for sharing
Pony ^

Postby PonyKris89 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:49 am

hoopmand wrote:...We haven't missed on anyone we led for.

Looking at it from that angle is very June Jonesian if you ask me...

We do need to start building some momentum again, and commits from the DFW hotbed is what we really need longterm, lock up DFW and you will always be relevant. No time like the present, but to this point, no commits from here other than McQuaid who then opened his recruitment back up.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:53 am

PonyKris89 wrote:

I agree. I have seen hoopmanx make that statement a couple of times, and it always confuses me. So as long as we are never in the lead for someone it is not bad if we do not get them? By that logic we could never get anyone but it is ok because we never lost anyone we were in the lead for.

Also, how were we not in the lead for mcquaid at any point? He committed here.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:49 pm

PonyKris89 wrote:

We do need to start building some momentum again, and commits from the DFW hotbed is what we really need longterm, lock up DFW and you will always be relevant. No time like the present, but to this point, no commits from here other than McQuaid who then opened his recruitment back up.

No, you need perspective on how mid sized, semi-elite, private programs, build. Very few, if any, rely on their backyard. That's a football concept that means nothing w
/a staff like we have.

Also, we never led for mcquaid. We came out of nowhere and got a verbal. Creighton was always considered the clubhouse leader there
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:20 pm

So you are saying we were not in the lead for mcquaid while he was committed to us. Makes sense.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:17 pm

Grant Carter wrote:So you are saying we were not in the lead for mcquaid while he was committed to us. Makes sense.

I'm saying its irrelevant cause we recruited over the kid before he even signed his LOI. I'm also saying you guys are naive as to how mid-sized private programs are built. Take a look around in places not called Texas. Look at rosters, how many in state kids do you see? How many are located in the same city/town as the school etc? You have to take a different approach. We're doing just fine.

Its freaking amazing anyone would see McQuaid as a loss/negative when we literally grabbed a 3 year starter at his same position in the same cycle.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Harry0569 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:18 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
Grant Carter wrote:So you are saying we were not in the lead for mcquaid while he was committed to us. Makes sense.

I'm saying its irrelevant cause we recruited over the kid before he even signed his LOI. I'm also saying you guys are naive as to how mid-sized private programs are built. Take a look around in places not called Texas. Look at rosters, how many in state kids do you see? How many are located in the same city/town as the school etc? You have to take a different approach. We're doing just fine.

Its freaking amazing anyone would see McQuaid as a loss/negative when we literally grabbed a 3 year starter at his same position in the same cycle.

who not to mention performed at a high level in the ACC
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:32 pm

hoopmanx wrote:

See if you can find where I said I was not happy with the trade of mcquaid for Emelogu. You won't find it.

My point is you keep saying we have not missed on anyone we were in the lead for, which is silly on two fronts.

One, we had a commit who decommitted. We were obviously in the lead and then obviously he left. Maybe/probably we wanted that to happen, but it still happened. I will concede that perhaps we never missed if we asked him to leave so I should not have used this as an example.

Second, and more relevant, measuring success as not missing anyone you were ever in the lead for is ridiculous. As long as you never get in the lead for someone you will never fail by that measure.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball