PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Illinois takes the lead for Thomas

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Illinois takes the lead for Thomas

Postby SMU 86 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:26 pm

"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Illinois takes the lead for Thomas

Postby OhioBrownFan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:34 pm

Yep, and they're dangerous in this race. Real dangerous. A buddy was in my ear all weekend about it (he was a manager for them for the last 4 years). He's usually pretty on top of the stuff and definitely at minimum knows what the staff is thinking in regard to their chances.

Personally, I very well believe that Illinois is the true leader right now. But I love the fact that he said he's letting his head clear, and SMU/A&M are getting cracks at him next month. Dodged a bullet imo for him not to commit on the spot. Now he gets to go back home and LB gets a chance to close. Would not want him to make that visit to A&M given their momentum though.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:39 pm

Pass, give me Blackshear
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GiddyUp » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:40 pm

it's not over till its over.
GiddyUp

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:42 pm

Maybe it will be another one of these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dBiicxDymU
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby OhioBrownFan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:50 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Pass, give me Blackshear

Interesting dilemma for Illinois, I don't know if they take both Bragg and Thomas even if they can get them both. Similar players and I think Bragg is the better player of the two with the easier adjustment to the college game. Gonna be an interesting last few months here.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:55 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:

Interesting dilemma for Illinois, I don't know if they take both Bragg and Thomas even if they can get them both. Similar players and I think Bragg is the better player of the two with the easier adjustment to the college game. Gonna be an interesting last few months here.

What, very doubtful he goes to Illinois. Most bet he's going to a school with a "U" and "K", just don't know the order.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby OhioBrownFan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:08 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:

What, very doubtful he goes to Illinois. Most bet he's going to a school with a "U" and "K", just don't know the order.

Bet me on it? :wink: His handler is pro-Illinois, this is one the analysts aren't digging into to say the least. There's a few good analysts in the know. I wouldn't steer you wrong on this or put out that type of statement without having a few on the inside. Until about 3 weeks ago, I thought he was all UK as well fwiw.

Oh, and that same manager has been beating that drum for a long time with Bragg. I didn't believe it one bit til I started to really dig. Groce has done an unbelievable job.
Last edited by OhioBrownFan on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby SMU 86 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:11 pm

Are we in the lead for Blackshear? I did not think Blackshear had a leader.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:46 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:Bet me on it? :wink: His handler is pro-Illinois, this is one the analysts aren't digging into to say the least. There's a few good analysts in the know. I wouldn't steer you wrong on this or put out that type of statement without having a few on the inside. Until about 3 weeks ago, I thought he was all UK as well fwiw.

Oh, and that same manager has been beating that drum for a long time with Bragg. I didn't believe it one bit til I started to really dig. Groce has done an unbelievable job.

Meh, it's still Illinois. I'm not betting anything on recruiting roulette this year. With KU representing the US, not having a clear scholarship picture (same for UK), and Maker still a bit of an unknown, who knows. It could end up there isn't a spot for him at KU or UK regardless of who gets his "handler" warm and fuzzy.

BTW, I thought you were positive is was OSU? :D
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby OhioBrownFan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:05 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:Bet me on it? :wink: His handler is pro-Illinois, this is one the analysts aren't digging into to say the least. There's a few good analysts in the know. I wouldn't steer you wrong on this or put out that type of statement without having a few on the inside. Until about 3 weeks ago, I thought he was all UK as well fwiw.

Meh, it's still Illinois. I'm not betting anything on recruiting roulette this year. With KU representing the US, not having a clear scholarship picture (same for UK), and Maker still a bit of an unknown, who knows. It could end up there isn't a spot for him at KU or UK regardless of who gets his "handler" warm and fuzzy.

BTW, I thought you were positive is was OSU? :D

OSU has had zero shot at Bragg since Day 1. I've never said they had a prayer lol. And not sure if you're aware of the tradition at Illinois but it's only been 10 years since they had the best team in the country and lost in the natty. They're getting a stadium renovation and Groce is one of the best coaches in the country. Will be household name in 3 years, mark my words on that. Also, this handler is very important to this recruitment. These people have much more influence on kids that you might think, Hoopman can attest to this I'm sure. It's the single reason Blakeney isn't committed to Louisville right now after committing 3 weeks earlier.

Illinois is already taking kids away from top programs too, they got a pair of high-end players already committed to build on last year. More importantly, Groce has gotten into Chicago and pulled D.J. Williams out of Simeon HS along with Nunn/Tate in the 2013 Class. If Groce gets a hold of Chicago like Illinois used to, they're gonna be a real force again very quickly.

It's a young program this year that will probably make the tourney or come close but by next year, they should be top 15 and well on their way back to national prominence. I like the upside here a lot.

***Edit: Not sure how Maker impacts this? He's a class of 2016, maybe you're confusing him with someone else? Regardless, Bragg and Thomas both are one-and-done potentials too so they may not even be around when Maker is recruited anyways.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:31 pm

Meh, Groce is decent and is putting together a good class this year. Other programs (like Duke, KU, et al) have a strong footing in Chicago. I agree they're playing below their ceiling.

As far as Bragg, he goes to Illinois 9/30, KU 10/10, and UK 10/17. We should know within three weeks. I honestly don't know if either KU or UK will have room.

As far as how this could all impact SMU, do they look at ET if Bragg commits?
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:34 pm

@OBF

Makers camp is trying to move Heaven and Earth to reclassify to 2015. Not sure the detour through Canada is helping.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby OhioBrownFan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:49 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:Meh, Groce is decent and is putting together a good class this year. Other programs (like Duke, KU, et al) have a strong footing in Chicago. I agree they're playing below their ceiling.

As far as Bragg, he goes to Illinois 9/30, KU 10/10, and UK 10/17. We should know within three weeks. I honestly don't know if either KU or UK will have room.

As far as how this could all impact SMU, do they look at ET if Bragg commits?

That's what I'm looking to find out tomorrow. Does Illinois plan to take both if they both want in? Or is it one or the other? I'll dig on that though, should have a good idea by tomorrow night. Bragg is a very different player from Thomas which leads me to believe they would likely take both. Bragg has a much better perimeter game and far more developed than Thomas outside imo. Thomas is much better around the rim however.

I do know UK wants Bragg very bad, Calipari spent a ton of his summer watching him and I think Illinois is going to pull the rug on this one. I personally saw Calipari watching Bragg this summer lol, he wants him or he wouldn't have spent that much time watching him. I've also talked to a few in Bragg's camp that he's someone they will hold a spot for. I don't think KU has much of a chance, not one person up near VASJ has really said much to me in regard to KU. I know guys are predicting him there but it's been sounding a two-horse race with Illinois being in front from people I trust on it.

I had forgot they were trying to reclass Maker, thanks for that refresher. I'd heard that bit but just went in one ear and out the other. He's not going to any school I have a stake in so it doesn't matter to me really.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Still workin on diggin Cox, didn't connect with the people I wanted to today, gonna try again tomorrow.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball