PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Saturday's scrimmage

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Saturday's scrimmage

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:20 am

I didnt make it to the scrimmage on Saturday but I noticed some interesting numbers from the report on smumustangs.com. Lowe with 25 pts and Ross with 24 pts, 6 boards, and 6 assists. The real deal, B Hop, had 15 pts, 9 assists and SIX steals...when he gets his conditioning back, look out. The strangest line of the game...Michael Dement with 19 points??? I am really looking forward to the first exibition game this Saturday at 7pm. My starting five would be: Hop, Ross, Lowe, Castro, Simpson.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Saturday's scrimmage

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:06 pm

I watched practice on Friday for the first time since the opening practice. Hopkins looked much better as far as conditioning, still has a ways to go though. He made some jumpers and some clever passes. His defense was somewhat suspect, but something tells me practice is not where he turns it up. Isham looked very strong to me, he really stood out. It looks to me like the starting 5 might be Hop, Q, Lowe, Castro and Simpson. Kelley was rotating in on the front line with the first team. I could be wrong, but thats how it looks to me from one practice anyway. Voc was dressed but not participating. Still intrigued by Rack. He's not ready but he could be a real player down the road.
Hoop Fan

Postby Mustang Fan » Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:47 am

I think the boys did good this weekend as did the girls! Don't forget the action on Wednesday for the girls and Saturday for the boys! GO 'STANGS!
Mustang Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:27 am

HF, its good to hear from you. I look forward to discussing hoops on here with you this season. The one time I have seen the team this year Isham looked very impressive. He seemed more confident and explosive. He is developing into a solid 2 guard for us. I think the starting lineup of Hop, Q, Lowe, Simpson, and Castro is the most talented we have had going into a season since the SWC days. All five of these guys can score. I look for us to utilize the press and run every chance we get. Also, I'm starting to believe that this year's X factor may be Lowe. His game reminds me a lot of Jalen Rose, I'm not saying he is as talented as Rose but their games are very similar. If he starts hitting his outside shot, this team become very difficult to stop. We shall see, it should be fun.

LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:54 pm

Ready for some hoops myself LA. I just wish we didnt start out with TCU, we need more time to get ready with Hop out of shape. TCU played overseas this summer so they should have an advantage anyway. I think this team has a chance to be much better than recent teams. We have better shooters now, and some decent athleticism. KLowe is solid, we need his experience, but I would really like to see Isham play that spot. He is so explosive and can create on both ends. My ideal lineup would be Hop, Q, Isham, Pat and Castro. Another lineup I like is actually Hop, Q, Pat, Castro and Rack/Kelley. KLowe seems to me like the perfect 6th man type, but Miller will be a factor too.
Hoop Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:11 pm

I am anxious to see how Miller plays when healthy. If he can the outside jumper it is going to be tough for Dement to keep him off the floor. As for Rack, the sky is the limit for this kid. We have had 6-10, 6-11 footers in the recent past but none with his potential. And speaking of big men HF, junior LaMarcus Aldridge (6-11, 215) from Seagoville is going to be an absolute stud. He is already getting attention from some of the top programs and I know we are working [deleted] him. He is a potential top 10 national player. Thats something to definitely to keep your eye on.

LA_Mustang

Return to Basketball