PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question for PX

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Question for PX

Postby Pony Up » Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:44 pm

Who are the likely candidates for the last scholarship spot?
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Re: Question for PX

Postby PX » Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:00 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pony Up:
<B>Who are the likely candidates for the last scholarship spot?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What last scholarship?

Boubacar Coly is a 6'9" power forward from North Carolina who visited a month ago. Since then he has visited Ole Miss, Miami, and Richmond, and he may make a decision soon.
Paulius Jonelius is a very big 7'0" Lithuanian kid who is playing at a prep school in Virginia now. He visited SMU the week after Coly, and he probably wont commit anywhere until the spring. A handful of big name schools are already pursuing him, but the school where he is now plays most of the east coast high school powers (Oak Hill, etc.) So every school in the country will see him before the season is over. Hard to say now who else will be offering him a scholarship.
Bobby Aitkenhead is a walk on who will probably see minor but consistent playing time this years as the backup point guard. There's always a possibility he might earn a scholarship.

Now, if you would, tell me what last scholarship we are talking about? We have 3 graduating seniors and a full roster. We've signed 3 players for next year already. Whose scholarship are you taking away?
PX
Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:53 pm

X, I think he is referring to the press release on smumustangs.com which says there is one schollie left to give.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PX » Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:01 pm

I know what he's referring to, I'm asking him and everyone else to think about the actual implication of that.
And I dont believe the press release mentions an available scholarship. It says that its possible we may sign another player.
This is a critical thinking moment. Take a moment and think about what this means. I'm not going to do this one for you.
PX
Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:52 pm

Well, I am not up to date on all of the nuances of NCAA rules and its not my job to be, its Dement's and the athletic department's. With the 5/8 rule, or whatever rule ultimately got implemented, I seem to remember that it allowed an extra scholarship or something. In any case, I don't have any reason to believe we are going to start running off players or revoking scholarships. However, if you honor a guys scholarship for 4 years, I think its reasonable for a coach to have a say in whether the guys gets a fifth year for a redshirt. I dont think we have anybody in that circumstance, but its an example of the grey area on this stuff. Maybe Voc is going to going medical hardship, I dont know, but SMU has the benefit of the doubt from me on this stuff because we have consistently operated above board relative to other programs since 1989.
Hoop Fan

Postby PX » Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:42 pm

Hoop fan,
In regards to our conversation the other day, the recruit I mentioned now has a qualifying test score, and has met all the NCAA eligibilty requirements.
PX
Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:53 pm

good. Game week, X. Sure hope Hopkins is over the groin injury. Gonna need his services on Sunday. The Wed game should be real interesting to see how we look. Any idea who might be on EA's roster when they come through?
Hoop Fan

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:30 pm

Groin injury? I thought it was a foot injury?
Pony_Fan

Postby Hoop Fan » Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:37 pm

from what I hear, foot injury is fully healed, however it caused him to start fall practice very out of shape. Then he pulled a groin muscle, which is not too surprising when you are out of shape and trying to get back.
Hoop Fan

Postby PX » Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:00 pm

There are 5 EA Sports teams, and I think we are getting the one that lost to Colorado yesterday. Its not the EA Sports team that just beat Wake Forest. I recognize Nick Bradford (Kansas) and Joe Vogel (Colorado State) from their roster. I think Brett McFall played at Wyoming, but I could be mistaken, there. Aki Thomas, a former CU player, played in the game against Colorado, but I'm not sure if he is staying with them, these teams rosters shift a bit during their tours. They also have a guy calling himself "Rudy Rudiger" on their roster. No idea who it really is, the real Rudy would be about 50 years old, and he's only 5'6", so I doubt its him. They also have a "Joe Smith" not sure if thats another joke, or it might be the former NBA player by that name.

Bryan Hopkins will play tomorrow, and it looks like Voc might finally get on the court, as well. I dont know how many minutes Voc might see, considering how much practice he has missed, but it looks like he is as healthy as he is going to get, and he was able to do everything in practice today. The point guard job seems to be up for grabs, and you may see several people get a shot at running the point tomorrow, including the 2 new walk ons. It looks like Q may start at the point for this game.
PX
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:33 pm

PX, are you suggesting that Hopkins might not be the starting point guard tonight or Sunday?? Why? I know that Hop has struggled with his conditioning and has been hampered by his groin muscle but I was told it is nothing that will keep him out of the lineup.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PX » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:26 pm

I guess I was suggesting it, but I can state it more clearly if you want. Based on what I saw at practice, Bryan wont start. It looked like Quentin was playing the point with the first group. I expect tonights starting 5 to be Q, Miller, Lowe, Simpson and Castro. That might change before game time, but that was the first group in practice. Aitkenhead, Biggers and Hopkins will probably all get a few minutes at point, possibly Voc and Isham as well.
I dont know who gave you those assurances, but it wasn't me. I think you know what I look like, so feel free to talk to me tonight at the game.

Last night EA Sports pulled out a win against A&M. They have several former WAC players besides the ones I mentioned before, guys who played at Utah and Wyoming. Chris Crosby was a big forward who played at Washington State, and has bounced around the NBA developmental league. It looks like they have a good crew.
PX
Varsity

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:58 pm

One of the EA teams beat Ucla too. Wonder if it was this one that seems to be all guys from western schools.

I'm glad Q is working the point because even if he miraculously heels completely, Hop is not going to be able to play 40 mins against Tcu. We better have a backup plan that does not include throwing walkons to the wolves at point guard. I am concerned that Q can be taken out of his normal game at point guard though. He does so much that you hate to lose any part of his game. Ideally, Isham would be able to bring the ball up to take the pressure off Q. Not a good situation.
Hoop Fan

Postby PX » Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:14 pm

Boubacar Coly signed a letter of intent with Xavier yesterday. SMU wont sign anyone else in the early signing period.
PX
Varsity

Postby Pony4Life » Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:48 pm

Thanks for keeping us all up to date, PX!
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Return to Basketball