PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Admon Gilder Update

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Admon Gilder Update

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:39 pm

Rebel10 wrote:We are losing at least 5 players next year. He will get plenty playing time considering he may have one of the top 2 outside shots on the team and can handle the ball very well as a combo guard.

Gotta figure Gilder would be the 5th guard at best w/ Moore, Emelogu, Barefield, Frazier. Brown would probably be an option to slide down before Gilder as a frosh. The kid is a great scorer, but I've yet to hear anyone say he's a committed defender[/quote]

No one has said he isn't a committed defender either apparently. Almost sounds like you could care less if Gilder came to SMU.[/quote]

Lots of folks have questioned his D, but he's a scorer, so all that other stuff gets overlooked in evaluation and recruiting, until he gets to practice. See Keith Frazier. I want Gilder, cause I love kids who light it up, but I'm realistic about his spot in the rotation. Barefield is your PG of the future, and Emelogu is your 2.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:40 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Well he got ARob and Jalen last year.

You realize that's a bottom 1/3 class in most any power conference, right?
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby stangsup4 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:27 pm

Thomas would be a much more important get than Gilder but they seem to be a package deal...

Think they both end up in Stillwater with Evans.
stangsup4
All-American

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:47 pm

2 part question (still trying to learn)...

1) How common are fr transfers like Ben E or MK (yes I know the MK LB history)? How common are they as bigs?

2) When do we start getting an idea of the JUCO class?

Hope we land these two but always looking ahead.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:05 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:
jimhagle wrote:A&M's coach is a far cry from LB.

But he can sure recruit.

this year, what about his first 3?

Yep. Curious.
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:11 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:2 part question (still trying to learn)...

1) How common are fr transfers like Ben E or MK (yes I know the MK LB history)? How common are they as bigs?

1) Half the country transfers these days, so frosh transfers are pretty common, even bigs.

2) In terms of JUCO's, the nations largest JUCO tourney is in Dallas this weekend. Chances are a few names will come from it. I know the staff will check out Jaylen Brantley, a PG
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:23 pm

I saw the tweet about Brantley. We seem to be targeting a lot of guards. I'm concerned about F/C.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:24 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
SMUstangs22 wrote:2 part question (still trying to learn)...

1) Half the country transfers these days, so frosh transfers are pretty common, even bigs.

2) In terms of JUCO's, the nations largest JUCO tourney is in Dallas this weekend. Chances are a few names will come from it. I know the staff will check out Jaylen Brantley, a PG

Any other bigs already on the watch list?
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:54 pm

There are lots of ways to look at this. I remember LB once saying that he'd be fine w/5 6'7 kids on the floor. If you haven't heard of SMU truly reaching on bigs yet, maybe it's b/c they know something. Maybe it's b/c the class is thin on bigs, and they have other plans, not sure. Either way, I'm not too quick to proclaim gloom an doom w/regards to bigs, when Moreira was done forever before it was announced. The staff is stealthy. If we don't have legit fills, 1-5, we'll be just fine w/the right type of long, active athletes, who defend and board.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU 86 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:09 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:
Pony_Law wrote:“The one school I decide on will be the school that I am comfortable with in terms of the coaches and the players, and a place where I will be able to have a great impact during my freshman year,”

That quote has me a bit scared. at SMU with Bakerfield, the transfer from Tech, Nic More, Fraizer, Sterling, and Foster the guard spots might see a bit crowded for him in 2015.

We are losing at least 5 players next year. He will get plenty playing time considering he may have one of the top 2 outside shots on the team and can handle the ball very well as a combo guard.

Gotta figure Gilder would be the 5th guard at best w/ Moore, Emelogu, Barefield, Frazier. Brown would probably be an option to slide down before Gilder as a frosh. The kid is a great scorer, but I've yet to hear anyone say he's a committed defender

Hoopmanx, do you know what the guard situation is like at Okie State?
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:22 pm

SMU 86 wrote:Hoopmanx, do you know what the guard situation is like at Okie State?

I really don't know their 2 deep. I know this, I've cheered for a lot of teams/programs that didn't have quality starters, much less two deep. As a Terp fan, the late 90s-early 00's were like that. You knew going into the year, you were stacked everywhere including a few pro's. I sorta feel like that w/this program right now. We're going to lose some tough games, maybe more than we should, but we're also going to smack a bunch of programs on the chin. Same w/next year. We can go toe to toe w/most anyone. Good times
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU 86 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:37 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
SMU 86 wrote:Hoopmanx, do you know what the guard situation is like at Okie State?

I really don't know their 2 deep. I know this, I've cheered for a lot of teams/programs that didn't have quality starters, much less two deep. As a Terp fan, the late 90s-early 00's were like that. You knew going into the year, you were stacked everywhere including a few pro's. I sorta feel like that w/this program right now. We're going to lose some tough games, maybe more than we should, but we're also going to smack a bunch of programs on the chin. Same w/next year. We can go toe to toe w/most anyone. Good times

Just curious what Gilder's situation with Okie State at guard would be compared to ours. Do you think he see the floor more at SMU or Okie State?
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:44 pm

hoopmanx wrote:There are lots of ways to look at this. I remember LB once saying that he'd be fine w/5 6'7 kids on the floor. If you haven't heard of SMU truly reaching on bigs yet, maybe it's b/c they know something. Maybe it's b/c the class is thin on bigs, and they have other plans, not sure. Either way, I'm not too quick to proclaim gloom an doom w/regards to bigs, when Moreira was done forever before it was announced. The staff is stealthy. If we don't have legit fills, 1-5, we'll be just fine w/the right type of long, active athletes, who defend and board.

Don't get me wrong, just trying to get info.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:46 pm

hoopmanx wrote:when Moreira was done forever before it was announced.

??????
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:08 pm

mrydel wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:when Moreira was done forever before it was announced.

??????

Put it this way, LBs original staff, down to interns(seriously), were chosen for two reasons. First, b/c they were skilled and secondly b/c they could bring at least one kid w/them
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball