PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Game Stories??

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Game Stories??

Postby D » Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:21 am

Anybody have any thoughts on the game tonight? Good to see us get a win. I checked out the stats, but would like to hear from any that were at the game to get the whole story. How did they look?
D
Varsity

Re: Game Stories??

Postby PX » Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:10 am

Extremely ragged for the first 10 minutes, then EA collapsed.
PX
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:50 am

after checking the stats, the things that jump out at me are: 1) 21 assists - a huge improvement over last year; but...too many turnovers 2) except for Miller and BHop, we shot a pretty good percentage from the floor 3) FT shooting still suspect which is critical in those close games 4) sure hope Voc will be healthy enough to give us 10 minutes a game. We need his leadership and 3 pt range and finally...STILL nobody coming out to watch. Sure hope we have a good crowd for TCU. Long live the 1,500!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:39 am

it's early and I mis-read some of those stats. The 70% FT shooting is better than what we've seen in recent years. Would like to see that percentage or better every night out. The 41% from 3-pt range is very encouraging compared to the last several years of 28% shooting. And...someone who was there please tell me...are we playing better defense? The 15 steals and 27 turnovers by EA is perhaps the most encouraging stat from this game. BEAT TCU!!!
Charleston Pony

Postby k pony » Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:34 pm

The most encouraging thing about the game last night was the set plays we ran. It was nice to see guys coming off screens and hitting shots, instead of Hancock driving and throwing up an off balanced shot. Nice emotion by Nigel, have not seen him that aggressive since he was a Freshman,
k pony
Recruit

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:56 pm

i agree, if nothing else there is much more of a team concept so far. Hopkins created several open shots by driving the lane and dishing at the right times. I thought Pat Simpson stood out last night. He knocked down shots and was a definite presence with his long arms on D. Voc was a pleasant surprise. We'll see how it all carries over to Sunday.
Hoop Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:13 pm

HF, I agree that Voc was a pleasant surprise. I really hope he is able to stay healthy and in the lineup. His emotion is infectious. I loved the post moves Castro showed early and Simpson played very well on both ends of the court.

The thing that stands out the most in these first two games is we are making the extra pass...and there is no standing around waiting for someone (Sasser or Hancock) to shoot the ball. Everyone seems to be on the same page with a team first mindset. Lastly, why didnt Kelley play??
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:36 pm

I heard Kelley had a sprained ankle and would be out a couple weeks. Rack looks very capable in the preseason, but we might miss Kelley as a backup when the lights come on. Honestly, I am not real optimistic about the early part of the season, mostly because of Hops lack of conditioning and practice time. I am encouraged that we can be pretty good later in the season though.
Hoop Fan

Postby DiamondM » Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:48 pm

I will echo the sentiments of most of the others. I understand that this wasn't exactly a quality opponent -- and it was a very tired one too -- but here are things I saw that I just haven't seen in the past couple of years that I think gives me reason to be optimistic (as if I need a reason):

1. Team concept: This team passes to the open man. They set screens. They are more patient. The just seem doing more of the team oriented things that make good teams better.

2. Free throw shooting: We still have a few guys who could definitely improve, but the free throws were consistently made in the two exhibition games.

3. Three point defense: We're still not the best at this by any means, but the team just appears to be quicker on getting out to the shooters better and preventing/altering the three point shots more consistently than in the past.

4. Overall defense: This also goes back to the team concept. This team seems excited about creating fast breaks, and even shot clock violations, with good D. I also have seen a bunch of charges taken by our guys, which means they're getting into position.

5. Depth: Although injuries have been a factor at the point and may continue to be in the early season, I can look a lot farther down the bench for contribution than in years past.

6. Kris Lowe's shooting percentage, especially outside the arc. Last couple he's taken a lot and missed a lot. He seems to have more accuracy so far. Am I hallucinating.

7. The alley oop. Lots of them. Going to make for some exciting basketball.

8. Several pretty boy type walk ons that maybe could bring in the fraternity brothers and the sororities to watch the game so they can chant for them to come in for clean up time.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby PX » Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:05 pm

Jibran practiced today, and he should be able to play on Sunday. It was actually the plantar fascia, a connective tissue in the sole of your foot, not a sprained ankle, but regardless he is able to play now.
PX
Varsity

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:54 pm

Team looked lathargic at first until they realized that they were losing.

Really liked having a big man.

B-hop looked pretty good, but tentative.

Q looked strong.

Voc was the best player out there.

DBB
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Return to Basketball