PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU Game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TCU Game

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:54 pm

How do we measure up? Do we have any matchup issues? The last 2 years we have basically won the 1st half only to CHOKE big time in the end..can we pull this one off?

Who are the stars on the Frogs?
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: TCU Game

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:40 pm

I think they have 5 starters back. They should be more disciplined too with new coach from Kansas. Star is Bingo Merriex, who is 6'8 and shoots alot of 3s. If he is on, he is hard to stop. The guards are also very strong and physical, Nucleus Smith lit us up last year. They have a transfer from Texas Tech who will help them too. I dont think their inside game is as imposing as it used to be, but even so I would expect them to be 4 or 5 point favorites on our court.
Hoop Fan

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:57 pm

Yea, I remember Bingo from previous years.
I also noticed they got 6 exhibition games in Australia in August..that is nice pre-season warm up for them.

here is the roster - I remember Nucleus killing us last year too.

<A HREF="http://gofrogs.ocsn.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/tcu-m-baskbl-mtt.html" TARGET=_blank>http://gofrogs.ocsn.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/tcu-m-baskbl-mtt.html</A>
Pony_Fan

Postby ClassOf81 » Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:16 pm

We've all read about Bryan Hopkins being somewhat hobbled by a pulled groin (is there a more painful-sounding injury?) - what about TCU? Are the Frogs all healthy?

Who did they lose from last year? I can't wait for Bingo Merriex to move on. That kid's a player.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby PX » Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:46 pm

The only player who graduated from last years team was Marlon Dumont, their starting center. Dumont wasnt a big scorer, but he was an athletic, physical presence in the lane, and that is going to become an issue for the frogs this year. Bingo Merriex is their starting center now. Jamal Brown (6'7") is the backup center. They have some taller kids, but Rebel Paulk is injured, and Brian Carter hasnt shown much in their exhibition games.
The Frogs will start 2 point guards (Santee and Blount) and 3 forwards who are 6'6"-6'8", and at some point they will have a 3rd small guard (Nucleus Smith) on the floor with the other 2. They push the ball upcourt [deleted] every possession, and screen alot on the ball trying to create mismtaches when the defenders switch. Defensively they pick up man to man full court and pressure the ball handler hard. They are very soft in the lane, though, which is what happens when you use that small lineup.
TCU has alot of speed and alot of athletes who can score, but they also give up some easy baskets. They can match our depth, and have better team speed, but for the first time in memory they arent as tall. We should have an advantage in the paint, while they will be faster in the open court.
PX
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Nov 23, 2002 11:07 pm

As much as I didn't care for warm up OOC games (the Sam Houston's and Savannah State's) ..I wish we had a real game under our belt. We played 3 games at this point last year. TCU/Tech isn't an easy way to get started.

Go Ponies! Beat TCU!
Pony_Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 24, 2002 2:16 pm

Yes, it would have been nice to have a few more games before taking on TCU & Tech. It would be even nicer to play them as conference foes, but then again, a schedule like this will help our home attendance and better prepare these guys for WAC play. Those cupcake games can help pad stats, but they haven't done much for our attendance or intensity as far as I'm concerned. This year's schedule is tough, but not loaded with top 25 caliber opponents. I like what Dement and Copeland have done with the schedule.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:09 pm

Hey CP - glad you are on at least one board. The MM board is way sloow and is really bad now.

I'll be out there today with the 4000-5000K?? Goodness - I hope it's more than the avg 1500. Hopefully we'll see some Frog fans and a few students? to get the attendance up. Cowboy game will be over at that point.
Pony_Fan

Postby Keith Jackson » Sun Nov 24, 2002 5:50 pm

Bingo Merriex is their starting center? Why? He's a great player, but he's a perimeter guy. Either he's bulked up and added a ton of inside moves, or they're in more dire straits than we thought. Can't wait for the game.

--------------------
Woah, Nellie!
Go SMU!
----------------------------<BR>Woah, Nellie! <BR>Go SMU
Keith Jackson

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:23 pm

I'm on my way over for the game. GO PONIES!
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 24, 2002 8:19 pm

Pony Fan: I still check both boards pretty regularly. Call me a hopeless fanatic (my wife and kids do). I registered on the other board but can't seem to post without getting error messages. I've checked everything I know to do, but no luck. It's so slow over there that I've about lost interest, anyways.
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball