PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Finally the streak is broken

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Finally the streak is broken

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:54 pm

thank you, Ponies, for sending those froggies back to the town of cow wearing a big L. I had to listen on the frog network, so obviously there wasn't a lot of excitement at the end of that broadcast, but sounds like BHop really stepped up at crunch time. Great job, guys. You rounded out a wonderful weekend for PonyFans everywhere!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Finally the streak is broken

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:03 pm

THANK GOODNESS!! WE BEAT TCU!!!!!!

Hopkins looks to be about 50% if that. He has no quickness right now due to injury..it will be great when he is 100%...still had some nice dishes and 5 pts when it counted at the end. Simpson had some great blocks and will be good on the inside. I still don't understand Dement's sub patterns..oh well.

Frogs have a very good frontcourt..just not much inside. FT's still worry me. Beat Tech!
Pony_Fan

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:18 pm

The line for Bryan Hopkins:

12 points
10 assists
0 turnovers

THAT's what you need from a point guard! Great first game - can't wait to see him when he's at 100 percent.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:50 am

Q's 3-pointer with about 3 minutes left was the first 3 of the game? We've got to shoot better to beat Tech Tuesday.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:04 am

Yep 2 for 17 on 3 pointers! Glad we pulled this one out with that shooting...very cold tonight.
Pony_Fan

Postby The Q » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:36 am

Bryan Hopkins is going to be a great PG. He looked like he was in some pain tonight, not running like we know he can. But he took care of the ball and made some great passes.

And my man Q played well, despite that airball at the end of regulation.

Beat Tech!
The Q
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:56 am

I would say that Hopkins was about 60% and had no explosiveness but the great ones find a way (12pts, 10 asst, 0 TO). His two shots in OT put the game away and I think the play of the game was his behind the back pass on the break to Castro that lead to a three point play. That ignited the crowd and the team. One thing that killed me was that we kept going 1 of 2 from the line?? That has to improve. Lastly, they said the attendance was 7K...not even close, maybe 5K.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:00 pm

Yep, anybody who saw Hopkins play last year can tell that he is not himself physically. Definitely an impressive effort by BHop. Q was very tight or cold early, but really came on, and Simpson was huge on a few blocks and a key jumper. Nigel and Jibran combined for 15 points, which may have been the difference to me. Thats good production for their minutes. Damn it was nice to beat the Frogs, should give this team a lift. Somehow BHop has to get healthy though. Its hard to play your way through groin injuries.
Hoop Fan

Return to Basketball