PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Too Much Talent Bad?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Too Much Talent Bad?

Postby SMU 86 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:29 am

No Quarter wrote:It comes to mind that GT teams under Bobby Cremins had nine straight NCAA appearances starting in 1985 followed by a trip to the NIT in 1994 and another NCAA invitation in 1996. His tenure included one ACC tourney win, one ACC regular season championship and a Final Four loss. My memory is that Cremins often depended on six or seven players who got a lot of minutes. The Atlanta newspaper writers sometimes commented on the thin Tech squad. As such it was a different approach than LB has brought to SMU with talk of having a credible two deep this season.

This was an interesting post to read, but until we see something bad happen I'm happy to let Coach Brown run with it. I will say that I wondered sometimes last season, when Nic was on the bench, whether the previous PG who transferred might not have been a better option than we had available.

Go Ponies.

Well we aren't 2 deep at having true point guards this year so I would not say we are a true 2 deep team at all positions but we are pretty deep in 4 of the 5 positions.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby max the wonder dog » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:15 am

CalallenStang wrote:Was this article written by Josh Pastner to justify his poor coaching?

The research was done by social scientists, not coaches or sportswriters. If their hypothesis is correct, then it doesn't speak well to the way in which CJP builds and coaches his team. I don't see bringing on the Lawson Brothers and their Dad making things things better in this regard.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:18 pm

SMU 86 wrote:
No Quarter wrote:It comes to mind that GT teams under Bobby Cremins had nine straight NCAA appearances starting in 1985 followed by a trip to the NIT in 1994 and another NCAA invitation in 1996. His tenure included one ACC tourney win, one ACC regular season championship and a Final Four loss. My memory is that Cremins often depended on six or seven players who got a lot of minutes. The Atlanta newspaper writers sometimes commented on the thin Tech squad. As such it was a different approach than LB has brought to SMU with talk of having a credible two deep this season.

This was an interesting post to read, but until we see something bad happen I'm happy to let Coach Brown run with it. I will say that I wondered sometimes last season, when Nic was on the bench, whether the previous PG who transferred might not have been a better option than we had available.

Go Ponies.

Well we aren't 2 deep at having true point guards this year so I would not say we are a true 2 deep
team at all positions but we are pretty deep in 4 of the 5 positions.

Fair enough. But would you take the last five starters before LBs first season or the 2014 second five as seen now?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby SMU 86 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:03 pm

No Quarter wrote:
SMU 86 wrote:

Go Ponies.

Well we aren't 2 deep at having true point guards this year so I would not say we are a true 2 deep
team at all positions but we are pretty deep in 4 of the 5 positions.

Fair enough. But would you take the last five starters before LBs first season or the 2014 second five as seen now?

Hadn't really thought about it. JFrog would be an upgrade at point over the second string but that is about it. Not sure what your point is.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball