PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Say what you want about Texas A&M

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Say what you want about Texas A&M

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:19 am

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:If they get Thomas they will have a team that could very well make more than one run at the national championship over the next few years.

roadblock = see their coach.

Surprising how good a coach can be when he has talent. I know you are hoping he is gone but with this class they will give him 2 years. Remember we barely beat A&M last year and they had no point guard and less talent.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:19 am

tristatecoog wrote:Is SEC hoops a big draw? Why A&M and not SMU, UT, KU, etc?

I thought SEC hoops was Kentucky hoops.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:21 am

East Coast Mustang wrote:Completely and totally leaving Texas in the dust as the premier athletic university in the state for the foreseeable future. The move to the SEC has done wonders for them

outside of beating Alabama that one game, what have they done in SEC football? They're behind Bama, now Miss. State and Ole Miss, and that is the SEC West.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:21 am

stangsup4 wrote:Knew we should have offered the kid a scholly
Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels
One VERY respected person in Texas told me this am about Texas A&M: "Avery Johnson is the best recruiter I have seen in a long time."

That might have been a key factor.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:24 am

Pony ^ wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:Completely and totally leaving Texas in the dust as the premier athletic university in the state for the foreseeable future. The move to the SEC has done wonders for them

Texas hoops is doing quite well actually...they are way ahead in hoops

They are whipping Texas and SMU's backsides this year in recruiting. After Turner leaves Texas as a one and done Texas will have to reload.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby stangsup4 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:27 am

Rebel10 wrote:
Pony ^ wrote:

Texas hoops is doing quite well actually...they are way ahead in hoops

They are whipping Texas and SMU's backsides this year in recruiting. After Turner leaves Texas as a one and done Texas will have to reload.

Eh all A&M did was offer AJJ and he recruited all of the Plano West guys for them. In hindsight, I do wish Larry would have offered him because I truly believe he would have come here and brought all of his blue chippers with him.

This is not a time to panic at all though. We still have a very nice class put together, all we need to add is one big. I'd like Thomas just as much as the next guy but we might have to go the JC route, which will be fine too.
stangsup4
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:38 am

stangsup4 wrote:
Eh all A&M did was offer AJJ and he recruited all of the Plano West guys for them. In hindsight, I do wish Larry would have offered him because I truly believe he would have come here and brought all of his blue chippers with him.

This is not a time to panic at all though. We still have a very nice class put together, all we need to add is one big. I'd like Thomas just as much as the next guy but we might have to go the JC route, which will be fine too.

What do you mean eh? What did we do? They did what they had to do (which was probably more than that) and we did not. Ulrich is the point man on him and Thomas. We'll see what happens with Thomas. We have a nice class of guards not a nice class as a whole. Not time to panic but if we do not get Thomas and most of the good JC bigs are gone then we will be hunting for leftovers which could very well happen.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:44 am

You do realize that Texas has legitimate National championship hopes this year in men's BB right? Barnes is a good coach, they have incredible size returning and have a top 5 freshman coming in for more depth. Also returning a point gaurd who was really good as a freshman. Texas BB>>>>>then Aggie basketball. That's been true yesterday, today, tomorrow and for the past 20 years.

What has A&M won ever? A Heisman once in the last 50 years (which went to a player who almost certainly had violated his armature status). We will see if it is eventually stripped ala Reggie Bush. They haven't won a football national championship since before the US entered World War 2 and haven't won a football conference title in over 15 years. The Aggies have a 16-19 bowl game record and never went to a BCS bowl game while that system existed. they have a 35-76-5 record against their biggest rival (who doesn't even recognize them as their biggest rival). A&M has won 17 national championships in the entire history of the school and only 18 football conference championships. Texas has won 50 national championships and 32 football conference championships.

I'm not even a big UT fan (i grew up outside of Texas). I just can't stand Aggie slurping and thinking they are anything more than b-team in this state despite having absolutely nothing to back that up except 4 years of mediocre UT football and a few years of slightly above average A&M football. Oh and the the bottom line UT athletic revenue 165M a year A&M 93M. More money, more alumni, better school, more athletic success recently and historically, your right A&M dominance forever.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:51 am

^Lawyered
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:54 am

Pony_Law wrote:

You do realize that Texas has legitimate National championship hopes this year in men's BB right? Barnes is a good coach, they have incredible size returning and have a top 5 freshman coming in for more depth. Also returning a point gaurd who was really good as a freshman. Texas BB>>>>>then Aggie basketball. That's been true yesterday, today, tomorrow and for the past 20 years.

What has A&M won ever? A Heisman once in the last 50 years (which went to a player who almost certainly had violated his armature status). We will see if it is eventually stripped ala Reggie Bush. They haven't won a football national championship since before the US entered World War 2 and haven't won a football conference title in over 15 years. The Aggies have a 16-19 bowl game record and never went to a BCS bowl game while that system existed. they have a 35-76-5 record against their biggest rival (who doesn't even recognize them as their biggest rival). A&M has won 17 national championships in the entire history of the school and only 18 football conference championships. Texas has won 50 national championships and 32 football conference championships.

I'm not even a big UT fan (i grew up outside of Texas). I just can't stand Aggie slurping and thinking they are anything more than b-team in this state despite having absolutely nothing to back that up except 4 years of mediocre UT football and a few years of slightly above average A&M football. Oh and the the bottom line UT athletic revenue 165M a year A&M 93M. More money, more alumni, better school, more athletic success recently and historically, your right A&M dominance forever.

After this year UT might be behind aTm in basketball too. As of NOW aTm is the flagship school in Texas. UT is nothing in football now (they are killing UT in football recruiting) and Barnes was on the verge of getting fired last year. Good for everyone that he didn't. Texas will be mediocre next year in football and basketball. I am taking about right now not what happened 20 years ago.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:58 am

Agreed. Only a fool can't see the tide shifting.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ericdickerson4life » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:08 pm

Interesting sentiment that A&M is now the flagship and UT is the sister school. A&M needs to do something with this run they have had in football and influx of talent in basketball this recruiting class. Championships aren't won by highlights on ESPN or recruiting titles (see past UT teams). There is a decent chance that they go 4-4 in the SEC or worse and get a bowl game simply because they played an unbelievably tough OOC. How many more season of that will A&M take? UT wouldn't stand for that, they got rid of Mack because of performances like that.

Mad we didn't land Gilder but I'm not about ready to crown them national champs or even SEC champs. They have a few teams in their own conference that have much better coaching and can compete on talent.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:15 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:Interesting sentiment that A&M is now the flagship and UT is the sister school. A&M needs to do something with this run they have had in football and influx of talent in basketball this recruiting class. Championships aren't won by highlights on ESPN or recruiting titles (see past UT teams). There is a decent chance that they go 4-4 in the SEC or worse and get a bowl game simply because they played an unbelievably tough OOC. How many more season of that will A&M take? UT wouldn't stand for that, they got rid of Mack because of performances like that.

Mad we didn't land Gilder but I'm not about ready to crown them national champs or even SEC champs. They have a few teams in their own conference that have much better coaching and can compete on talent.

They have done their jobs in recruiting in both football and basketball. Two more years and they will see the results of their hard work imo. As far as SMU goes we need to get this middle of the road JC center that OSU has offered.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:15 pm

Last weekend, it's possible that UT could have beaten A&M in football.

Baylor is the top athletic university in the state in terms of results the last couple years.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:17 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Last weekend, it's possible that UT could have beaten A&M in football.

Baylor is the top athletic university in the state in terms of results the last couple years.

Look just tell your basketball coach to stop text messaging a recruit 100 times a day.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball