PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We are going to be scrambling for bigs if Thomas goes to A&M

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: We are going to be scrambling for bigs if Thomas goes to

Postby ponydawg » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:13 pm

ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponydawg » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:23 pm

Did you even think 2 years ago that you would have the desire to troll the SMU basketball board.....nope. Someone's stock is rising while the other is treading water.

ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:28 pm

This troll went to Memphis, meaning he was too stupid to go to Tennessee or Ole Miss. Think about that for a second.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyFan32 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:32 pm

I think I'm going to hold off on the worrying about bigs until late summer. Does anyone realize we are stockpiled with bigs for 2014-2015? Lol. No reason to sap this season of its excitement getting worried over something that is over a year away.

If we've hit late summer and we've missed out on 2015 bigs as well as transfer bigs, then I'll be worried. I want to enjoy this season for what it will be!
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Smu97186 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:38 pm

Between ok state and us offering Juco bigs and Gilder going to a&m I would bet Elijah is headed there as well
Smu97186
Varsity

Postby GiddyUp » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:57 pm

PonyFan32 wrote:I think I'm going to hold off on the worrying about bigs until late summer. Does anyone realize we are stockpiled with bigs for 2014-2015? Lol. No reason to sap this season of its excitement getting worried over something that is over a year away.

If we've hit late summer and we've missed out on 2015 bigs as well as transfer bigs, then I'll be worried. I want to enjoy this season for what it will be!

Will def enjoy this year true -- but have a void for bigs in 2015/16 and a transfer would have to sit out a year in most cases. Have to replace Cannen, Yanik, and MK, Martin.
GiddyUp

Postby SMU 86 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:15 pm

GiddyUp wrote:
PonyFan32 wrote:I think I'm going to hold off on the worrying about bigs until late summer. Does anyone realize we are stockpiled with bigs for 2014-2015? Lol. No reason to sap this season of its excitement getting worried over something that is over a year away.

Will def enjoy this year true -- but have a void for bigs in 2015/16 and a transfer would have to sit out a year in most cases. Have to replace Cannen, Yanik, and MK, Martin.

Right, when the season starts I will enjot the season but now it is recruiting time and there is a cause for some concern over getting a big or two. We don't want to start this diamond in the rough stuff on bigs or hope that some that we like transfers that is immediately eligible and wants to come to SMU. Failure to plan for the future is planning to fail.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:27 pm

Yall got 4 votes in the preseason coaches poll. We're ranked 22nd. You had zero players drafted into the NBA last year. Pastner is doing a great job!!
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby SMU 86 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:31 pm

TigerJ wrote:
ponydawg wrote:Did you even think 2 years ago that you would have the desire to troll the SMU basketball board.....nope. Someone's stock is rising while the other is treading water.

If our stock is dropping why do we have #1 class in the AAC? 31st in CP with an entirely new team. Memphis will always be the better brand. SMU is Larry Brown. We never miss a beat whoever the coach is. Talk when Brown puts a player from SMU in the NBA.

We could put a player in the NBA this year if Kennedy goes pro.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby PonyKris89 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:57 pm

Well, at least we are very well positioned at the guard spots. In college hoops Big Dance it is all about the guards.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:08 pm

Guys seriously need to calm down and get perspective. We are getting better recruits than the ones who made up last years team (outside of frazier and he didn't start). Now we are well positioned for a sustainable program. Transfers and JUCOs if Thomas goes elsewhere and MK goes pro. For heavens sake the day after committing the #1 player in OK and we are freaking out?
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:20 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:Guys seriously need to calm down and get perspective. We are getting better recruits than the ones who made up last years team (outside of frazier and he didn't start). Now we are well positioned for a sustainable program. Transfers and JUCOs if Thomas goes elsewhere and MK goes pro. For heavens sake the day after committing the #1 player in OK and we are freaking out?

We are taking about positional needs. It is harder to get good bigs than it is to get good guards. We might even get LeGeral Vick as well. Really good to get Milton but there are plenty good guards out there. Outside of Thomas no other top 150 bigs are even looking at SMU. Transfers are like playing Russian roulette (see June Jones on that one) because you never know who is transferring until they transfer. JUCO are about 50/50 if they work out. You don't want to depend on Juco and Transfers to build a program. Sure it might help to get things up and running and making it to the NIT but it will be less likely to be a team that makes a run at the national championship. And no one is freaking out but looking at it through realistic perspective on trying to make a run for the national champion rather than just being satisfied with being a good team in the AAC.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMUstangs22 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:22 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
SMUstangs22 wrote:Guys seriously need to calm down and get perspective. We are getting better recruits than the ones who made up last years team (outside of frazier and he didn't start). Now we are well positioned for a sustainable program. Transfers and JUCOs if Thomas goes elsewhere and MK goes pro. For heavens sake the day after committing the #1 player in OK and we are freaking out?

We are taking about positional needs. It is harder to get good bigs than it is to get good guards. We might even get LeGeral Vick as well.

Oh ok I misunderstood. What is the word on Vick? How good is he?

If Larry is not worried about bigs right now then I am not.
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby stangsup4 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:27 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

We are taking about positional needs. It is harder to get good bigs than it is to get good guards. We might even get LeGeral Vick as well.

Vick is starting to gain some steam. Indiana, Baylor, Auburn are all starting to go after him but we were on him before they were so that ought to give us an advantage.
stangsup4
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:32 pm

SMUstangs22 wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

I think Vick is pretty good. As far as if Larry is worried I don't know and if he was I don't think he would tell anyone. Well maybe he would tell Hoopmanx. :mrgreen:
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball