PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

An outsider's view of the SMU basketball team

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

An outsider's view of the SMU basketball team

Postby True Colors » Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:54 am

Hello pony fans, greetings from a Baylor Bear in Dallas.

Went to the TCU game tonight, and would like to give you some comments from an outsider's perspective.

First of all, let me congratulate you on the win. I was pulling for SMU all the way.

Here are my thoughts:

*** <B>GUARDS/WING PLAYERS</B> ***

Worst display of three point shooting I have ever seen from a division one team in any game. I kept thinking to myself "SMU would win this game by 15 or 20 if they were knocking down these shots at even a normal clip. Luckily, that did not cost you the win.

<B>Quinten Ross</B> - Wow. I had not heard about this guy, but he was a scoring machine. I like the way he is able to create his own shot, and is willing to take the ball down into the paint.

<B>Justin Ishum</B> - looks like a potentially good reserve player, with a little scoring punch.

<B>Bryan Hopkins</B> - Seemed a little hesistant in the first half, but settled in as the game went on. I hate to make predictions about a true freshman, but based on what I saw today, he looks like a future star to me. He has a long way to go, but man is he ever strong with the ball.

<B>FORWARDS/POST PLAYERS</B>

Lots of big, stocky players who do a good job of clogging up the lane. Got some great blocks tonight.

<B>Castro</B> - Good defensive player. Seems to slow to ever be very effective on offense.

<B>Patrick Simpson</B> - I kept hoping he would get more agressive on offense. He seemed to be the most polished of the SMU big men, and I did like his footwork. He just needs to attack more, ESPECIALLY when the other team has so many players in foul trouble.

<B>Jibran Kelly</B> - I felt sorry for this guy. Every time he would make a basket, the coach would reward him by putting him on the bench!! He seemed to play with the most emotion of anybody on the team.

*** <B>COACHING</B> ***

You guys are going to kill me for this, but I have to be critical of what I saw tonight. The two biggest problems that I have with coach Dement are this.

a) his substitution patterns make no sense whatsoever to me. Seemed like every time one of your players would get into a groove, he would pull that person out. I also could not understand why he did not play Simpson more over Castro for this particular game. SMU was never significantly threatened by inside scoring tonight, but they did struggle at times on offense. SOOOOOO..... seems like it would make perfect sense to play Simpson. Can someone explain this?

b) Based on what I saw tonight, Dement needs to do a far better job of playing to the teams' strengths. I'm sorry, but TCU simply had no answer for the SMU big men. Since the Mustant's outside shots were not falling at all, why not keep pounding the ball down inside? Another thing--I realize that it's early on, but why not open things up a little in the transition game with Hopkins on the point? He sure looks ready to handle it in my view. Also, since Hopkins is clearly the best ball handler, why did he not have full possession of the rock during the closing seconds of regulation? Some other player had it, which cause SMU not to get a good play off, IMO.

Anyway, nice job, and good luck to you this season, except for when you play us.

TC

[This message has been edited by True Colors (edited 11-25-2002).]
True Colors
Scout Team

Re: An outsider's view of the SMU basketball team

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:12 pm

True Colors,

I agree with the 3 pt shots..very poor!!
I appreciate your outside thoughts...Dement has always had questionable sub patterns. When a player is in a groove or is playing well, he seems to yank them...or if you make 1 mistake you are pulled. Yes, we should have been posting up in the middle and attacked. The TCU players are were in foul trouble...no reason no to create some fouls w/ Simpson..he was the inside presence tonight. Kelley...I have always liked him and Dement doesnt play him enough..he has a lot of energy. At the end, not sure why Ross has the ball at the point, he is not a point guard and lost the ball a lot last year when Hancock was hurt.

Anyway, thanks for the post and we'll see what happens with Baylor.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:51 pm

We are the only D-1 team with a starting 10.

Subs make no sense to me!

DBB
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:39 pm

I thought I was watching a hockey game with 2 lines Image what is up with that? starting 5 go out and he replaces them with another 5.
Pony_Fan

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:50 pm

The sub patterns have always been a mystery to me. I will say this though, at least we are using our depth to press and be aggressive. In the past Dement subbed like crazy and never extended the defense anyway.
Hoop Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:21 pm

Dement's sub pattern did resemble a hockey line change. Outside of the last few minutes of a blowout, I dont think I have ever seen a coach put in 5 new players at the same time....that was very strange.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:27 pm

I can understand resting Hopkins a lot b/c of injury. Why not let Voc play at point while he is out rather than Ross handling the ball?

He has always had bad sub patterns in my opinion...players can't get into a groove and he'll yank them if the mess up just 1 time. We had inside presence last night and didnt seem to utilize it in the post..especially with TCU in foul trouble.
Pony_Fan

Postby GrapevineMustang » Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:19 pm

I root like hell for Voc, but he just isn't quick enough at the point. Q can do so many things, and one of them is run the offense from the point. I like him better in his regular role, as I assume all PonyFans do, but he can do the job. Hope Hop gets better quick.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby mulletmike » Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:34 pm

You folks are showing your age/youth. Dements sub patterns may be odd, but the 5 man substitution is age old and called the "Blue" team. Dean Smith invented it and Carolina used it w/incredible effectiveness for years. Not sure how applicable it is to the Ponies, except they have quality depth that makes it possible.

Anyway, regardless of how he does it, Dement needs to work line-ups and utilize them effectively . He's never shown that ability before. However, we haven't had a PG that drops dimes the way hop does
mulletmike
Scout Team

Return to Basketball