PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Kennedy NOT eligible as of yet per LB

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Kennedy NOT eligible as of yet per LB

Postby ojaipony » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:15 am

Need MK's leadership on the floor. Personally, I'm really pulling for the young man and have no idea what the issue really is (I'm assuming he's putting in at least a little bit of effort in the classroom, and if that's the case, SMU needs to take care of this).
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The PonyGrad » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:39 am

I think we are working on outside scoring more that last season. Is this part of the reason? Or just adding players like Justin Martin?
8)
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby couch 'em » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:55 am

It is hard to break the mindset that we are one bad thing away from disaster......because this is the first time in 20 years for basketball or football that something of this magnitude has occurred and it ISN'T a disaster. Good things ahead
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Big12Mustang » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:58 am

couch 'em wrote:It is hard to break the mindset that we are one bad thing away from disaster......because this is the first time in 20 years for basketball or football that something of this magnitude has occurred and it ISN'T a disaster. Good things ahead

It will take time to make fans believe that we can be successful at both sports. Larry is putting in the work and hopefully our football coach next year will too.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:15 pm

The PonyGrad wrote:I think we are working on outside scoring more that last season. Is this part of the reason? Or just adding players like Justin Martin?
8)

I don't think there is a conscious inside scoring vs outside scoring thought process. I think it is more, "I want as many good players as I can get". LB did say in an interview that the teams outside shooting (3 pt range) is going to be even better this year and he has to maybe allow that to be more of the game plan which goes against his old scool style of trying to get layups.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangAlum05 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:37 pm

flockofseagulls wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Too much hand wringing, not enough rallying around family w/a pocket full of shells. Markus can really go, but we had too many bigs before Yanick got hurt last year, and I'm not even including Shawn.

Ben, Yanick and Cannen are future pay for play kids. If we need an undersized warhorse on rare occasion to play up, Sterling Brown will leave blood all over the court, if LB tells him too. There's a lot left in the cupboard

precisely where we, as a fan base, need to be mentally.

#1 the team is stacked and we will be immensely better than last year even without MK.
#2 stop acting like a victim all the time and soon enough, the bad things that happen won't seem so bad anymore.

We're fooling ourselves if we think we'll be a better team w/o MK. We will still be solid no doubt, but definitely not better. Losing MK hurts immensely. Cannen has no desire to play basketball at the next level, which is sad because he's extremely talented.
MustangAlum05

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:53 pm

No, we won't be as goo without MK. That is just a bunch of sunshine mess. However, the team will be good enough to get to the NCAA tournament. Just don't know how far we advance in the NCAA tournament.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:06 pm

I think losing Yanick last year was a considerably bigger loss than losing MK this year, that's all I'm saying. We're best at full strength, but it's not sun-shiner to believe we'll still be better than last years team, which was the best since forever
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponydawg » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:09 pm

hoopmanx wrote:but it's not sun-shiner to believe we'll still be better than last years team, which was the best since forever

Man that statement makes me giddy. Better than last year.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smudubs » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:21 pm

couch 'em wrote:Yes but they should be known. Everyone knows you don't stick an athlete in some like Martha Satz's class. There are other professors who aren't so biased

I don't have time to read everything in this tread, but I was an athlete who took multiple classes with Martha. She was one of the easier professors I had so that is not a fair statement regarding her.
Ponyfans.com voice of reason
smudubs
Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:33 pm

hoopmanx wrote:I think losing Yanick last year was a considerably bigger loss than losing MK this year, that's all I'm saying. We're best at full strength, but it's not sun-shiner to believe we'll still be better than last years team, which was the best since forever

I disagree. MK had a better overall skill set tan Yanick had last year. If LB has you doing damaging control fine but don't pour water down my back and tell me it's raining.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ponyboy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:43 pm

Rebel, to hold a contrary opinion is great. Makes us all better. Your abrasiveness is fine too. But what's up with the implication that X isn't giving his honest opinion, that he's somehow a LB spin control device?
ponyboy

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:48 pm

ponyboy wrote:Rebel, to hold a contrary opinion is great. Makes us all better. Your abrasiveness is fine too. But what's up with the implication that X isn't giving his honest opinion, that he's somehow a LB spin control device?

I said if. So don't get it twisted.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mrydel » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:52 pm

But you are discounting improvement from other players. I believe we will be better than last year with or without Kennedy. Best with him. I have never met LB.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:09 pm

Must be sign of the Apocylypse-because I agree with Hoopmanx too based on what both had shown up until the start of conference play. I saw every game in Garland and on TV. Kennedy was extremely rough around the edges and more Bull in a China closet. I saw good college rebounding skills but I didn't consider him a potential NBA prospect or anywhere close. Wow did he improve but I thought at the time that Moreira had greater potential. I can't really explain what happened after the injury though. Sometimes you are asking too much too soon.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball