PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Open practice observations

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Open practice observations

Postby Ponyneighbor » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:35 pm

From an untrained eye:
1. Immediately struck by the intensity of the practice. Seemed to operate at 100% game level of energy
2. Keith looked noticeably stronger/thicker than last year. He also looked more effective on D and with ball handling, based on a small sample set
3. MK looked slightly skinnier but not more athletic
4. Yanick looked good on both ends. Appeared way more confident on offense and protected the rim like early last year
5. MK and all three transfers were playing
6. I stayed 30 minutes after practice (when they kicked me out). Still shooting: Nic, Sterling, Keith. Nic and Keith looked great. Sterling - not so much
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Re: Open practice observations

Postby Junior » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:15 am

Did MK look academically eligible?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Monkeystang » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:10 pm

Junior wrote:Did MK look academically eligible?

No he did not.
Monkeystang
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:47 pm

Ponyneighbor wrote:From an untrained eye:
1. Immediately struck by the intensity of the practice. Seemed to operate at 100% game level of energy
2. Keith looked noticeably stronger/thicker than last year. He also looked more effective on D and with ball handling, based on a small sample set
3. MK looked slightly skinnier but not more athletic
4. Yanick looked good on both ends. Appeared way more confident on offense and protected the rim like early last year
5. MK and all three transfers were playing
6. I stayed 30 minutes after practice (when they kicked me out). Still shooting: Nic, Sterling, Keith. Nic and Keith looked great. Sterling - not so much

Great observations. Keith is going to break out.
ponyboy

Postby Ponyneighbor » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:57 pm

As an Illinois alumn who was there in the late 80s/early 90s, my first reaction when I saw him was "this is Kendall Gill v2.0". Gill was a very good shooter, but just too scrawny when he arrived on campus to have a big impact right away. But he got stronger each year and worked himself into a guy who had a very solid NBA career. Watching Keith fight through screens in practice that he wouldn't have last year made me think that he is now physically capable of really competing in the college game. Obviously being with the team all summer an knowing the plays won't hurt, either.
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:59 pm

I remember Gill, one of the two famous Nebraska Gills in the '80's
ponyboy

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:31 pm

KF looks huge this year compared to last. Even looks taller
Pony ^

Postby Pony_Law » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 pm

Have to add that I think Yanick looked like a monster at practice. Bump and down the floor and being supper aggressive offensively. Didn't look like the same player from last year. I think he is going to show why he was the number 1 juco in the country.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Treadway21 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:32 pm

Martin stood out IMO. He did a little bit of everything. Seems to fit right in and did not seem like a new player (neither did BE or Tolbert - just to a lesser extent). Though I am no hoops expert, nor pretend to be, I think Martin is really going to be a valuable addition.

My other observation:
The contrast of the last open practice I went to (LBs first one) and this one is that the guys all know their roles and spots. LB didn't do nearly as much stopping to coach basics, though he still stopped practice down plenty. He seemed to be coaching more subtle things rather than basic concepts. I may be off base, but with the team having had two years with the Godfather, they know his system and he coaches according to that skill level.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 am

We are looking more and more like a solid, well drilled and trained winning machine
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:11 am

My uncle who lives in Iowa City and is a huge Iowa Hawkeyes fan/follower made it to practice with me. He said our talent and athleticism blows Iowa's out of the water. Iowa has also been receiving some attention as a potential top 25 team I believe.

One other quick note, I love how Larry multiple times stressed dunking the ball to our bigs when under the basket.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:48 am

They seemed to really be pushing the ball a lot more than last year. but hey, that was just one practice. We shall see.
Pony ^

Return to Basketball